Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or T/A

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Out with the old; in with the new. 05s are capable of 11s with less than 03s (on average), and it mostly comes down to driver. I'm not interersted in any stages, because half that stuff you listed on the Stage IV or whatever is not necessary. The mods I listed are MORE than I have on my car, and I've already hit 12.22 on the stock clutch. The only thing holding me back is that 4th gear in the 6spd tops out at 111. In a 5spd, there is no such limitation, which is how whiteevoviii hit 12.02 with just cams/flash/tbe (stock piping, boost control, fuel pump, injectors, clutch, etc.).

Anyway, catch up on the times by viewing my sig. The 05s really ARE that fast...
Whatever bro, you suck!

Na, warrtalon is right...a lot of those parts are un necessary...you gotta know how to get all the available power out of the car with those mods, and be able to drive it.

Hell, i have a TBE, 05 hotside(comes free on 05s), cams, boost control, and engine management. I ran 117mph on the stock clutch. only thing i added that wasn't on warrtalon's list was a fuel pump...and thats not needed really, but a big safety precaution, and its only 80 bucks.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out with the old; in with the new. 05s are capable of 11s with less than 03s (on average), and it mostly comes down to driver. I'm not interersted in any stages, because half that stuff you listed on the Stage IV or whatever is not necessary. The mods I listed are MORE than I have on my car, and I've already hit 12.22 on the stock clutch. The only thing holding me back is that 4th gear in the 6spd tops out at 111. In a 5spd, there is no such limitation, which is how whiteevoviii hit 12.02 with just cams/flash/tbe (stock piping, boost control, fuel pump, injectors, clutch, etc.).

Anyway, catch up on the times by viewing my sig. The 05s really ARE that fast...
12.2 is not in the 11's and neither is 12.02. Since it's soooo easy to hit 11's with less than $1500 invested, where are all the '05 that are in the 11's? You pointed out two cars that are close but aren't quite there yet. So if it is as easy as what was stated (TBE, cams, MBC, tune) then where are all the 11 second '05 EVOs?

Just for reference the $1500 consists of:
TBE = $600 (megan)
Cams = $550 (HKS) + install
MBC = $85 (Hallman)
Tune = $200-400 (s-afc or flash)
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AbusiveWombat
2002 T/A EPA: 19/28
EVO RS EPA: 19/26

So much for the "thirsty 8 vs. economical 4".

At some point we all stop accelerating.
a performance TURBO 4 car is not economical. BTW, all of those MPG numbers were gotten in PERFECT conditions in a wind tunnel. Who gives a $hit about mpg when buying a race car anyway? If you care about that...they have hybrid civics
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

12.2 is not in the 11's and neither is 12.02. Since it's soooo easy to hit 11's with less than $1500 invested, where are all the '05 that are in the 11's? You pointed out two cars that are close but aren't quite there yet. $1500 is chump change for most EVO owners. So if it is as easy as what was stated (TBE, cams, MBC, tune) then where are all the 11 second '05 EVOs?

TBE = $600 (megan)
MBC = $85 (Hallman)
I have more than enough power/speed to get well into the 11s. My particular run(only ones) on that setup was on freshly abused stock tires. I had just come from running 200 miles on a 2 mile 9 turn road course. They were toast to say the least.

ET has tons to do with driver....i was pointing it out because anyone with descent tires that can drive could get my setup in 11s.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
I have more than enough power/speed to get well into the 11s. My particular run(only ones) on that setup was on freshly abused stock tires. I had just come from running 200 miles on a 2 mile 9 turn road course. They were toast to say the least.

ET has tons to do with driver....i was pointing it out because anyone with descent tires that can drive could get my setup in 11s.
But you're not in the 11's, are you? Look, I know theoretically your car should be capable of 11's but the fact is you have not run 11's. The guy asked what it would take to get and EVO into the 11's. I don't think you can list a minimum number of parts that gets maybe 1 or 2 EVO's into the 11's and pass that on as fact. There are stock EVO's that have done a 12.9 1/4 mile....does that mean all EVO's can hit 12's stock? No. The same with this case. Those mods do not equal a 11 second car. Those mods + exceptional driver + perfect tires + perfect weather may get an 11 second pass but don't expect 11's every time.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

did he ask about ALL evos? no. Did he ask about doing it EVERY trip down the track? no.

Point is, im not saying what my car is capable of based on someone elses experience on the dyno or at the track. Thats why i said NEED TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE THE CAR.

