Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Guys is this normal 3

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Good lord, man, how many freakin threads are you going to make on this retarded subject? WHO CARES ABOUT YOUR FRIEND? WHO CARES ABOUT HIS WRX? WHO CARES ABOUT LOUD BOV'S??? It's the dumbest thing in the world to ONLY WANT A BOV THAT MAKES LOUD NOISE, especially when you have _NO_ other mods. Spend your money on something that MAKES YOU FASTER or that is useful without being a VTA fanboi! You are driving a MITSUBISHI EVOLUTION, not a Honda!! I already told you this once....
silly warrtalon, don't you know hella loud = hella tyte?
Old Aug 4, 2005, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bov

i agree, i have an hks SSQBOV recirculated and i cannot hear it when i am not moving and just rev the engine. VTA u should be able to hear it a little bit, but if u recirculate u will not here it when you arent moving, even though im recirculated i still have an EIDS just to be on the safe side because the revs can still drop pretty low
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Evo8dude, a personal question if u dont' mind. You have the HKS BOV with the EIDS. Am i correct u have a 03 model like mine. with the BOV and EIDS your engine light doesn't come on. and also your not experiencing any stalling or idles problems at all . Thanks in advance
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A HKS EIDS is like a duct tape fix for a bumper, it just masks the problem. You would be better to use your money in other things such as exhaust or tuning.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Event-Horizon
A HKS EIDS is like a duct tape fix for a bumper, it just masks the problem. You would be better to use your money in other things such as exhaust or tuning.
It's hopeless. This is obviously all he cares about in the world: a blingy BOV that can make the most noise with the least driveability problems. It's sad, really...
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:54 AM

bov

no my engine light has not come on due to the blow off and EIDS. it is on now but thats because i have a test pipe with no CEL fix. but before i got the EIDS the revs would drop low and stalled maybe once, now when they drop low it picks them right back up. so it was a good investment. and dude dont be such an ***, i DO have an exhaust and im waiting to do everything else i want before a tune. recirculating is the way to go EIDS was momey well spent for me
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:59 AM

bov

and yes lanevokai i have an 03. and its recirculating right back into my hks rs intake. i dont like the ricey VTA and that causes BAD stalling problems
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

i agree completely with the last posts, you dont buy a BOV for the sound!
Dont waste your money on something you dont need and will decrease your power, unless it is totally necessary. I have the ****ty plastic stocker, and it leaks like hell; so i decided to buy the aluminum JDM MR BOV. Not for the sound, but for the construction, ability to hold large boost, and to fix my boost leak.
OVerall, if i were you i would buy this kit on ebay it will solve all your problems:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURBO...QQcmdZViewItem

hehe
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

I'm one of the first to put the HKS SSQV in the USDM Evolution VIII. My write-up made the how-to:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=20612

- It's still installed, no issues what-so-ever. Idling problems and funny surges are the result of the valve not being adjusted properly. HKS will tell you that you do not need to adjust it and that's just a plain lie. Heck you bought the car and most make "adjustments" to make it better/faster right? Mitsubishi will tell you not to adjust the car from stock either... get my point?

- With the typical mod of removing the air box for a cone filter or some other aftermarket intake, you will hear any BOV, yes even the stock one... but differnt brands will sound differently and the SSQV is unique for sure.

- After 2 years driving the car around with it installed I found that some people may be annoyed with the SSQV fluttering noise even when not accel'ing fast. I've found the sound to be an instigator at times... me having to put other cars in their place the first million times is entertaining then it starts to feel like driving to work; you don't feel like doing it but you gotta.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:21 AM

bov

thank you red demon, could not agree with you more, i only bought the super sequential because it can hold lots of boost and it will come in handy when i increase boost with my tune, could care less about the sound, mine is recircualted and i still think its too loud,
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
It's hopeless. This is obviously all he cares about in the world: a blingy BOV that can make the most noise with the least driveability problems. It's sad, really...
For myself, i mostly agree with you about how wasteful and silly "bling bling" is. My car is a sleeper, you would never know it is HIGHLY modified... but, it is his money. If "bling bling" is what makes him happy, then who are you to tell him that he is wrong? Some people only care about appearances. Is his money really wasted if what he is buying makes him happy? That said, when he comes back in here complaining about how poorly his car performs, we can all just laugh at him and say, "I told you so". The entertainment value should be high.

strike
Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

It is no wonder people thinks the Evo is nothing but rice....it's freakin kids like this that gives the image to others that the Evo and the owners are rice.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

heck, with an intake, and an recirc, you hear it just fine, borderline too loud for me.
I agree with this guy.

The more sound you have, the more pressure you are losing. You need a recirculating type to retain power.

Your MAF is set up to detect a certain amount of airflow and the fuel system compensates for that. By using a Blow Off Valve and not a recirculating one, you are venting off air to the atmosphere that's already been metered. The fuel system will then send out more fuel; therefore, losing some power.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Event-Horizon
Why do people need to do this? Why is it becoming every-other post is about a VTA BOV and "how do I get that Fast and Furious sound like my cousin's brother's uncle has?"

Look, this needs to be set straight, a BOV is an important part of a EVO, it helps it to run right, helps idle, helps between shifts, etc. If the ECU does not see this air that has been recalculated when the BOV "blows off" your car will run rich and stumble between shifts and at idle. You WILL lose power. I have seen this on the track once before when an EVO ran a 17.xx. It was an embarrassment for all EVO owners that night, all because the guy wanted the BOV sound.

So, in Summary, a BOV is not for sound, to look cool, to scare small children/elderly people, or get you laid. It has purpose, and without purpose..... well you know.
You said it all brotha!!!! Why would you wanna sound like all those damn Srt-4's anyway...it's a waste of gas and it's gay.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

I once saw an ad for a speaker kit that you attach to your throttle.. When you get off the gas pedal, it's hooked up to a speaker that makes a blowoff sound.. I think they made it for Honda's...

Quick Reply: Guys is this normal 3