Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Amsoil or Mobil?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil here and works great.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
Save the Marketing pitch.

AMsoil bought base stock from Mobil during the Fifities. Mobil was the first to develop Syntheic based products. Amsoil did introduce there line of Syn oil in 1972. Shortly after then Mobil. But fact is Amsoil truly came after mobil.

I certainly hope this was not directed at me. As I have no affiliation with either company, nor did I ever indicate a preference for either product. The intention of my post was to provide some insight to what goes on in the petroleum additive business.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mobil 1 will protect your engine just fine. Here is a Blackstone Labs analysis of my 2nd oil change, M1 10W-30. As you can see there was plenty of additive left in the oil and it could last longer. I am now running AMSoil and will get that analyzed when the time comes, but I feel better knowing that is running in the engine than M1. If it truly is a G3 base vs. a G4 like AMSoil, then it is worth the extra money. AMSoil protected the best in many wear tests and can last up to 17,000 miles safely in high performance engines. Since this thread lacks any tangible facts I thought I'd present some.

Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FuelsResearch
I certainly hope this was not directed at me. As I have no affiliation with either company, nor did I ever indicate a preference for either product. The intention of my post was to provide some insight to what goes on in the petroleum additive business.
Sorry I thought would have appeared after my intended poster. Corrected it.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

why is everyone keep fighting on this mobil 1 oil. what so bad about it? just use what ever oil you want and put it in your car and get it over with. jees....
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Amsoil Ftw!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 03:02 PM
bus

Originally Posted by oldscholevo
why is everyone keep fighting on this mobil 1 oil. what so bad about it? just use what ever oil you want and put it in your car and get it over with. jees....
Maybe because we actually care about our cars and our $30k+ investment. I don't know about you, but your engine oil is a crucial aspect of maintaining your vehicle's performance. And if you use chevron 10w-30 regular brand and then try AMSOIL/MOBIL 1 purely synthetic. Trust me, you'll see a difference.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:18 PM

What about Royal Purple. Heard nothing but good things about them.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:21 PM

I was told Mobil and nothing else
Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Oil Doc

AMS runs Amsoil
AMS builds a proper car
AMS is a respected and reliable company

all the motivation i needed.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wrong place to get objective comparison data is from a proponent of any given product in the comparison. I know virtually nothing of Amsoil or Royal Purple, but it seems to me the vast majority of proponents of these products quote the manufacturers own marketing information exclusively (which often amounts to conspiracy theories and the like).

I personally put my blind faith in the sticker on my oil cap because (hopefully) the engineers who designed the engine signed off on the stuff, in addition to anecdotal evidence in the form of me beating the hell out of my previous 4G63 (Eclipse) for 130K+ miles on the stock bottom end + all bolt-ons, protected only by a bath of Mobil 1.

The only other oil I would (currently) completely trust in my engine would be Motul (300V racing line of products), because it has been used/tested globally under actual racing conditions for years and years...and just to clarify, by racing I don't mean full acceleration for 1/4 of a mile followed by an engine rebuild...

Last edited by machron1; Jul 19, 2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Serge03
Oil Doc

AMS runs Amsoil
AMS builds a proper car
AMS is a respected and reliable company

all the motivation i needed.
WTF are you talking about

* i thought u were saying they operate amsoil.*

you should say they use it.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey how about "Schaeffer's" another boutique oil that looks to be one of the better ones.
5/50 synth for the road course.

mobil has lost almost all its glamor, and there are oils that really are better, if you know what you need it is available.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:57 PM

What about Vavoline? Or Castrol Syntec??
Old Jul 19, 2007, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Refer to the ICP analyticals provided by Jordan S4,low metal content and sufficent levels of Moly, B, P, indicate minimal degradation of ad pack. Amsoil will produce similar results, as will castrol syntec etc. All the big oil companies research their competitors products extensively with the intention of exceeding the competition. Use the proper weight per OEM classification and environment. I cannot stress enough the importance of OEM knowledge. They have the capital for proper R&D. Why do you think so many are switching back to Diaqueen for gear lube. Trust their research! Stop worrying about engine oil. Mobil 1, Amsoil, R. Purple..... use a quality product and just change at proper intervals. Case closed. Worry more about your T-Case, transaxle and rear end.

Quick Reply: Amsoil or Mobil?