Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Transfer Case Blown?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2005, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case Blown?

Hi All,
I have done the search and Im still not quite sure about the answer. Ever since Ive driven my MR the past few days I keep on hearing a rattle. Everytime I shut off my car or while driving and I let off the gas while still in gear. I have read that are throw out bearing rattles a lot and not to worry so I figure that might be it. But problem is everybody says it doesnt rattle when you push in your clutch to turn off your car, but mine still does.

Another question is as the title says. My car is driving fine. However, everybody says a telling sign of bad transfer case is the airplane sound. I mean I have never noticed it before but there is a slight airplane vacuum sound when Im accelerating 1-2. But after that there is no more. My question is how loud is the sound suppost to be? I cant hear it unless I really listen for it and my radios off? Just anybody that has experienced blown transfer case plz give input. Thank you.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

my first gear whines too...but i hear it in every evo
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

post this in the engine/driveline section and you'll get a lot of answers.

Did you take your car in to the dealership yet? do you have any mods?
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Only mods I have are downpipe and exhaust. The downpipe is rubbing against the transfer case. So thought maybe the heat from the downpipe is making the transfer case oil too hot. Is this possible? But yea Im taking it to the dealer next weekend.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

i know the sound your talking about.. and i dont believe that is the TC.. i have the same thing.. plus the rattle. Thats normal. I believe you hear the TC going bad when you let your foot off the pedal in neutral while coasting and you can still hear sounds.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

the airplane sound your talking about is not the normal whine you slightly hear when accelerating from 1 -2

The airplane sound will be heard cruising at almost any speed on the freeway(ive had a blown t-case)

Although all of this could have something to do with your clutch (if its anything)
Old Jul 24, 2005, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Cool. Ok so I guess the airplane sound is normal in 1-2. I thought it was but just wanted to confirm. Yea the rattle is more annoying then worrisome. My car is driving fine. But I gotta always keep my music on to blend out the rattle.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Its probably your downpipe rattling against your tranny/tc ... it happens when there isn't enough clearance .... a lot of vibrations are passed through that pipe .... check underneath the car and look at the clearance ... if your TC was blown it would probably sound like a howling/rattling/grinding noise ...
Old Jul 24, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Nah it used to be that. I took care of that already. I have heatwrap around the pipe and kartboy hangers. No more DP rattle. This rattle is a recent development after it got real hot in MD the past couple weeks.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
heatwrap causes rusting when it gets wet
Old Jul 24, 2005, 04:20 PM

Well I have had some experience with transfer case problems. I brought my car in for a 5th gear grind under warrenty. When I got the car back 15 minutes down the road I heard an unbelievably high pitched whinning noise. I concluded that they had forgotten to put transfer case fluid in. I got the car back and they gave me a run around but I eventually got a new transfer case. I noticed even with the new one that when i get off the gas, especially in the lower gears there is a slightly wierd whinning noise. But from what i heard that is normal.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Oh I hope its normal. Thanks.