Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Infinity speakers and Sub

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infinity speakers and amp.

I got the sun, sound and leather package on my 05 and I want to replace the head unit with something that plays mp3's and sirius. I don't want to replace any of the speakers or the amp. Does anybody have a wiring diagram of what the speakers ohm rating is and how the head unit connects to the amp.

I am assuming the speakers are hopefully 4ohm and the head unit connects to the amp via 4 composite cables because it's 4 channels?
Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

you need a wiring harness mad by metra. it is part # 70-7003 ($25). You can call your local Circuit City to see if they have it or you can special order elsewhere. I ordered over the phone from lafayette electronics for $18. pm if you need the info. It has everything you need in order to hook up to the factory amp. no splicing and very quick hook up. trust me on this one. i spent about 2 days doing research. I got a Pioneer head unit (DEH-7700MP) and it really brings out the factory speakers.

Last edited by twinevo; Jul 22, 2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 02:04 PM

Factory w/out amp

Just to add info... I do not have the factory amp and installed the Pioneer DEH-770MP and ipod hookup. Bought it all on ebay for about $300 and had installed for $100. I do not think they used the Metra thingy.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by toddcfii
Just to add info... I do not have the factory amp and installed the Pioneer DEH-770MP and ipod hookup. Bought it all on ebay for about $300 and had installed for $100. I do not think they used the Metra thingy.
you got ripped. it is only $219 on yahoo electronics (click the linke below) with free shipping and installed myself (took less than an hour). the metra thingy is needed if you have the SSL package which comes with a factory amp and subwoofer.

http://www.millionbuy.com/piodehp770mp.html

Last edited by twinevo; Jul 22, 2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

he said he got it WITH the ipod adapter for 300.. not too bad of a deal
Old Jul 22, 2005, 04:36 PM

So basically all the speaker outs coming from the deck go into the amp then it goes to the speakers from there instead of using the rca's. Doesn't that cause distortion since aftermarket decks supply power to the speaker wires then that goes to the amp then they are amplified again and sent to the speakers. Or does the infinity deck power the 4 door speakers and then it sends of a low pass signal to the amplifier? I thought the infinity amp powered all the speakers in the car and the deck doesn't power anything?

I used to be a big car audio enthusiast so you can throw stuff at me I'll understand
Old Jul 22, 2005, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

I will be in the same boat soon. I want Sirius Sat Radio, but don't want to cut into factory harness or get the ghey FM adapter.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 09:30 PM

Bump.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8nut
So basically all the speaker outs coming from the deck go into the amp then it goes to the speakers from there instead of using the rca's. Doesn't that cause distortion since aftermarket decks supply power to the speaker wires then that goes to the amp then they are amplified again and sent to the speakers. Or does the infinity deck power the 4 door speakers and then it sends of a low pass signal to the amplifier? I thought the infinity amp powered all the speakers in the car and the deck doesn't power anything?

I used to be a big car audio enthusiast so you can throw stuff at me I'll understand
The speaker outs from your aftermarket head unit are unused in the SSL Evo. You'll use the front and rear Amp RCA jacks to connect to the harness. It's a simple installation. Basically, the RCA outputs go to the factory crossover (amp) which then splits the signal to the front/rear/subwoofer

edit: if you need more technical details, i recommend calling the techs at metra (800.253.TECH ). tell them you have the infinity system on your evo and they'll go from there. they explained everything to me and i'm pretty much a novice. get the harness and you'll understand everything when you pull the factory unit and see all the wires.

Last edited by twinevo; Jul 23, 2005 at 11:06 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:09 PM

GREAT, so there are 4 rca's coming out the back of my deck to go to the amp. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. That is great!!!