Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or T/A

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AbusiveWombat
You sure on that list? BR stage4 is capable of hitting high 11's but it also includes a number of other parts: upper I/C piping, I/C, intake, fuel pump, and injectors. The parts you listed line up with a Vishnu stage 1+ or a BR stage 3 (minus IC and upper I/C piping) which both are good for low 12's.

I'm a little doubtful that the mods above will get you into the 11's. BR is the only tuner I know of that has hit 11's on the stock turbo. Maybe things have changed, I don't patrol the Engine forum as much as I used to, but I'm fairly certain you'll need more than the above.

Just for reference:
BR stage 4 is ~$4k + install
Vishnu stage1+ is ~$2400 + install (not certain on this figure)
He said on an 05. There is an 05 on the forums with TBE and AFC running 12.2's. Put cams and high 11's are possible. And don't forget most of these top tuners are running 03's as they were the pilot cars.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

LS1's can get 30 mpg highway.
The only LS1 to get that mpg was the C5 corvette mostly in part because its lighter and has better aerodynamics. The TA and Camaro are heavier and do not have the aerodynamics the Vette has. Also keep in mind, they achieved that number cruising in 6th gear at 65 and not accelerating at all
Old Aug 10, 2005, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Personally I think the EVO is the way to go. I really enjoy high hp muscle cars. Many of my friends have V8's and really talk crap about 4bangers but after rideing in the evo everyone of them have respect for the EVO. One of my friends dad owns a ford dealership here in jackson. so my buddy is always getting the latest mustange (not SVT or other specialty cars) but the GT. after going for a spin my car his exact words were " I wish my dad owned a mitsu dealership" the car stock is so much fun to drive. the LS1 is really only good for one thing and that is straight line speed. The EVO doesn't just excell in one area. the EVO is a car that shines in all aspects of driving
Old Aug 10, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
The only LS1 to get that mpg was the C5 corvette mostly in part because its lighter and has better aerodynamics. The TA and Camaro are heavier and do not have the aerodynamics the Vette has. Also keep in mind, they achieved that number cruising in 6th gear at 65 and not accelerating at all
That's so true. How are you doing? Thanks for the Hallman. I noticed you gave me some feedback. I just gave you one as well. It's a shame you have to sell your WR. I remember last I spoke to you it was on its way. I am going to wait for Buschur's 20G. When it comes to upgraded turbos, you can't go wrong with Buschur. His 20G's have proven themselves time and time again in the old DSM's.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pbsis
I had no idea it was that easy to get the evo on the 11's.
dont think its that easy.
i would hate for you to get an evo and think you can hit 11s with only 2-3k worth of mods
i say you need at least 5k to get to that level.
and if all you are looking for is a fast 1/4 mile car, then an evo is not for you.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

You sure on that list? BR stage4 is capable of hitting high 11's but it also includes a number of other parts: upper I/C piping, I/C, intake, fuel pump, and injectors. The parts you listed line up with a Vishnu stage 1+ or a BR stage 3 (minus IC and upper I/C piping) which both are good for low 12's.

I'm a little doubtful that the mods above will get you into the 11's. BR is the only tuner I know of that has hit 11's on the stock turbo. Maybe things have changed, I don't patrol the Engine forum as much as I used to, but I'm fairly certain you'll need more than the above.

Just for reference:
exactly , i dont agree with warr either.......
Old Aug 10, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

I think with a 2005 11s are attainable with 2-3k in mods.

My car put down with $2500 in mods 346whp and that was without my FMIC and without my Hallman (I had a POS mbc homemade on there that was bleeding boost). My buddy went 12.1 in his EVO . We are door to door when we race. I thikn the 2005 EVOs with TBE, Cams, flash and some race gas can hit 11s with a good driver no problem, or at least 12.0-12.2s, Hence warrtalon!
Old Aug 10, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inariv5573
That's so true. How are you doing? Thanks for the Hallman. I noticed you gave me some feedback. I just gave you one as well. It's a shame you have to sell your WR. I remember last I spoke to you it was on its way. I am going to wait for Buschur's 20G. When it comes to upgraded turbos, you can't go wrong with Buschur. His 20G's have proven themselves time and time again in the old DSM's.
Haha whats up man. Yeah I dont remember when I left you feedback. Yeah my $ situation is getting bad so its the smart thing for me to do to sell the turbo. Its on my cc along with future reflash money and the injectors. Almost $2k off my cc by NOT installing and selling the turbo. Maybe in the future I can get a bigger turbo but now is not that time! I am with you on Buschur! Hes the best - hands down.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

I love Evo's as much as the next guy, but they are no match for LS1s in the straight line. From the factory, LS1s can run high 12s. They are light, have a hug motor, and can hit 11s with bolt ons and get deep into the 11s with nitrous. Also, they are easier to race than Evos. On the twisties, its a whole nother story though. IMO, LS1s were designed for drag racing, with no regard for styling or handling. If your primary goal is to drag race, the LS1 is the winner hands down.

