Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buschur racing upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur racing upgrades?

I am working my way through buschur racings sequence of upgrades for the Evo. I just finished stage 1. Now in stage 1 it says you can substitute the S-AFC II for the buschur flash, with their settings, which I have done. My question is can you do the same thing in Stage 2. I am assuming the the S-AFC II takes car of the necessary fuel modifications and the flash does other stuff like raising the rev limiter and removing fuel cut off. My question is, how necessary is the flash? I mean I know it is good to get it flashed and all. I just don't want to do anything harmful to the car. Would be running stage two stuff without the flash be bad in any way? I am a little confused because if you look at the stages on the website, under the as tested part, on stage 1 and 2 it says the ecu mods are the buschur flash, but under stage 3 it says "none" next to ecu mods w/buschur flash availible in parentheses.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

nothing here?
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 8urv8
nothing here?
Ask Buscher, talk to Jarrod he can fill you in on what you need to know.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

give em a call. they change their minds about sequences and products based on testing, so Jarrod or Dave can definitely help you out...
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:26 PM

I asked similar questions when I was there a few days ago and David said they both accomplish basically the same things (the safc will allow more fine tuning after all the parts are in) but the Stage packages were designed and tested with Dynoflash and he has pre-set flashes according to which stage you get and what octane gas is available in your state. I believe the quoted HP and torque numbers on the website were verified when Al was there to help tune the stage packages with his flash.

Plus, David said that the safc is just something else that people would be tempted to tinker with after getting home with the car and if you don't know what you're doing you could mess everything up.

I would ask him and see what he thinks based on your situation but I opted for the flash because David recommended it over the safc.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get the AFC, you will definitely want to get a wideband and probably an EGT guage too if your are doing the tuning. Not sure if there are any devices out there that are reasonable to watch knock but that would also be helpful. If they tune the AFC or provide the numbers, you would probably be fine and have more flexibility in the future. I am very satisfied with the Dynoflash though and am glad I went that route.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I had the stage 1 reflash done and I was confused when I ordered my stage 2 would I need to get another flash. After talking to them over at Buschur you can get the flash but its basically the same flash as the stage 1. Very little will change just from changing the upper intercooler pipe and MAF pipe in terms of performance. I ran without the flash for about 2 months and my car did fine. Once I installed the stage 3 the car def needed to be reflashed again.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DragNRacing
If you get the AFC, you will definitely want to get a wideband and probably an EGT guage too if your are doing the tuning. Not sure if there are any devices out there that are reasonable to watch knock but that would also be helpful. If they tune the AFC or provide the numbers, you would probably be fine and have more flexibility in the future. I am very satisfied with the Dynoflash though and am glad I went that route.
I bought mine from Mach V motorsports, but it comes with settings from buschur racing. quite nice, all I had to do was hook it up and set it to the what the figured out worked good