Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Paint Melting???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Melting???

i washed the evo today and i notice there are many spots on the hood and bumper with some kind of tar substance all over it... i tried using goo gone to remove it and scratch it out... it look like its part of the paint and its on 9 different places...

anyone have this problem and knows how to fix it? would this be covered under warranty.... i guess the hot summer days are having its effect on the paint....
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

i dont have the tar spots on the bumper and hood, i have them all along my doors... its hard as hell to get off and id love to know where it comes from honestly...
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

i know the evo has cheap paints but it can't be so cheap that it melts after couple of hot days...
Old Jul 31, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

any help with this?
Old Jul 31, 2005, 04:14 PM
mbs
Evolving Member

I don't think your paint is melting. Do you have any pictures of some of these spots?
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the same problem. if you put to much tire shine the silicon will come of while driving and splatter all over the fenders nd doors.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

i never used tired shine... i tried scratching off and i see a layer of paint coming off...
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:44 PM

don't be so rough with it trying to get it off you might be doing more damage than its worth. my advice is to clay bar that ****. it should be able to lift that grime off.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

where can i get a clay bar? i never used those...
Old Aug 2, 2005, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Zaino is one place where you can get the bar, they also make excellent wax.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino
Old Aug 2, 2005, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

if youre going to use a claybar be careful. make sure you are using it properly because as good as they are it can also cause damage if not used correctly.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 05:10 PM

Meguairs sells a clay bar that costs less than Zanio and comes with a bottle of detailing spray that is needed while you use the clay bar. Don't get me wrong, Zanio makes excellent products, this is just another option for you.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

but does anyone know if warranty will cover it? on my camry i have all these bug **** and sap all over my hood and i cant get it off no matter what i do..i tried goo gone, stoners sap remover, and other stuff too
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

sorry for reviving such at old *** thread, but I was washing my car today and noticed the same tar looking substance on my front bumper and hood. It looks like the tar or whatever it is, is melted onto the paint and when I try to scratch it off, the sucker won't even come off 8- x.... I've tried the turtle wax bug and tar remover and it did absolutely nothing. I wanna scratch it off somehow but don't want to risk damaging my paint.. I might try goo gone, but not sure if that is good for the paint on the evo or not.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fareastkorean
sorry for reviving such at old *** thread, but I was washing my car today and noticed the same tar looking substance on my front bumper and hood. It looks like the tar or whatever it is, is melted onto the paint and when I try to scratch it off, the sucker won't even come off 8- x.... I've tried the turtle wax bug and tar remover and it did absolutely nothing. I wanna scratch it off somehow but don't want to risk damaging my paint.. I might try goo gone, but not sure if that is good for the paint on the evo or not.

I don't have a problem with a tar substance, but I have rubbed off my paint while I was waxing my car. I also noticed that I have a few runs in the paint. When you wax your car, you see everything. These cars just have a really low quality paint job.