Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clear Bra on WW Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra on WW Evo

I am curious if anyone else with a WW evo has a clear bra, stone guard, etc on their car. If so are you having any yellowing problems. I have Venture Shield on mine. The first few months were fine, but as time goes by the tape is slightly yellowing. Really I should say the color is closer to Cream than yellow. The company suggested I use hot water to "open the pores of the clear bra" then clean it and it would pull dirt out of the bra. Needless to say that did not work. The strip behind the trunk lid is the worst. This would be a non issue if there was a "certified dealer/installer" in Dallas. I was told they would replace the clear bra if I drove to Houston. Anyway, long story short; does anyone have the same problem with other brands of clear bras?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is fine with the 3m film but I had it for 3 months tho. My friend had his on a white WRX for 2 years without any problems. Gluck with yours!

Tom
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

let me know how that works out for you i am going to have my bumpers painted again due to salt on the road kicking up on my car, and i want to get that stuff done
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

I've only heard good things about 3M clear bras... my brother has one on his BMW and has not had one problem. The guy with venture shield told me he suggests to the dealers not to sell the product for white vehicles. He was extremely nice over the phone, but he could have been blowing smoke up my butt too. Anyways, I'm debating on wether or not to even have it redone anyway; atleast with that brand. I might just switch to 3M. A clear bra is a necessity in Dallas since everyone here thinks drafting and cutting you off are pass times.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

I JUST had the clear bar put on my car yesterday, cost me about $750 and it's from 3M. I was recommanded to this guy by a friend, for I've actually seen his work before I went and got it done. The guy gave me a life time warranty on the bra, both material and installation, so if anything goes wrong I can just go back and get it redone, let's hope that never happens.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Avery brand film on my car. I will be watching it closely. It has a yellow hue to it under lights at night. A car detailer (from Texas) that was doing overspray removal work here in California warned that Clear Bra products dry out over time making the film impossible to remove without sanding! resulting in the need to re-paint the surface.

Hopefully someone that lives in a hot climate can warn us if this is true. I will have it removed before damage to my paint can occur
Old Jul 19, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

I have the dealer installed clear bra on my car. It's not yellowing, however I notice I've hit a few bugs while driving and some of the blood stains stayed on it. I've tried just about everything to get them off. I'm going to ask the dealer what to do to get this crap off when I go for my first oil change.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

You have to just let the Sun fade it away with time, The bug guts stain the Bra

Originally Posted by vanisher
I have the dealer installed clear bra on my car. It's not yellowing, however I notice I've hit a few bugs while driving and some of the blood stains stayed on it. I've tried just about everything to get them off. I'm going to ask the dealer what to do to get this crap off when I go for my first oil change.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Mine is yellowing too it is a 3m brand done by autobahnd
Old Jul 19, 2005, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

i have the 3m on my front bumper and hood. It is not yellowing as of now, and it has been on for quite a long time. The pieces that were on the side yellowed, so I removed them. I also had a piece on the rear bumper (exhaust). It yellowed, so I removed that as well.

However, the front is still going strong. And I find it rather easy to get bugs and **** off of it.

My only question is....do you guys wax it? I have not as of yet. Mine is the 3M product, by the way.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old Jul 19, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
750 bux to clear bra the front? For that you could just get all nice and rock chipped then get the hood and bumper repainted. Maybe im just not **** enough to care about a few nicks in a street car.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

I have been waxing mine. The only problem is... the bras are pourous. So if its really hot more **** can get under the bra... cold is the opposite obviously. I have junk underneath mine in spots, but its hard to see. All in all I'm glad the front end doesn't have chips, but is is yellowing some. I'd rather see yellow than grey from rock chips. That makes the car look like crap. Most people don't notice the bra until I point it out to them. I notice the yellow bc I'm looking for it.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

USE 3M Clear Bra.. they are High Quality. dont get Yellow too.. Any color should be work.. I have Friend who Dist Manager for Seattle/Tacoma 3M market Automotive Aftermarkets. Cuz im Collision Tech and Custom Refinish too
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2GDSM
750 bux to clear bra the front? For that you could just get all nice and rock chipped then get the hood and bumper repainted. Maybe im just not **** enough to care about a few nicks in a street car.
Yeah it's not cheap, but it's cheaper in the long run. You can choose to repaint the front when it gets to a point you can't stand, but that wouldn't stop the chipping from happening again...
Old May 21, 2006, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

i heard ventureshield product is the best....comes with lifetime warranty
but 3m comes with only 5 years warranty,.,,,
????

Quick Reply: Clear Bra on WW Evo