Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is this a good deal? Also, I'm looking for some advice....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good deal? Also, I'm looking for some advice....

'03 Evo, red, 15,xxx miles, optional wing, sunroof, $23,000.

I'm really needing something with more room (I'm a musician, and I carry a lot of equipment with me...I just need a backseat and a trunk), but I want something that's fun to drive too. I owe about $8,000 on my '03 Z06, and with trade-in, this car would fit the bill and be completely paid for upon me getting it. I really wish I could find a good low mileage '04 (preferably in silver) with SSL package on it, but this seems to be a pretty good deal. I'm thinking about going to drive it tomorrow. I know you guys are the experts on Evos, so is there anything in particular I should look for (particularly for signs of abuse, etc)? Is there anything that sucks about the '03 compared to the '04-'05 models (I ask since it's the first year the car was introduced here in the US)? I already know about the '05 change (10.5 hotside, hotter tune, etc), but I'm talking about mechanical problems, etc (like a weaker clutch, etc, for '03 models).

Based on your ownership experience, would you rate this as a good car to buy? I know they're fun to drive, but is the service/build quality/reliability really THAT bad?? I've heard conflicting stories with these issues.

Also, there's an MR with 5900 miles on it that I found for $32k, but that wouldn't save me but like $1000, so I don't know if I want to do that. It's graphite gray though, and I think it looks pretty nice. Does the sixth gear drop the revs enough to truly help mileage? Is the tranny a better unit? The reason I ask is that I've heard the synchros on the 5-spds SUCK (is that true?), and I haven't heard anything about the MR's 6-spd tranny.

I know this is long post....sorry. One more question though. Resale. I know all about the IX that's coming out soon. Has the '03 already taken it's big hit? Any clue as to how much the '03s will most likely sell for in a couple of years based on what we've already seen, and based on the fact that the IX will be out (just a more educated guess than mine is ok with me)? I just figured you guys would have a better take it than I would.

Thanks so much in advance for the replies.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too long to answer it all. Considering you only owe 8k on the z06, I'd suggest getting a brand new 05 GSR w/ssl for 29-30k and not to risk getting a used 03 with 20k miles or so. The MR used w/6k for 32k is not an option...you can buy it new for 32-33k, since that's invoice price.

People haven't had trouble with the 6spd yet, but it's still early. It shifts like a dream and is supposedly more beefy than the 5spd, at least according to the master tech at my local Mitsu who recently returned from 2 weeks of training on how to service it.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Too long to answer it all. Considering you only owe 8k on the z06, I'd suggest getting a brand new 05 GSR w/ssl for 29-30k and not to risk getting a used 03 with 20k miles or so. The MR used w/6k for 32k is not an option...you can buy it new for 32-33k, since that's invoice price.
Where can you find deals like that?? 29-30k for an SSL Evo??? 32-33k for an MR??? Houston dealers (like 4 of 'em that I've talked to) said they will absolutely not move off sticker more than $1000.....

If you know of somewhere I could get an '05 SSL Evo for $29-30k, please let me know. That'd rock.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ryan Bell
Where can you find deals like that?? 29-30k for an SSL Evo??? 32-33k for an MR??? Houston dealers (like 4 of 'em that I've talked to) said they will absolutely not move off sticker more than $1000.....

If you know of somewhere I could get an '05 SSL Evo for $29-30k, please let me know. That'd rock.
I don't know...ask some of the people who claim to have bought them for that much on this very site. I bought my MR for MSRP $34,999 + destination the day it came off the truck in October. Now that the IX's are coming out, the 05s will have to get pushed off the lot, so deals can be made. Even if you get 1k off MSRP, that's $33,999 for an MR and 32k or so for a GSR w/SSL. If you find a place with several 05s on the lot, just go in and tell them your price. If they don't accept it, then walk out. Do this until you find a place that will bite the bullet or wait until the IXs are en route...
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know...ask some of the people who claim to have bought them for that much on this very site. I bought my MR for MSRP $34,999 + destination the day it came off the truck in October. Now that the IX's are coming out, the 05s will have to get pushed off the lot, so deals can be made. Even if you get 1k off MSRP, that's $33,999 for an MR and 32k or so for a GSR w/SSL. If you find a place with several 05s on the lot, just go in and tell them your price. If they don't accept it, then walk out. Do this until you find a place that will bite the bullet or wait until the IXs are en route...
Fair enough. Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

I'm gonna keep my reply simple, try to get an 05 model if you could, the newer the better. I'd be real skeptical about buying a used EVO even SRT4 unless I really got to see how the old owner treated it...

also compared to the Z06, the EVO will turn lots of heads, especiallly from kids, people who know thing about sport compacts....

