Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pulled over in wifes accord, need help, seems fishy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled over in wifes accord, need help, seems fishy

Ok I guess the question is, can a cop pull you over and give you a speeding ticket if he personally never saw you speeding and never saw the radar. Two cops sitting drivers window to drivers window talking. The cop facing the other way pulled me over, he was going of the word of the cop that was facing me. As he did not have a radar in his own car. The ticket said I can pay the amount bellow and he forgot to put that in there. Hope this is a little better. Any help is appreciated This took place in Goldsboro and they said I was doing 50mph in a 35 zone. Also the road I was on before was 45mph, then I made a left turn and a few blocks later I was pulled over. there was no sign to show what the speed was on the street I was pulled over on until about 300yards after the 2 cops. I had radar detector in my car and it went of, I looked at my speed and it was 39mph so I figured I was ok. They said I was doing 50mph so I asked to see the radar, because my car had a NC inspection and according to this cop my Speedo is messed up. He said he did not have a radar in his car, and that the other cop with him had it.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 09:24 AM

I'm pretty sure it's legal. In Colorado, a lot of times one cop clocks your speed and radios ahead to another cop to pull you over. Also no posted speed limit means that you should go the limit of the county or whatever. Most places aroud here without speed signs means 30 or 35mph.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

I cant speak for NC but here in California a cop could write you the ticket even if another cop had the radar. Its kind of like this, a lot of states use aircraft to patrol highways for speeders, when they time somebody they radio to a unit on the ground to write the ticket. They dont land the plane and chase you down. It used to be that you could get off on a technicality if they forgot to fill out any part of the ticket but you would have to get the cop up on the stand to question it and it would have to be something important like the speed you were going. Now in California if you fight a ticket the cop has to appear or the judge will dismiss the ticket, you might have a shot there cuz it seems like maybe both of those cops would have to show up and there is more of a chance one wouldnt make it. Good luck!
Old Jul 24, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Fight it. If you don't have a lawyer, I would get one. It's your word against there's without radar. You can tell the judge your story. Seems like a good fight. I hope your record is clean. That will help.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by damianhindley
Ok I guess the question is, can a cop pull you over and give you a speeding ticket if he personally never saw you speeding and never saw the radar. Two cops sitting drivers window to drivers window talking. The cop facing the other way pulled me over, he was going of the word of the cop that was facing me. As he did not have a radar in his own car. The ticket said I can pay the amount bellow and he forgot to put that in there. Hope this is a little better. Any help is appreciated This took place in Goldsboro and they said I was doing 50mph in a 35 zone. Also the road I was on before was 45mph, then I made a left turn and a few blocks later I was pulled over. there was no sign to show what the speed was on the street I was pulled over on until about 300yards after the 2 cops. I had radar detector in my car and it went of, I looked at my speed and it was 39mph so I figured I was ok. They said I was doing 50mph so I asked to see the radar, because my car had a NC inspection and according to this cop my Speedo is messed up. He said he did not have a radar in his car, and that the other cop with him had it.

Just ask for the radar receipt in court if they don't have it there is no evidence that it happened so appeal. Damn I think there is even a law stated here in NC that says something like that cops can't have there radars on unless the person has done something that makes it look like they are speeding. Such as passing another car they can't just sit on the side of the road and tag everyone. I have to look that one up.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

If you take it to court, both officers will have to be present, or it gets thrown out. This is what makes tickets from the airplane cops so easy to beat. It's usually hard to get the officer from the plane and the cop from the ground who issued the ticket to show up on the same day.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take it to court
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

the biggest fight you have isnt that another cop pulled you over but that he failed to properly fill the ticket out. you said he left the amout of the ticket blank? i had that happen once and the judge had to dismiss the ticket because there was no documentation of the amount. its like dismissing a case because there is not enough evidence to procecute.