Cars have run 11s on less power at the same track. Ive seen it, just because you haven't....doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Car is CAPABLE of 11s with those mods. PERIOD
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

um..
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
12.2 is not in the 11's and neither is 12.02. Since it's soooo easy to hit 11's with less than $1500 invested, where are all the '05 that are in the 11's? You pointed out two cars that are close but aren't quite there yet. So if it is as easy as what was stated (TBE, cams, MBC, tune) then where are all the 11 second '05 EVOs?

TBE = $600 (megan)
MBC = $85 (Hallman)
I don't understand the argument here. Neither my car NOR the other car I mentioned have this entire list of mods yet, so what's the deal? Have you even looked at my mod list? I'm still on the stock CAT and stock DOWNPIPE. I'm also on many other stock parts, but I don't feel like listing them all. The mods I listed and that you quoted are good enough to hit 11s in an 05. If you go read what I've written again, I also said it takes good driving.

Did he ask what it would take for any driver to get 11s? No. I just gave him the basic mods that can get him into the 11s. I fully believe that it's possible to hit 11s WITHOUT CAMS, but I at least added those to keep it somewhat believable. I will be adding a 3" dp/tp and shooting for 11s with my own, basic S-AFC tuning and no cams in the middle of August. These will not be perfect weather conditions nor perfect tires nor perfect anything, but I am a decent driver, so hopefully I'll hit my goal. The only thing holding me back, as I've said, is that the 6spd maxes out at 111mph in 4th without a raised rev limit. The 5spds don't have this problem...
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tureno-AE86
um..
you can't talk, you spelled your NAME wrong
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

a performance TURBO 4 car is not economical. BTW, all of those MPG numbers were gotten in PERFECT conditions in a wind tunnel. Who gives a $hit about mpg when buying a race car anyway? If you care about that...they have hybrid civics
I agree with you on the last part but those numbers are definitely achievable without driving like a grandma in a wind tunnel.

One thing that I noticed coming from a C5 to an Evo is the lackluster acceleration at highway speeds. My car accelerates decently but the vette just hauled *** at 80+ mph. It's funny because both cars ran basically the same 1/4 mile times (13.1 vs. 13.2) and traps (109 vs. 107) but I know the vette would have pulled my Evo at speed.

Hopefully cams help it out on the highway, ill just have to wait and see I guess.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, 1/4 mile and top end are 2 dif animals. That vette traped more than the evo at the same ET i bet....because its 300lbs lighter and has less drag. Those 2 things are far more evident in top speed pulls than at the dragstrip.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

I don't understand the argument here. Neither my car NOR the other car I mentioned have this entire list of mods yet, so what's the deal? Have you even looked at my mod list? I'm still on the stock CAT and stock DOWNPIPE. I'm also on many other stock parts, but I don't feel like listing them all. The mods I listed and that you quoted are good enough to hit 11s in an 05. If you go read what I've written again, I also said it takes good driving.

Did he ask what it would take for any driver to get 11s? No. I just gave him the basic mods that can get him into the 11s. I fully believe that it's possible to hit 11s WITHOUT CAMS, but I at least added those to keep it somewhat believable. I will be adding a 3" dp/tp and shooting for 11s with my own, basic S-AFC tuning and no cams in the middle of August. These will not be perfect weather conditions nor perfect tires nor perfect anything, but I am a decent driver, so hopefully I'll hit my goal. The only thing holding me back, as I've said, is that the 6spd maxes out at 111mph in 4th without a raised rev limit. The 5spds don't have this problem...
My arguement is that if it's that easy to get into the 11's (basically $1500 invested) then we would see more 11 second EVO's with those basic mods. I submit that it's not that easy and that it will take more invested than $1500.

Good luck with your quest for 11's.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, 1/4 mile and top end are 2 dif animals. That vette traped more than the evo at the same ET i bet....because its 300lbs lighter and has less drag. Those 2 things are far more evident in top speed pulls than at the dragstrip.
Actually the normal C5 isnt light. At about 3300 lbs. it weighs the same if not more than the Evo. The Evo just seems to run out of breath at higher speeds, a result of the tiny displacement I guess.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

I say grab what car makes you most happy.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mikey52
Actually the normal C5 isnt light. At about 3300 lbs. it weighs the same if not more than the Evo. The Evo just seems to run out of breath at higher speeds, a result of the tiny displacement I guess.
tis true, i mistakenly thought zo6. but the aerodynamics still stands true.

Quick Reply: Evo or T/A