I know I'll get flamed by alot of people on this board who have beaten LS1s, but with comparable amounts of money invested, the LS1 will smoke the Evo.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
dont think its that easy.
i would hate for you to get an evo and think you can hit 11s with only 2-3k worth of mods
i say you need at least 5k to get to that level.
and if all you are looking for is a fast 1/4 mile car, then an evo is not for you.
Just remember this when you say my car runs 11's there is a big difference in reliability vs a LS1 based car and a EVO. For a EVO to run 11's you need one thing really.... a good launch! That means slipping the clutch at 5.5K and up and for every EVO owner that has not broken a transfer case there is someone who has broken a transfer case of front diff. That's the big key. Some people have 25K miles and are fine others have 5K miles and have broken a TC or diff.

Like others have said go on a autox or roadcourse and the EVO is a better platform compared to a Fbod or Camaro. Then again for all the posters that throw up the "Autox or Roadcourse card" how many actually go and compete in those type of events? On the street you will not come close to either cars maximum handling abilities and that is why most people are into power.

Good luck and I would say EVO all day long unless you were talking about a Z06.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
Just remember this when you say my car runs 11's there is a big difference in reliability vs a LS1 based car and a EVO. For a EVO to run 11's you need one thing really.... a good launch! That means slipping the clutch at 5.5K and up and for every EVO owner that has not broken a transfer case there is someone who has broken a transfer case of front diff. That's the big key. Some people have 25K miles and are fine others have 5K miles and have broken a TC or diff.

Like others have said go on a autox or roadcourse and the EVO is a better platform compared to a Fbod or Camaro. Then again for all the posters that throw up the "Autox or Roadcourse card" how many actually go and compete in those type of events? On the street you will not come close to either cars maximum handling abilities and that is why most people are into power.

Good luck and I would say EVO all day long unless you were talking about a Z06.

Good point. I am wary of driving my car hard and it's bone stock, whereas you can beat the hell out of an ls1 all day.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for reference:
Out with the old; in with the new. 05s are capable of 11s with less than 03s (on average), and it mostly comes down to driver. I'm not interersted in any stages, because half that stuff you listed on the Stage IV or whatever is not necessary. The mods I listed are MORE than I have on my car, and I've already hit 12.22 on the stock clutch. The only thing holding me back is that 4th gear in the 6spd tops out at 111. In a 5spd, there is no such limitation, which is how whiteevoviii hit 12.02 with just cams/flash/tbe (stock piping, boost control, fuel pump, injectors, clutch, etc.).

Anyway, catch up on the times by viewing my sig. The 05s really ARE that fast...
Old Aug 10, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Out with the old; in with the new. 05s are capable of 11s with less than 03s (on average), and it mostly comes down to driver. I'm not interersted in any stages, because half that stuff you listed on the Stage IV or whatever is not necessary. The mods I listed are MORE than I have on my car, and I've already hit 12.22 on the stock clutch. The only thing holding me back is that 4th gear in the 6spd tops out at 111. In a 5spd, there is no such limitation, which is how whiteevoviii hit 12.02 with just cams/flash/tbe (stock piping, boost control, fuel pump, injectors, clutch, etc.).

Anyway, catch up on the times by viewing my sig. The 05s really ARE that fast...
word.

Another thing about stages. I like everything in Buschur's stages EXCEPT the FMIC. I say this ironically because I have one but that is ONLY because I ruined my stock one and it was a good chance to upgrade. Otherwise, Turboback, Tune, cams, fuel pump and your set. Also, the FMIC is VERY expensive. Adding $750 to the price of modifications for around 10HP...
Old Aug 10, 2005, 07:26 PM

Let me add my 2 cents.
I have had a Nitrous T/A and a Turbo Saleen.
And now a EVO
New to the import side and have not drove EVOS too much but if I could have my T/A back I would get it.Plus lowered and set up right those cars handle great.Dont let no one fool you on that.

LS-1 motors easy to mod and alot cheaper for parts for it.Plus its N/A running 10s and 11s.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by inariv5573
That's highway cruising. I think he is referring to overall. Thirsty 8 vs. economical 4, pure logic.
2002 T/A EPA: 19/28
EVO RS EPA: 19/26

So much for the "thirsty 8 vs. economical 4".

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
At some point we all stop accelerating.

Quick Reply: Evo or T/A