In addition, I am careful with where I park.....sometimes the fear of haters vandalizing my car goes thru my mind, but I cant allow that to stop me from living life. On the 4th of July weekend I took a roadtrip up into the mountains and parked my car amongst 100's of cars parked in the lot. I would check on my car from time to time and saw a few people walking around the car, checking it out, and even a father with his 10-12 year old son taking pics and posing with it. Although i didnt mind, there will still be a chance a punk might wanna do more than take picture of it. But anyhows, I moved the car closer to where I set up my grill/bbq so I could keep a closer eye on it. all in all, get the car, you'll love it, you'll have a back seat and a decent sized trunk...

Last edited by Blue Evo 8; Jul 12, 2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
I'm gonna keep my reply simple, try to get an 05 model if you could, the newer the better. I'd be real skeptical about buying a used EVO even SRT4 unless I really got to see how the old owner treated it...
I looked the owner up on public data (based on the license plate in the picture), and he's owned a LOT of nice cars in the last 4 years. Porsche 911, BMW M3, BMW X5, a couple of older non-supercharged/turbocharged AMG Merc-Benzs, etc.....all kept for a short amount of time.

I think he's got a 350Z now.

I guess i just wanted to see if this was his first "fast" car (people usually mistreat their first fast car).

But that aside, if I could get a new SSL '05 for $29-30k, then yes, I'd want to do that. I've just never seen a dealer offer anything even close to that on a new Evo with SSL. Come to think of it, I've never seen one offered for under $32k (with SSL).
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will tell you I like the evo a lot. I also went from a 2 seater and love having the back seat and still being able to keep the performance. I to would say to stay away form used on the evo, never know what someone could have done.

Good luck
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

I looked the owner up on public data (based on the license plate in the picture), and he's owned a LOT of nice cars in the last 4 years. Porsche 911, BMW M3, BMW X5, a couple of older non-supercharged/turbocharged AMG Merc-Benzs, etc.....all kept for a short amount of time.

I think he's got a 350Z now.

I guess i just wanted to see if this was his first "fast" car (people usually mistreat their first fast car).

But that aside, if I could get a new SSL '05 for $29-30k, then yes, I'd want to do that. I've just never seen a dealer offer anything even close to that on a new Evo with SSL. Come to think of it, I've never seen one offered for under $32k (with SSL).

I never was really interested in the ssl package so i wouldnt know too much about the pricing. I know a guy near me who paid 31K for his EVO with SSL.

I sat in an EVO with SSL, and yes sure, it was nice, had all the goodies, luxury, but I wanted performance and stuck with the regular EVO w/o sunroof.

anyhow good luck with your decision making, get whatever will suit your needs fit your budget and make you happy.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

I never was really interested in the ssl package so i wouldnt know too much about the pricing. I know a guy near me who paid 31K for his EVO with SSL.

I sat in an EVO with SSL, and yes sure, it was nice, had all the goodies, luxury, but I wanted performance and stuck with the regular EVO w/o sunroof.

anyhow good luck with your decision making, get whatever will suit your needs fit your budget and make you happy.
Thanks for the input bro. BTW, I think one of my friends was on here the other day, and posted some jackass reply under this screen name, so don't sweat it if it was you that he was talking to (I want to say it was, but I may be wrong). He does stuff like that and then laughs when I find out later. He did that on like three boards I'm on.

