Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

storing my EVO and car insurance and tips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2005, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
storing my EVO and car insurance and tips

Hey guys,

I won't need my Evo for the next 2 years in college (in St. Louis), so my parents and I have decided to store it at home in Atlanta. The questions is: I want to keep my license plate, and will be paying the tax at end of each year (its not that much). But insurance... It costs a lot, and I am wondering if the law lets me cancel my insurance for the two year that my Evo is in storage, and then re apply for it when I'm finished w/ college.

Also, any of you guys know any tips on storing the car for this long? My parents will be home, so they can start the car up occasionally and such, but both of them cannot drive manual.

Thank you guys very much,
mike
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

bump,

would like to know as well about the tips on storing it for a long time. I might be going out west to wyoming on for a work contract for about a year. I will be home about once a month to drive it, but i dont think thats enough, and i really only have 1 friend that i can trust to drive it around once in awhile when im gone. But im still kinda worried about him driving it
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:16 PM

Why not take the cars with you guys. College is a blast, and to have an evo on campus would be way fun.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

i agree with kama...but, who is your insurance co.?i know geico has a plan for people that store there cars (my parents did it when we moved to japan a few years back) but if its going to be in your parents garage...why not juss cancel your insurance plan??..call your insurance and ask them...
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:31 PM

it de[ends...first ? is is the car financed or not??? If not, then full coverage is not needed...If it is financed it will have to be insureda regardless if driven or not.

As for college, take the car bro...it will make college better...you always know after a hard test or stressful day of studying you can take your Evo for a ride and put a smile on your face, or at least i know I can even after 2 yrs of owning her.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

You'll probably want insurance during storage. What if your parent's house caught fire? Home owner's insurance wouldn't cover it. Call your insurance company and ask if you can just put storage coverage on it. When I did this they called it "fire and theft" coverage. It was under $30 a month... not cheap but better than full coverage.

You don't need to have anyone start it on a regular basis if you do the following:

1. Change the oil and filter
2. Fill the gas tank to the top and use Sta-bil fuel stabilizer. Make sure to run it long enough to allow Sta-bil to circulate through the entire fuel system.
3. Remove the battery and get a trickle charger. Normal car batteries are damaged when they just sit too much and discharge.
4. Put it on jack stands so you don't flat spot the tires. I've learned this one the hard way.
5. Store it inside with a quality car cover. Don't use a regular tarp because it will ruin the finish. Leaving it uncovered isn't all that bad if it's kept inside. Just be prepared for a lot of dust to settle on it.
6. Change the oil when you take it out of storage.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

if I were you, I will sell it now. When you return 2 years from now, you will be just in time for the EVO 12.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

i was thinking about taking it with me but 91 octane and 6000 ft elev. scares me and that will rack up the miles
Old Jul 26, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TriCycle STI C
if I were you, I will sell it now. When you return 2 years from now, you will be just in time for the EVO 12.
totally agree! why would u just let the car sit in the garage and depreciate...? i think its illegal for a titled car to have no insurance even tho its not being driven... at least in illinois... but as long as no one finds out then i think its ok..
Old Jul 26, 2005, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Some facts on insurance and storing cars...

There is no "storage" coverage. What they are referring to is your comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive covers things such as vehicle theft, fire, and glass (in most states). Some companies will refer to comprehensive coverage as "other than collision".

You can suspend all your coverage on a vehicle EXCEPT for comprehensive with your insurance company, but some states will require you to surrender your license plate for the time you suspend the coverage. Georgia is one such state, if you suspend your coverage, GA DMV will start mailing you tickets unless you turn in your tag. Also be warned, while your vehicle has its coverage suspended, YOU HAVE NO OTHER COVERAGE. That means if your family or friend takes the car out for you to keep everything in good shape, and has an accident, your claim will be denied, and you will be left holding the bag.

As someone mentioned earlier, if you have the vehicle financed, you cannot suspend your coverage. The lienholder on your vehicle will get a notice from your insurance company if you do, and they will begin to send you hate mail. If you don't put coverage back on the vehicle, they will force place insurance on you and build the cost into your monthly note payment. FORCE PLACED INSURANCE IS UNGODLY EXPENSIVE. You don't want that to happen.

Best advice I can give you guys is to call your insurance agent. They get paid to answer your questions and service your policy, make them earn it.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

I've got my bike on "storage" insurance... Put in on for the winter, just "forgot" to take it off this past summer
Old Jul 26, 2005, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I don't want to get laid!"
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

being in college myself i can tel you you will want a car at school. its great to be able to do whatever you want whenever and not have to rely on anyone else. either bring it with you or sell it. 2 yrs from now youll want something else or something newer at least.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

It's ridiculously expensive to insure an Evo in St. Louis if you're under 25. Second of all, a lot of colleges don't allow underclassmen cars on campus.

I don't know what to tell you about what you should do, however. I suggest calling your insurance agent.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kinetic
Some facts on insurance and storing cars...

There is no "storage" coverage. What they are referring to is your comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive covers things such as vehicle theft, fire, and glass (in most states). Some companies will refer to comprehensive coverage as "other than collision".

You can suspend all your coverage on a vehicle EXCEPT for comprehensive with your insurance company, but some states will require you to surrender your license plate for the time you suspend the coverage. Georgia is one such state, if you suspend your coverage, GA DMV will start mailing you tickets unless you turn in your tag. Also be warned, while your vehicle has its coverage suspended, YOU HAVE NO OTHER COVERAGE. That means if your family or friend takes the car out for you to keep everything in good shape, and has an accident, your claim will be denied, and you will be left holding the bag.

As someone mentioned earlier, if you have the vehicle financed, you cannot suspend your coverage. The lienholder on your vehicle will get a notice from your insurance company if you do, and they will begin to send you hate mail. If you don't put coverage back on the vehicle, they will force place insurance on you and build the cost into your monthly note payment. FORCE PLACED INSURANCE IS UNGODLY EXPENSIVE. You don't want that to happen.

Best advice I can give you guys is to call your insurance agent. They get paid to answer your questions and service your policy, make them earn it.
very well put. i can speak from my experience. i got deployed and i parked my car at my buddys house. i had to call my bank who financed me for the car and they told me that i am aloud to turn down the insurace, but you have to have something on it. (it might be different for me being in the military) just tell them that you have it in a garage. about the licence plate... you will have to turn that in and i know in NC when you turn in your plate they have to have it for 6 months before you get it back. but if you do make sure that there is no law in the town you are storing it in saying you have to have a plate on it because i know on base they will tow your car and call it abandenmnent. i hope that i was able to help you out, but just rememer that it is diffrent from state to state. i would look into it.

Quick Reply: storing my EVO and car insurance and tips