Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

help me fight the dealership!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me fight the dealership!

I have an 03 evo GSR and since I bought the car it makes a humming/ whirring noise when I downshift especially shifting from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd. I took it for a test drive with a mechanic, who works for mitsu a few thousand miles later. He said he heard the sound and it was not normal. He also thought it was the throwout bearing possibly. I left the car there and the next day I get a call from the service desk telling me that the sound is normal. I was annoyed but I let it go thinking maybe the sound would go away. Now I have 17k miles and I had the regional rep drive the car who said he heard the sound and thinks it's not the clutch but the drivetrain and I should wait 2k more miles and see if it goes away. LOL! I complain to the service desk and the rep tells me there might not be anything mechanically wrong and he doesn't want to take apart a new transmission for a sound. He says he checked the TSB's and nothing came up and he is going to call the techline or something. So now I'm back with the car and I am wondering what I should do to get them to fix the sound. HELP!!!!
Old Jul 23, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like tranny whine...change your tranny fluid and look for metal shavings on the drain plug.

Have them do it and be there when they pull the plug...if you have shavings then tranny work is in your future.

If you don't have shavings, the fluid change should help / eliminate the noise...it worked for me.

Good luck!
Old Jul 23, 2005, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i heard you will always see shavings on your first change. i have no clue really but it sounds bad.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:09 AM

I have a huge write up on this "normal" whirring/grinding - tranny noise. They took the whole tranny apart and found nothing!! The only thing that was accomplished was a lot of idle time for my car. (Car only had 2500 miles)

As of right now, I am driving it and have determined that if it breaks they will replace it and everything else related. So good luck and let me know if they find anything.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

it happen to me too. after i change the tranny fluid, the noise is gone
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:35 AM

PersianEVO-

Here is a link to my post. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=145688