Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Recall

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is rather surprising MMNA would do a pro-active recall on these cars, rather than wait for them to blow up due to lack of coolant and them blame the mods and driver.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Make : MITSUBISHI Model : LANCER EVOLUTION Year : 2005
Manufacturer : MITSUBISHI MOTORS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V335000 Recall Date : JUL 25, 2005

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM:HOSE

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1179

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE TURBO CHARGER COOLANT HOSE WAS INCORRECTLY MANUFACTURED, AND MAY ALLOW COOLANT LEAKAGE.

Consequence:
IF A LEAK OCCURS, DURING VEHICLE OPERATION WHEN THE MANIFOLD IS HOT, COOLANT MAY IGNITE AND CAUSE A VEHICLE FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE TURBO CHARGER COOLANT HOSE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON AUGUST 15, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT MITSUBISHI AT 888-648-7820.

Notes:
MITSUBISHI RECALL NO. SR-05-004. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
i did mine 2 months ago and my was brand new,no i didnt experince any fire on my car,just smokes.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HMSevo8
It is rather surprising MMNA would do a pro-active recall on these cars, rather than wait for them to blow up due to lack of coolant and them blame the mods and driver.

I think the only reason why made it a recall was because someone could die from it (fire) which is an obvious law sue. If it's not a death situation you can forget about it. It becomes a TSB Us 03 EVO owners have seen few TSB

Last edited by GOKOU; Aug 2, 2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 01:05 PM

Just so you guys know...IT DOES HAPPEN...It happened when I brought the car down the track. The hose basically blew apart on the end and coolant went spraying everywhere. I can't imagine that it would do that under normal hard or easy driving. This was at the very end of the run when I started slowing down. So, just beware and there should be no fires!
Old Aug 2, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
good thing I didn't mod my car Yet ! Will see if dealer calls me up
Old Aug 2, 2005, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Keely
Just so you guys know...IT DOES HAPPEN...It happened when I brought the car down the track. The hose basically blew apart on the end and coolant went spraying everywhere. I can't imagine that it would do that under normal hard or easy driving. This was at the very end of the run when I started slowing down. So, just beware and there should be no fires!
dude you were at a track, that is hard conditions, do you think things wont break. im not saying that you caused it to happen, im just saying any type of racing is hard on any car.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letMeIn
good thing I didn't mod my car Yet ! Will see if dealer calls me up

It's a recall. If you still have the stock coolant hoses they cannot refuse you even with mods.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458
dude you were at a track, that is hard conditions, do you think things wont break. im not saying that you caused it to happen, im just saying any type of racing is hard on any car.

even if he was at the track that kind of crap should not happen with a stock car (assuming he was). He either got a lemon or the part was defective.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458
I am constantly reminded why I stay away from evom.....
Old Aug 2, 2005, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for posting!
Old Aug 2, 2005, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsu DEALERS GONNA BE BUSY! DAMN!!!!!
Old Aug 3, 2005, 05:49 AM

Ummm...she, I am a female...

The car was slightly modded and no it should not blow a hose apart with 560 miles on it and the first run down the track. There is a solid rubber hose on there now and it has held up great. It would have done the same thing if I took a blast down the highway and let off the gas. If I was driving hard with the car here and there, it wouldn't have happened. When you are in it until 100+ then I just want you guys to be aware that it may happen to you too with minimal mods.

Last edited by Keely; Aug 3, 2005 at 05:57 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Keely
Ummm...she, I am a female...

The car was slightly modded and no it should not blow a hose apart with 560 miles on it and the first run down the track. There is a solid rubber hose on there now and it has held up great. It would have done the same thing if I took a blast down the highway and let off the gas. If I was driving hard with the car here and there, it wouldn't have happened. When you are in it until 100+ then I just want you guys to be aware that it may happen to you too.
Sorry. Old habits are hard to break

Glad nothing major happen to your car.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

i just talked to my dealer and they said there was no recall
Old Aug 3, 2005, 08:25 PM
Former Vendor

we hear it hear first..

Quick Reply: Evo Recall