I'll look around, and see what I find. Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe that's why you were so surprised. I didn't say any dealership is offering this much. In fact, I'd bet that NO dealership is offering an 05 GSR w/SSL for this price. I said that is the price you should try to get, and by "get," I meant through negotiation. You are in a perfect position, because you already have a great car, so you don't have to buy right away. This type of buyer can go in, name a price, walk right out and never come back. You make it clear that if they want to sell the car RIGHT AWAY with no hesitation, then they will call you and agree to the price you demanded. Also, make it clear that they are not to bother you unless they are going to offer that exact price.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input bro. BTW, I think one of my friends was on here the other day, and posted some jackass reply under this screen name, so don't sweat it if it was you that he was talking to (I want to say it was, but I may be wrong). He does stuff like that and then laughs when I find out later. He did that on like three boards I'm on.

I'll look around, and see what I find. Thanks.

yeah no problem. and since you are a musician, I'm sure the EVO will get the job done if you have to carry some basic equipment around. As long as you arent trying to carry around equipment to start a rock concert you'd be fine, but if so I'd suggest getting a Uhaul or an SUV.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe that's why you were so surprised. I didn't say any dealership is offering this much. In fact, I'd bet that NO dealership is offering an 05 GSR w/SSL for this price. I said that is the price you should try to get, and by "get," I meant through negotiation. You are in a perfect position, because you already have a great car, so you don't have to buy right away. This type of buyer can go in, name a price, walk right out and never come back. You make it clear that if they want to sell the car RIGHT AWAY with no hesitation, then they will call you and agree to the price you demanded. Also, make it clear that they are not to bother you unless they are going to offer that exact price.
I never really looked at like that, but yeah, you are right. I never thought about the fact that I don't look like I'm aching to get into something fast (given that I drove up in something fast to begin with).....which gives me more bargaining power. Good call. Thanks.

Now about that warranty/service/build quality/paint issue I raised? What's the deal? Are you satisfied with the service you've gotten? Is the paint job really THAT bad? Have you had to bring your car in for service every two seconds? I guess it's just hard for me to believe that Mitsu is THAT bad, given all of the good longevity reports I've always gotten from all of my 1g/2g Eclipse friends.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

yeah no problem. and since you are a musician, I'm sure the EVO will get the job done if you have to carry some basic equipment around. As long as you arent trying to carry around equipment to start a rock concert you'd be fine, but if so I'd suggest getting a Uhaul or an SUV.

No, I'm an vocalist/acoustic guitar player for Lakewood Church in Houston. I don't have THAT much equipment, but it's enough to necessitate a trunk and a back seat. I'm not secretly starting a world tour or anything.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

I never really looked at like that, but yeah, you are right. I never thought about the fact that I don't look like I'm aching to get into something fast (given that I drove up in something fast to begin with).....which gives me more bargaining power. Good call. Thanks.

Now about that warranty/service/build quality/paint issue I raised? What's the deal? Are you satisfied with the service you've gotten? Is the paint job really THAT bad? Have you had to bring your car in for service every two seconds? I guess it's just hard for me to believe that Mitsu is THAT bad, given all of the good longevity reports I've always gotten from all of my 1g/2g Eclipse friends.
I've had no service issues so far. I took my car in to get the windshield rattle TSB done and to check on the brake squeak under light load. They did the TSB and my free 5k service, but said the brake noise was normal for performance pads. Everything else I read was inline with this synopsis, so I just moved on. I really only hear it under very light load, and my braking is in no way affected negatively. At this point, I actually can't remember the last time I heard them squeak now that I mention it.

I haven't had anything go wrong mechanically except for my clutch at 7500 miles, but that would have to be considered all my fault, since I got too excited my last time at the track and went to 3 drag strips in 24 hours en route to my 12.22 and ~111mph traps with minimal mods. I accidentally got into an import bracket race while trying to test 'n' tune, and since I kept winning, I kept having to race. By the time it was all said and done, I won the damn thing, but had done 10+ runs in one afternoon with 3-4 done in the last 30 mins as the field diminished quickly. On the way home, my abused flywheel and pressure plate gave up the ghost. When I saw the clutch afterwards, there was still about half the material left on the clutch disk itself, but the flywheel and pressure plate were burned into mirrors. I have no doubt that the stock clutch would have last a lot longer had I not gone crazy that one day...and it would last VERY long with no drag racing. My paint hasn't done any chipping, but I also had a clear bra installed a few days after buying the car. Others I know have complained about the paint being very shallow and easy to scratch/chip, though.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal? Also, I'm looking for some advice....