Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What does 300whp translate to at the crank?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My stock 05 evo rs dynoed at 277whp STOCK...!

I have posted my dynosheets some months ago....

Not all cars(EVOS) are created equal..............
Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rastmp

then the dyno reads high. lol.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But you haven't backed it up with any timeslips, so no one believes it. It's too easy to inflate numbers with incorrect dyno settings...

Also, your dyno sheet didn't look right at all. Your hp suddenly spiked high above 6500 rpm, which didn't make any sense. You weren't making anywhere close to 277 anywhere else on the HP curve. You also said your boost spiked at 1.4 bar (20.3psi) then fell off at 5000 rpm, yet somehow you shot up another 50whp after the boost tapered...

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jul 21, 2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

average for most cars are 15 percent
Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There got to be something wrong with your dyno.. you are making more power to the wheels(AWD) that what the manufacturer even claims.

I would say that a 250WHP is fairly the highest number we should see in a AWD dyno from a stock 05.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

The guys at proven testen my car 3 times and checked it.....the next guy after me dynoed at 228whp ...same car 05 GSR...

Im just telling you what the readings are, not trying to fool anyone.....
Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

about two months after I got my car I had it dynoed...only had a K&N intake no maf pipe, just the cone filter. It hit 248 awhp and 249ft/lb. The same day I went to the track and in three runs did a best of 13.497@101.8. The dyno was a dyno dynamics done at Dynocomp in Scottsdale AZ in FEB 2005
Old Jul 21, 2005, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

The guys at proven testen my car 3 times and checked it.....the next guy after me dynoed at 228whp ...same car 05 GSR...

Im just telling you what the readings are, not trying to fool anyone.....
And I bet his curve looked much more natural instead of having strange spikes at 6500 that didn't match the curve on any other 05 like yours. Again, until you get a timeslip, it will just be a meaningless claim. You don't have to launch or void your warranty to find out your 1/4-mile MPH at the strip...
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

You guys are tough...I would love to go to the strip....my only concern is my warranty. You know how Mitsubishi operates.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

You guys are tough...I would love to go to the strip....my only concern is my warranty. You know how Mitsubishi operates.
Yes, I've done 35+ drag strip passes, and Mitsu couldn't know or care less...
Old Jul 22, 2005, 07:02 AM

A driveline loss is a driveline loss and there's no getting around it.
And there's always percentages for each kind.
That said, cars are not always made equal. For example the EVO, somewhere, somehow WHP differs to as much as 10 maybe even more between cars when dynoed hence the explanation for factory ratings being low or higher. With the exceptions of course of a few, e.g. Mazda cars which is known to overrate HP ratings.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alex_alex
ceteris peribus = "all else being equal"

so what you're saying is "production cars have variances, all else being equal."

Explain that one.
That isn't clear?

If you have 10 Evos that are "stock," all else being equal as you so nicely translated, will they all make the exact same power? The answer in all likelihood is NO.

A sampling of 'identical' or similar cars will all make different power on the same dyno on the same day. The range might be a few percent, or more. Even with completely stock cars, owned by 10 different people, there are many other variables like gas used, break-in, maintenance, etc. etc. ad naseum. However, even if the cars were controlled and "ideal' so that they were the broken in the same, maintained the same, etc. Do you think they would make the exact same power on a dyno? Probably not, since there are manufacturing differences, albeit probably slight.

Does that make sense?

FB

Last edited by berkel; Jul 22, 2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by berkel
That isn't clear?

If you have 10 Evos that are "stock," all else being equal as you so nicely translated, will they all make the exact same power? The answer in all likelihood is NO.

A sampling of 'identical' or similar cars will all make different power on the same dyno on the same day. The range might be a few percent, or more. Even with completely stock cars, owned by 10 different people, there are many other variables like gas used, break-in, maintenance, etc. etc. ad naseum. However, even if the cars were controlled and "ideal' so that they were the broken in the same, maintained the same, etc. Do you think they would make the exact same power on a dyno? Probably not, since there are manufacturing differences, albeit probably slight.

Does that make sense?

FB
the point is, evo's make varying amounts of power EXACTLY BECAUSE of these tiny variances that we can't see or quantify. Its completely circular to assume, all else being equal, that variances (in power or otherwise) would still occur.

I disagree that if car variances were all controlled for and "ideal" they would still make different power. The problem is, it is practically impossible for all these variances TO BE controlled for.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

the point is, evo's make varying amounts of power EXACTLY BECAUSE of these tiny variances that we can't see or quantify. Its completely circular to assume, all else being equal, that variances (in power or otherwise) would still occur.

I disagree that if car variances were all controlled for and "ideal" they would still make different power. The problem is, it is practically impossible for all these variances TO BE controlled for.
Everyone knows the spells cast on the 4G63 don't always come out the same...
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quibbling about the nuances of "ideal" conditions isn't really worthwhile. You can disagree that if the variances were "ideal" they would still make different power, but you can't prove it either.

I graduated as an Econ major 10 years ago, and ceteribus paribus is used in a similar context to discuss economic theory, not meant to convey scientific "exact" or "ideal experiments More of a "real world" example... Now I forgot what was the point of this thread. Here, have a

FB

Quick Reply: What does 300whp translate to at the crank?