Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How well does your MBC hold boost???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2005, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has any of you tested your stock BOV ? , where you take it off the car build a jig with hose/clamps.... and pumped it up , tested for leak down ? When/if you do some testing on the stock pos you should see that ANYTHING over 13-14 psi it leaks and @ 20 psi its just crazy (I testing it under water to make sure and at 20psi water was flying everywhere)
BTW the MR valve holds-no leaks up to 24-25 psi
Old Aug 3, 2005, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
Explain how the "boost flash" will hold boost if he is using a manual boost controller?
If you've ever talked with Al(dynoflash) you'd understand why i call it the boost flash.. it removes all taper in boost and adjusts the rest of your mods to work with MAP readings and so forth.. I guess i should have stated its called "mail in flash" or "custom flash". I appologize for stating wrong.. lol
Old Aug 3, 2005, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

PS It's now THREE people who have no problems with the stock BOV...
I have a stock BOV and it works just fine.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nyrican
Damn , thanx for the wealth of information, and I once again apologize for not informing my whole story , with the new MBC and fuel pump on the way I ABSOLUTELY intend to get a custom tune to go along with the mods. I guess I have to wait till the parts get here, install them and then drive down to TT to get tuned before I figure out whether or not the BOV is leaking enough for me to replace it. I personally do not like the idea of running an aftermarket BOV because it seems that most people actually have more issues with them than with the stock ones. I do not plan on boosting anymore than 22 PSI so I hope I can keep it, or at the most go with the JDM MR one. Thanx again everybody. OH yeah I did hear that I might lose power with the intake before tuning but AFTER the flash it should be just as good or better than the stock one, right???
Without tuning, your intake's new air flow is confusing the ECU. Some have documented lost power by installing an intake.

AFTER ECU reflash, you will see good power gains, and your car will feel VERY different, esp since you also have the TBE and the MBC and fuel pump. At that point, if you want to solve your 3psi boost taper, you can try it with a JDM BOV, but I personally think that it may still be within normal tolerances considering all the various other factors involved.

Believe me, I WANT to do the stock BOV change but, there are other more fun mod things I can do with my money. In fact, if someone offered me a free JDM BOV I would NOT refuse it... but, of course, everything comes with a price...

Good luck on the reflash...TT will make you VERY happy when the car is finished...

Brent
Old Aug 3, 2005, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

If you've ever talked with Al(dynoflash) you'd understand why i call it the boost flash.. it removes all taper in boost and adjusts the rest of your mods to work with MAP readings and so forth.. I guess i should have stated its called "mail in flash" or "custom flash". I appologize for stating wrong.. lol
Still confused. A manual boost controller works by interrupting the pressure line in between the wastegate and the actuator. Since the vaccuum lines are disconnected from the boost solonoid, how can the ECU adjust the boost? Simple, it cannot. There is no such thing as a boost flash unless you leave all the connections alone and let the ECU do the work.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

I have a stock BOV and it works just fine.

Totally , but it's a little wierd seeing my quote on your sig...

Brent
Old Aug 3, 2005, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RedUSEVO
Brent,
You are amazing.

That's right if you get flashed you will noticed some gains. You will also not a gain if you go back to your stock airbox and a K&N drop-in. I'm done now as some people aren't very mature.
No, RedUSEVO, YOU are amazing!

Did you really expect that by spewing a paragraph on the mechanics of an automotive part that can be googled online, that people would automatically bow down to you as "teacher" (eg, see your own quote "any questions class?") and accept your opinion because we are all just a bunch of students? Unfortunately, the world does not work that way...

Oh, and then you throw slights my way (eg, first, I have anger issues, then, I am a thread-hijacker, and, now, I am immature?) and then storm out with an "I am done with this" just like a "teacher". You certainly are living the part in your head at least. That's pretty funny to me...

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; Aug 3, 2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Still confused. A manual boost controller works by interrupting the pressure line in between the wastegate and the actuator. Since the vaccuum lines are disconnected from the boost solonoid, how can the ECU adjust the boost? Simple, it cannot. There is no such thing as a boost flash unless you leave all the connections alone and let the ECU do the work.
True, if you bypass the stock solenoid then, the ECU reflash that Dynoflash sells cannot eliminate the boost taper. BUT, there is a way to install the MBC where you still utilize the Boost taper control from the ECU Reflash because you don't bypass the solenoid, but you can adjust the amount of boost using the MBC. Of course, I assume, the MBC is limited to whatever is set in the ECU reflash if you go this route so you can only turn DOWN the boost on the MBC and not go higher than the limit set by the ECU reflash...I think that's a similar concept as an EBC since the EBC usually comes with a new stepping motor that is electronically controlled by the EBC unit. I don't have any experience with this new ECU boost reflash so it's all heresay right now, unless others can chime in....

Brent
Old Aug 3, 2005, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4rcd6
Im using the stock BOV and dont have one issue FYI! That bov should handle 25 psi strong if you want it too. Im telling you with a flash is gonna be the difference maker.. do you have a flash RedUSEVO?
I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. The stock BOV is NOT capable of handling 25 psi "strong." You may THINK you have no "issues" and that it doesn't leak, but you're sorely mistaken. Just like one other guy in this thread who has a clue, I tested my BOV, and it started leaking at 13psi. Does it hold fine on stock boost? Sure, but it still leaks more than a REAL bov like the metal Mitsu one. What you don't understand is that the stocker is leaking the entire time you are at WOT, which means the turbo is just having to work harder to reach/maintain the desired boost levels, whether it's dictated by an MBC or a boost flash. Either way, the stock turbo is NOT able to hold full psi at high rpms, so if you have something that MAKES it stay at 21-22psi from 7-7600, then it's only stressing the turbo and making it work harder than it should be.

