Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I just signed my settlement agreement with MMNA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a ton of mods on my car and had the 2 front tires wear out at 4k. should my warranty have been denied due to mods....no... I ended up getting 2 new front tires. the dealership found out by aligning the car that it had been out since day one(they say from the straps that secure it in transport). took a few calls to mmna, but they paid, and should have.
It'd probably be safe to assume that one of your mods was to lower your ride as well right? Well, when you lower your vehicle you're suppose to get an alignment and that should have fixed the mis-alignment you claim you weren't aware of when you had purchased the vehicle from day one. I'm the type that can tell if my car is pulling one way or the other on the freeway or street even if it's a slight pull or sway. How do you expect mitsubishi motors to make a profit when they are constantly having to warranty cars with questionable mods? If the aftermarket people are that so much smarter on what improves a car and what lasts longer why don't they build a car from scratch themselves and offer warranties on it? I'd like to see what happens with that. Mitsubishi spends a ton on research and development and then comes up with a product with certain specs that they can vouch for 5-10 years. Altering it by simply adding wheels that are slightly wider may wear down the wheel bearings sooner and mitsu may know this otherwise they would've made 8.5" wide wheels standard. Does this sound unreasonable? Man, I hate to be the voice of reason but sometimes you got to put yourself in the manufacturer's shoes people.

Last edited by savaho; Oct 4, 2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$hit no that doesn't sound reasonable. I never said they should warranty wheel bearings if you change your wheels....I SAID POWERTRAIN. Of course, if you put a cat-back exhaust on your car, your cat back exhaust should no longer be warrantied...thats common sense.

I mean, mitsu doesn't make things "standard" because they are the best. They have a target price, and things like wider/bigger wheels and tires don't fit in the budget...has absoloutly NOTHING to do with whats best for performance.

Bottom line is, he did NOTHING to his car to warrant them not fixing his COMMON engine misfire. thats CRAP.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
Bottom line is, he did NOTHING to his car to warrant them not fixing his COMMON engine misfire. thats CRAP.
Wow this thread is back eh!

BTW the above is precisely true. Lest I get into double standards whereby mitsu was buying back cars which were modded for this very same problem.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

dont forget about emisions standards in america and your 91 **** gas that changes the product Mitsu created. JDM evos handle more power fine, our cars are built to handle JDM power but then the limitations set forth by your "great state" toned it down a little. so should no JDM evo be warrantied or is solely based on the fact that it is different from what you bought from the dealer?
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by savaho
It'd probably be safe to assume that one of your mods was to lower your ride as well right? Well, when you lower your vehicle you're suppose to get an alignment and that should have fixed the mis-alignment you claim you weren't aware of when you had purchased the vehicle from day one. I'm the type that can tell if my car is pulling one way or the other on the freeway or street even if it's a slight pull or sway. How do you expect mitsubishi motors to make a profit when they are constantly having to warranty cars with questionable mods? If the aftermarket people are that so much smarter on what improves a car and what lasts longer why don't they build a car from scratch themselves and offer warranties on it? I'd like to see what happens with that. Mitsubishi spends a ton on research and development and then comes up with a product with certain specs that they can vouch for 5-10 years. Altering it by simply adding wheels that are slightly wider may wear down the wheel bearings sooner and mitsu may know this otherwise they would've made 8.5" wide wheels standard. Does this sound unreasonable? Man, I hate to be the voice of reason but sometimes you got to put yourself in the manufacturer's shoes people.
If you did any research you would know that misalignment from the factory was a common problem on the 2003 Evo's.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by savaho
You need to do some more research on the p0300 issue. This is not a t-case/clutch/brakes/suspension clunk problem. Mitsu has issued 2 (maybe 3?) ecu reflash TSBs for this very problem, and none have proven effective yet they still toss it around as the solution. The fact that Mitsu's own Tech Line could never give a straight answer about the problem proves this fact, that they (Mitsu) are unwilling to look into it any further. Countless people have sold their evos back to Mitsu (both modded AND stock) via the lemon law for this issue specifically, they just decided to take mine to the next step (or their lawyer did as I speculate).

Another piece of evidence would be the idea that people's fuel injectors were causing this problem (I don't know of ANYONE who got rid of this issue by replacing the injectors) and in fact, if they found this to be the issue, they would quickly try to blame the customer/owner for using "race" gas or other gas additives.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NapervilleEVO
dont forget about emisions standards in america and your 91 **** gas that changes the product Mitsu created. JDM evos handle more power fine, our cars are built to handle JDM power but then the limitations set forth by your "great state" toned it down a little. so should no JDM evo be warrantied or is solely based on the fact that it is different from what you bought from the dealer?
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here...?