Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

thinking about trading in the evo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2005, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spec'd
The grass isn't always greener on the otherside.

I wouldn't buy any of the newer Nissan products.

They have recalls and problems like many other cars.

The VQ35 motors used in the latest Nissan vehicles
uses light weight internals, pencil thin connecting rods, weak
light weight pistons, open deck aluminum block.

I just got rid of my Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV with the same
technowledgy inspired QR25DE.

IMO the Evo has better build quality than most Nissans.

I'll stick to my bullet proof 4G63 cast iron closed deck block.
I could not AGREE with you more. As a Nissan owner of a 1992 SE-R, 1998 SE-R and a 1999 SE-L and 2002 Spec V, I could tell that the SE-R was good up to the 1999 model. The Spec V is not up to the level of the others in workmanship and reliability.

It seems that Nissan has lost its way when it comes to quality at the end of the 1999 model year. Nissan is making lots of money, but I liked their quality and workmanship when they were in the red.

The QR25DE is way worse than the stout-closed-deck-iron-block SR20DE. The 4G63 is almost the same as the SR20DE
Old Aug 6, 2005, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
I can not believe that people are complaining about the EVO's ride. I came from a Nissan Sentra SE-L with a modded suspension, the one that you see here http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/...ber04/b14susp/

That was my daily driver. I thought that the EVO is going to be stiffer by reading threads like this one. To my surprise the EVO was less stiff than the SE-L. I love the way the EVO rides. It communicates with you, it is tight and lively. It is a perfect daily driver. I makes me enjoy the drive to and from work.

I think that the argument that most Americans treat their cars as appliances has merit. This is one reason that the MR in Japan and Europe has a stiffer suspension than the MR in the US. SCC reports that the MR shocks have been softened and there is a trace of floatiness in the ride.

The EVO is a performance car and it is the best bang for the buck you can find. Handling comes at a price; a stiff ride. In order to reduce body roll and weight transfer you need stiff springs, shocks, and thick sway bars. I really hope that threads like this one will not lead to the US getting a watered down appliance EVO in the future
Old Oct 28, 2005, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess you decided to keep it
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=166528
good choice
Old Oct 28, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If i had to trade in my Evo i would go with S2000! I wish Evo's were made by Honda!
Old Oct 28, 2005, 07:44 AM
Former Vendor

G35 is a nice car, but if you are insisting on trading it, have you considered the new IS 350? I just sold my is300 and I loved it, but the new ones are more luxurious, and more powerful so I was considering buying one in the next few months here. As far as the ride quality goes, the MR bilstien set up is a much smoother ride.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by electricevo
I think you are selling the evo for the wrong reason. If you sell it, only to buy a more expensive car, with just as much maintenance responsibilties but with less performance, you'll be pretty frustrated. You'll probly eat alot of money by getting rid of it due to the depreciation of driving it off the lot. You should keep it, or consider a car that will truely be cheaper, which some good ones were already mentioned because i think you'll regret buying the g35, i mean, the wow factor on the interior will fade fast, and the gas pedal will leave you wanting more.

This is excellent advice... You will not be happy with the G35 and the maintenace will be just as expensive not to mention gas...
Old Oct 30, 2005, 01:26 AM

The RSX is a very nice car. Build is top notch. The car wil last forever and be cheap to maintain. I had one. It is an excellent daily driver. Great engine too. Great on gas too. I wouldnt waste the money on the g35. Would rather buy a Bimmer if I wanted to spend that kind of money on a DD.

Originally Posted by aboh6leenz
you should keep the evo if you are planning on buying another one. You will save money in the long run. So you should buy a cheaper daily driver. The rsx-s is actually a pretty nice car- nothing compared to the evo though. Its probably the most modable i4 n/a engine. It takes bolt ons very well and their is a pretty big aftermarket for it. Also they get pretty good gas mileage.

An celica gt-s handles better then the rsx and is a very light car. Bad thing is they dont have that big of an aftermarket selection.

New civic si's coming out. They actually look pretty nice and is comparable to the rsx-s but comes with lsd and im not sure what else now- i havent kept up with the news on it.

A wrx you still get the awd but thats about it. You will also save gas mileage if you get a piggy back and run it in enviroment mode or whatever its called. Some claim as getting mid 30's mpg!!!

New eclipse uhhh I wouldnt get it but you said you had to have torque... I would also not consider the rrx-8 kuz its just crappy.

If you could get a used car then their are tons out there.

G35 is nice but sorta expensive. I'd get one over a 350z though thats for sure.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 02:28 AM
Evolving Member

well i got deployed to the middle east and am still currently there lol. Anyways i'm probley going to keep it for a while. Figured i would have some fun with it while i was still young and single.
Originally Posted by burningmoney97
i guess you decided to keep it
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=166528
good choice
Old Oct 30, 2005, 04:13 PM

I looked at the g35 coupe before I picked up the EVO. Maintainence is high on that car too. If you get the 18's the tires are like $300 a pop for the rears. Its a fun car, during the test drive the salesman took me to pull donuts with and without the stability control, pretty impressive. The interior is nice and comfortable. I'd choose the RSX type-S personally, nice soundsystem, honda build quality, tough to beat.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

I have a G, want an Evo. But then again I'm 17 and a kid. So power is what I want.

Great cars.