Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Replace Front PADS only, what do yo guys think?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr0072003
Well I am in a bit of a money bind, and need new brakes too . So I was talking to my dad ( a mechanic for pac Bell/SBC for over 20 years), and he says that I may not need to oreplaec the rear pads until I replace the front ones the second time.....he says that most cars have a 2 to 1 ratio from Front vs Rear pad replacment........I love my pops, but he is also a Chevey Ford guy, so I dont want to take his word, but It sounds good right now, considering I can only really afford to replace the fronts now.........What do you guys think? BTW, I dont track this car at all.

I think your rear rims will like you more if you get a rear set of pads that dont turn them black. Just pony up the $150 and get a set of project mus for it. You will be happy and not have to clean your rims everyday

Chris
Old Aug 8, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03EvolutionVIII
How can the rear wear faster than the fronts? Newton laws go effect here... If driving all the force will be on the front brakes. Thats why the rotor and pads are larger to include the 4 pistons on the front vs the 2 pistons on the rears.
Newton didn't have electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD). It really depends on how you drive, because how you drive changes your brakeforce distribution. I would be interested to see if any of the Evo RS owners have normal brakewear (2:1 as stated previously).
Old Aug 8, 2005, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every time my brake pads need changing, the inside pads wear faster and at an angle. I know for a fact there is more force going to the inside of the fronts since the channel that eventually wore into my discs was almost twice as deep as the channel visibile from the outside. My point is, don't just look at the pad thickness on the outside where you can see and assume the inside is at the same height; It probably isn't if your car is like mine.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

LOL

that was funny, your right thats the differnce between the Autozone ones, although it still sounds like a cheap alternative until I can actually have some cash to save for hawks or feredos......

Does anyone have opinions or experience with the autozone pads or any of the locals parts version of braks pads for our cars......?

Originally Posted by TalonRcR
I think your rear rims will like you more if you get a rear set of pads that dont turn them black. Just pony up the $150 and get a set of project mus for it. You will be happy and not have to clean your rims everyday

Chris
Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Brake wear

I've just completed 3 track days (Road America x 2 and MAM) and my new 05 Evo MR's brakes are shot. On any of the Evo 8/Evo 8 MR models with ABS/EBD, brake wear should be identical F/R. In practice this is not quite the case. On my car, I measure 3mm remaining on the front pads, and between 5 & 6mm on the rears (using a Snap On PMF147A). I'm sure the EBD helps dramatically, but it can't completely undo the 63-37-weight balance. With a lot of recommendations from fellow Evo owners (and forum contributors), I've got replacement sets of Ferodo DS2500 for both front and rear. I'm planning on getting front and rears replaced sometime in the next week or two. I'll report back with an update on the work and the feel of the new pads. I also report on how the brake dust compares to the stock pads.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 02:51 PM

The bendix pads don't give off as much brake dust as the stock ones did. has anyone else try'd the bendix, cuz i would like to hear what others thought? but they seem to be workin fine for me.

Last edited by JuniorRSX!; Aug 9, 2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

is Bendix the brand from Autozone?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 03:30 PM

advanced auto parts. i dont know why i was thinkin autozone? i just changed it in my reply.

Last edited by JuniorRSX!; Aug 9, 2005 at 03:33 PM.