Also, a flash is not the resolution to whatever boost problem he is having, if any. MBCs are used the world 'round and can hold boost just fine. No "boost flash" is needed to have steady boost. First of all, the TXS MBC has been complained about ad nauseam here on this board. Secondly, the stock turbo NATURALLY tapers above 6500 rpm, because it's not a big turbo...that's just how it is. Lastly, there's no way he should be running around with an Injen intake and those mods without a tune of some sort. Because of this, of course a flash would be great, but he doesn't need a boost flash.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 03:26 AM

If they have an opening for me, I will be heading down to TT next week. Thanx again for all the input.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. The stock BOV is NOT capable of handling 25 psi "strong." You may THINK you have no "issues" and that it doesn't leak, but you're sorely mistaken. Just like one other guy in this thread who has a clue, I tested my BOV, and it started leaking at 13psi. Does it hold fine on stock boost? Sure, but it still leaks more than a REAL bov like the metal Mitsu one. What you don't understand is that the stocker is leaking the entire time you are at WOT, which means the turbo is just having to work harder to reach/maintain the desired boost levels, whether it's dictated by an MBC or a boost flash. Either way, the stock turbo is NOT able to hold full psi at high rpms, so if you have something that MAKES it stay at 21-22psi from 7-7600, then it's only stressing the turbo and making it work harder than it should be.

Just some ppl are blind , but next week the same ppl will posting and asking "why is my car so slow..... , it CANT be the BOV "
BTW Warrtalon have you ever tested thr MR valve , I found it leaked @ 24-25 psi . Kinda disapointed so I tested it truned around backwards WOW it blew my mind how much it could hold backwards ! ! I ONLY would run it like that at the 1/4 track for insane psi with race fuel NOT for everday use !
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Ok i must agree with you to a point... My stock bov does tell me its holding although possibly its not since i havent put it under water and pressure tested it. My gauge never drops below 20 psi and peaks always at 21-22. My turbo may be working harder to keep it steady but by appearance its maintaining its pressure.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by matt55
Just some ppl are blind , but next week the same ppl will posting and asking "why is my car so slow..... , it CANT be the BOV "
BTW Warrtalon have you ever tested thr MR valve , I found it leaked @ 24-25 psi . Kinda disapointed so I tested it truned around backwards WOW it blew my mind how much it could hold backwards ! ! I ONLY would run it like that at the 1/4 track for insane psi with race fuel NOT for everday use !
You wont find me complaining my car is slow. I've not once had any issues with my stock bov although as i just posted.. it could be leaking but my turbo works harder to maintain the pressure. My gauge doesnt reflect any issues since i stay rock steady at 22 to maybe 20.5ish. It did hold 25psi when doing MBC testing although it was higher than i was wanting. Not to mistake the fact that my turbo possibly is under more load.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nyrican
I recently installed a TurboXS single solenoid MBC in my 04, I am able to adjust the boost pretty easilyto about 20.5 psi w/o any extreme spiking but it still tapers almost 3 psi by redline, I double and triple checked all my vacuum lines and IC piping so I'm pretty sure that those are not the problem. The MBC is used and I have heard that they are crappy. I already ordered my Hallman Pro and Walbro fuel pump for peace of mind, but I would like to know if I could or should check anything else for the meantime. If it helps I am teeing off the BOV line for one line and the other is from the wastegate, capped the turbo nipple and stock wastegate actuator ( I think thats what its called ) "the sensor by the air filter". Anyway I capped both of those and left the electrical plug connected. Oh yeah my mods are an Injen intake w/ upper IC piping and 3" UR TBE w/ cat delete and obviously the MBC now. Thanx in advance
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=mbc+install

i have a hallman with no problems. holds boost to whatever i set.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4rcd6
You wont find me complaining my car is slow. I've not once had any issues with my stock bov although as i just posted.. it could be leaking but my turbo works harder to maintain the pressure. My gauge doesnt reflect any issues since i stay rock steady at 22 to maybe 20.5ish. It did hold 25psi when doing MBC testing although it was higher than i was wanting. Not to mistake the fact that my turbo possibly is under more load.
It's just a fact, man, the stocker leaks early. It's not like people normally see the stocker leak drastically with a huge dropoff in boost or anything. It's a subtle thing where it leaks slightly at 13psi, then moreso as you increase boost. The more you try to hold, the harder your turbo has to work to try and maintain that boost setting, which means it is just blowing hot air. For people on stock boost, I don't think it's worth changing. For anyone trying to run 20+ on a daily basis, I think it's a good mod, and for anyone going ***** out at the track, it's required.

Another thing...the stock turbo itself won't hold that 21-22psi to redline regardless of what MBC/BOV you use, because it naturally tapers. It can be forced to hold that psi, but it won't do it on its own, because it's not efficient or effective over 20psi above 7000 rpm. I find that there's no way I can run "rock-steady" 22psi on pump gas in the summer due to the excessive knock. Unless you are in cool weather and/or using alky, then I doubt you're making good power on a daily basis even if you see your boost gauge holding 21-22psi for several thousand RPM.

Quick Reply: How well does your MBC hold boost???