Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Temp in trunk area...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2005, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temp in trunk area...

I am probably going to do a small system in my car but what I've noticed is that it's almost as hot as a freaking oven in my trunk. Have any of you guys with systems ever experience your amps overheating in those conditions? I'll most likely be running a single sub like a space saving JL CS110RG-10WO(semi light weight) with a RF Punch 250 that I already own. I have had 3 different sub boxes from JL Audio within the last 10 years or so and have always been happy with the performance even from their entry level stuff. However I am a little concerned about the amount of heat in the trunk though. Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old Aug 1, 2005, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveLC2
I am probably going to do a small system in my car but what I've noticed is that it's almost as hot as a freaking oven in my trunk. Have any of you guys with systems ever experience your amps overheating in those conditions? I'll most likely be running a single sub like a space saving JL CS110RG-10WO(semi light weight) with a RF Punch 250 that I already own. I have had 3 different sub boxes from JL Audio within the last 10 years or so and have always been happy with the performance even from their entry level stuff. However I am a little concerned about the amount of heat in the trunk though. Thanks in advance.

Dave
I say good choice and go for it! your in the Bay Area its cold compared to TX, AZ, FL

Last edited by David@Vishnu; Aug 1, 2005 at 04:30 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

I have a system in my trunk(amp and sub w/amp) and have no problems at all. Keep in mind I am in Austin, TX. it is hotter than hell here!! My system didn't even blink when it was 104 degree's here. Hope this helps you.
John
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Do you play your system loud continuously? My amps are in my trunk here in Houston (hotter than you!!) and pretty much overheat after 20 minutes of loud thumping music. . . .I know in the SSL package the amp is under the driver's seat, so just put one there, and the sub's amp under the passenger seat. . . .the cabin is obviously going to be cooler than the trunk. . .you'll pay more for wiring (I'm not sure how you'll wire to the trunk since it is sealed off as well), but at least your music won't cut out. . .my $.02
Old Aug 2, 2005, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ssmumich00
Do you play your system loud continuously? My amps are in my trunk here in Houston (hotter than you!!) and pretty much overheat after 20 minutes of loud thumping music. . . .I know in the SSL package the amp is under the driver's seat, so just put one there, and the sub's amp under the passenger seat. . . .the cabin is obviously going to be cooler than the trunk. . .you'll pay more for wiring (I'm not sure how you'll wire to the trunk since it is sealed off as well), but at least your music won't cut out. . .my $.02

No, I don't play my music loud continously(want to be able to hear later in life) but my amps don't cut out at all. Maybe it's your amps?? Not sure where you get that "hotter than you" but that's not quite true, Austin can be just as hot or hotter than Houston. Anyway, if he did decide to do as you recommend and put the amps under his seats first thing I would worry about is heat and then fan noise(if your chosen amps get very hot and/orhave cooling fans). Getting the wiring to the trunk is easy, it is not "sealed off". Remove your back seat and there it is, wide open access to your trunk, running the wires from there is quite easy.

Edit: Ok, I just noticed that you don't even have an Evo!?? Why would you offer this guy this information based on experience when you don't even have the car that he is asking about??

Last edited by AustinEVO; Aug 2, 2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AustinEVO
I have a system in my trunk(amp and sub w/amp) and have no problems at all. Keep in mind I am in Austin, TX. it is hotter than hell here!! My system didn't even blink when it was 104 degree's here. Hope this helps you.
John

Cool thanks for the advice guys. I don't really listen to my system loud all of the time either. It's more or less for my enjoyment rather than letting everyone know that I have stereo other than stock. Maybe I should think about installing the amp under the seat too. I know when I drive home from work ( like 18 miles ) I'll pull my work short from the trunk and it feels like it just came out of the dryer after only 20 minutes. Way hotter than my old Maxima. Thanks again.

Dave
Old Aug 2, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a system + a computer system running in my trunk. I do listen to music pretty loud constantly. I was very very worried about overheating issues. So far its been 5 months since i installed all of this and i haven't had any problems yet.