Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Amsoil or Mobil?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I not worried about mobile1 or amsoil, both are great products. It just gets to me when people state hearsay, word of mouth, opinions as facts without any proof. Personally I'll stick with mobile1 I'm sure engineers at Mitsubishi knows more about this stuff than anyone else in this forum.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

When a lube company is chosen by an OEM for factory and sevice fill, it means that they have gone through extensive performance validation (including 3rd party analysis). As well as continual evaluation through the life of the contract. To provide an OEM with an exclusive (with connotations) package is a hghly lucrative opprotunity for a lube company, something they will maintain as long as feasable.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Skim003
I not worried about mobile1 or amsoil, both are great products. It just gets to me when people state hearsay, word of mouth, opinions as facts without any proof. Personally I'll stick with mobile1 I'm sure engineers at Mitsubishi knows more about this stuff than anyone else in this forum.
Yeah, the almighty dollar and big business partnership has nothing to do with it . Like Mitsubishi diden't say "hey Porsche uses Mobil 1, it must be good." It would be hiliraous if somebody used "regular oil" (non synthetic) only to find it has no long term effects on engine longevity. The old DSM's were turbo charged, only the Evo calls for "synthetic" oil. Has anyone really questioned this? Just a thought.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BUCKNAKED
Yeah, the almighty dollar and big business partnership has nothing to do with it . Like Mitsubishi diden't say "hey Porsche uses Mobil 1, it must be good." It would be hiliraous if somebody used "regular oil" (non synthetic) only to find it has no long term effects on engine longevity. The old DSM's were turbo charged, only the Evo calls for "synthetic" oil. Has anyone really questioned this? Just a thought.
Why don't you use regular oil in your evo and see if it has any long term effects. Trust me you don't want to use regular mineral oil in these engines. I don't know why old turbocharged dsm's didn't require synthetic oil but I bet most if not all of them are using synthetic oil now.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
WTF are you talking about

* i thought u were saying they operate amsoil.*

you should say they use it.
they run Amsoil in their engines... great for a street engine that sees daily usage.

Motul is just not something you run in a daily driver.

no matter what, i WANT to run a full synthetic oil that i could dump into the ground if i wanted to. Mobil1 is not a bad oil. there is better out there, and i choose to run it. i may be wrong, but i'm fine with that.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Why don't you use regular oil in your evo and see if it has any long term effects. Trust me you don't want to use regular mineral oil in these engines. I don't know why old turbocharged dsm's didn't require synthetic oil but I bet most if not all of them are using synthetic oil now.
Thats my point. Why would they change to synthetic, which is more costly, if its not "OEM", esp. if most older DSM's have racked up so many miles by now basically proving, in thier case, synthetic oil is NOT required?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:48 PM

Bucknaked, The change is probably due to the desire to get away from petroleum, and the fact that bottom line, a "bad" (extremely refined group III) synthetic is generally still better than a "good" conventional petroleum. Not to mention, the engines have gone through a lot of increases in output and performance, and may now require Synthetics where they wouldn't have before. That's like asking why a new Corvette requires Synthetic, when an old (original 60's) Corvette Z06, or Chevelle didn't despite the fact that they produce similar HP numbers. Advancements in technology are why a motor like the 4G63T can produce nearly 300 crank HP stock, and still be reliable, and Synthetic oils are an advancement in technology over conventional petroleum oils.

Synthetics almost always have a lower freezing, high flash point, and better viscosity retention than their petroleum counterparts. That's why companies use them on their sport cars, a high performance oil for a high performance car.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 04:08 AM
Evolving Member

Bucknakedm, I'm also guessing that when the old turbo DSM's were out petroleum based mineral oil were probably dirt cheap, so requiring a much more expensive synthetic motor oil would probably have been bad for marketing. I have friends with sr20det in 240sx, one of them used castrol GTX on his and other used mobil 1. When they took the valve cover off parts from the engine that had been using catrol GTX had a film of black oil residue covering all the over the head and cams and person who used Mobil 1 still looked brand new. I'm not sure if it actually made a difference in wear but just from appearance it was night and day.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

well until we get this figured out I will use just what is on my OEM oil Cap

Evo says the same, my 03 Z06 said the same and I have gotten great performance out of both....FTW

BTW- if you disagree don't take the time to tell me, because i don't give a ****, forward your emails to eVo engineers, the ones who designed your car on a multi million dollar design and testing budget...

Last edited by skywestseth; Jul 20, 2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Althought I am Pro Mobil....The cap means shyte. Mobil payed to be there. I believe our engines were developed with ENEOS oil.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FuelsResearch
When a lube company is chosen by an OEM for factory and sevice fill, it means that they have gone through extensive performance validation (including 3rd party analysis). As well as continual evaluation through the life of the contract. To provide an OEM with an exclusive (with connotations) package is a hghly lucrative opprotunity for a lube company, something they will maintain as long as feasable.
Hmmmm I'm not so sure about that. Might have something to do with money instead.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Hmmmm I'm not so sure about that. Might have something to do with money instead.
Read my post on the previous page, as well as noticing that I said that "OEM business offers a very lucrative contract for an oil company" in my post that you quoted. The filthy, dirty dollar is always somewhere.

Last edited by FuelsResearch; Jul 20, 2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know why old turbocharged dsm's didn't require synthetic oil but I bet most if not all of them are using synthetic oil now.
+1 for DSMs w/synthetic

I've run nothing but synthetic on my '97 Eclipse GST since I bought it three years ago. I've been using Mobil 1, but I've heard good stuff about AMSoil. Might give it a try...
Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zmann42087
+1 for DSMs w/synthetic

I've run nothing but synthetic on my '97 Eclipse GST since I bought it three years ago. I've been using Mobil 1, but I've heard good stuff about AMSoil. Might give it a try...
Eclipse's have the "option" to use synthetic. Evo's are so called "required" and is "OEM" to use not only synthetics, but Mobile one at that. I ran my 97 Eclipse on regular oil for 89k with no problems, my point or curiosity is why is the Evo, which has an engine thats been around for ever required to use synthetic. I understand the benefits of using synthetic and would never use anything else but why does a manufacturer make it manditory is my question? Is it for longevity? or a lucrative business partnership forcing Evo owners to use not only a synthetic oil but Mobile one on top of it.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

paid

Originally Posted by skywestseth
well until we get this figured out I will use just what is on my OEM oil Cap

Evo says the same, my 03 Z06 said the same and I have gotten great performance out of both....FTW

BTW- if you disagree don't take the time to tell me, because i don't give a ****, forward your emails to eVo engineers, the ones who designed your car on a multi million dollar design and testing budget...
Paid for by Mobil, it's nothing more than an advertisement.

Quick Reply: Amsoil or Mobil?