Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or T/A

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOONYOASS
My point was that even though it can be done, not everybody wants to tackle such installs.
I know this discussion is pretty much done, but it's interesting to read this^ because the "counter" point is that not everyone wants to do it, but it can be done. So essentially, you're arguing the same point as Warrtalon.

Those of you who are willing to do your own work, buy only the bare essential parts and drive well: Go For It - it is possible!

Those who aren't comfortable with any of that: You CAN'T run 11's on the cheap!

Side note: you don't have to go to eBay for "cheap used" parts. I'm buying parts from other Evo owners all the time who decide to upgrade or go in other directions. I buy things that I know have worked well on their cars... Why spend $850 on a shiny new intake and blow off valve when for the same money (and a little searching) you can do so much more?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
HEY, i was the fastest EVO there...other than the batleground evo...

I won second place in the AWD class! White EVO with a cutout....

I wil DEF be back in october. I was hoping you guys would make it a 2-day event where we could camp out in the parking lots/grass area....THAT wouuld be sweet.

I will be in ATL doing some tuning on my car in september probably...ill make sure we hook up.
I think I have you on video at the Import Showdown. I will have to check tomorrow. I was the bald guy with the extremely bad sunburn recording from the waterbox and side wall.

We actually made it into a two day event. The first day was a dyno day, later we crashed at the hotel, played cards in one room, and linked the xbox's in two different rooms playing halo 2. It was a blast. There was probably 15 people in one room drinking up a storm. We had a fun little texas hold'em tourny for a small buy in. Next year is going to be off the chain.

I will PM you with the website that tells when the Varsity meets happen.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
i would like to think that there are more folks out there who would change their own exhaust rather than pay a couple hundred to have it done. I can't imagine someone owning an EVO and not WANTING to do the wrenching on it, atleast the elementary stuff.

Ok I will put myself out there. I Have had a couple cars that have had some mods and my next car will be an Evo.

Would I be up for learning how to insatall a mbc, safc, exhaust etc? Absolultely if someone would hold my hand and walk me through it I would pay attention and do my best.So yeah I guess I do WANT to do it, thats just a larger task for me than most.

Would I attempt to install any such parts by myself with just the directions to guide me? hell no, not me I am just not that mechanically inclined . It doesn't come easy to me, it never has.

So yeah I guess for me it will cost extra money to modify and repair when things break, making it a more expensive hobby. But I do love cars and I do enjoy making them perform and look better.

So I guess I will have to do that much more at the things I am GOOD at to enjoy owning a car like the Evo and what goes along with it

ps. Right now though I am reading auto repair for dummies so hopefully I can learn as I go

Last edited by theo epstein; Aug 13, 2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theo epstein
Ok I will put myself out there. I Have had a couple cars that have had some mods and my next car will be an Evo.

Would I be up for learning how to insatall a mbc, safc, exhaust etc? Absolultely if someone would hold my hand and walk me through it I would pay attention and do my best.

Would I attempt to install any such parts by myself with just the directions to guide me? hell no, not me I am just not mechanically inclined at all. It doesn't come easy to me, it never has.

So yeah I guess for me it will cost extra money to modify and repair when things break, making it a more expensive hobby. But I do love cars and I do enjoy making them perform and look better.

So I guess I will have to do that much more at the things I am GOOD at to enjoy owning a car like the Evo and what goes along with it
If just means you won't be hitting 11s on the cheap. No big deal. But if you really value your money, you should try to do some of those installations by using the instructions. That's all I did. The exhaust doesn't even require instructions...it's like basic legos or lincoln logs, seriously. The MBC and S-AFC are tougher, but again, I did both based off the VFAQs. This saves a lot of money while teaching you about your car, which is important in diagnosing potential problems. Like, if your SES is on, and you don't know why the car is idling rough, you might know to go check the MAF plug and make sure it's seated fully (happened to me twice haha). If you didn't know, you'd be on here begging for help hoping someone could figure it out for you or end up paying some local shop to diagnose/inspect/analyze a problem that takes 5s to fix.

I, too, am a mechanical misfit, so if I can do this stuff, you can, too...trust me. Of course, it's better to find someone local who knows how to do this stuff and who can either show you first or at least be there to provide assistance. I've installed MBCs/BOVs/S-AFCs for people here locally, but I ALWAYS make sure they see every step so that they understand and can do it themselves the next time...
Old Aug 13, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
If just means you won't be hitting 11s on the cheap. No big deal. But if you really value your money, you should try to do some of those installations by using the instructions. That's all I did. The exhaust doesn't even require instructions...it's like basic legos or lincoln logs, seriously. The MBC and S-AFC are tougher, but again, I did both based off the VFAQs. This saves a lot of money while teaching you about your car, which is important in diagnosing potential problems. Like, if your SES is on, and you don't know why the car is idling rough, you might know to go check the MAF plug and make sure it's seated fully (happened to me twice haha). If you didn't know, you'd be on here begging for help hoping someone could figure it out for you or end up paying some local shop to diagnose/inspect/analyze a problem that takes 5s to fix.

I, too, am a mechanical misfit, so if I can do this stuff, you can, too...trust me. Of course, it's better to find someone local who knows how to do this stuff and who can either show you first or at least be there to provide assistance. I've installed MBCs/BOVs/S-AFCs for people here locally, but I ALWAYS make sure they see every step so that they understand and can do it themselves the next time...

Right ,I see what you are saying. This time around I am going to take a little more in intitative when it comes to installs but like I said, it is "greek" to me

Hopefully part of it is due to the fact that I just haven't jumped in and attemped it knowing its not one of my strengths.

I seriously though would not try installing an exhaust by myself. I dont care what anyone says. With somebody there for assistance, well then yeah I guess i would.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theo epstein
Right ,I see what you are saying. This time around I am going to take a little more in intitative when it comes to installs but like I said, it is "greek" to me

Hopefully part of it is due to the fact that I just haven't jumped in and attemped it knowing its not one of my strengths.

I seriously though would not try installing an exhaust by myself. I dont care what anyone says. With somebody there for assistance, well then yeah I guess i would.
You will simply be amazed at how easy it is. After doing it (with assistance), you will wonder why anyone in their right mind would pay for installation, other than those who don't have the space/tools to do so. I have a crappy townhouse with a small one-car driveway and no garage, but I managed to do my cat-back using 2 jack stands. It's super-basic and requires no knowledge whatsoever other than how to turn a wrench/ratchet.

The hardest part is getting past the "unknown," which is where you are now. Once you get in there and start learning, you see how easy it is, and it all becomes less stressful.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You will simply be amazed at how easy it is. After doing it (with assistance), you will wonder why anyone in their right mind would pay for installation, other than those who don't have the space/tools to do so. I have a crappy townhouse with a small one-car driveway and no garage, but I managed to do my cat-back using 2 jack stands. It's super-basic and requires no knowledge whatsoever other than how to turn a wrench/ratchet.

The hardest part is getting past the "unknown," which is where you are now. Once you get in there and start learning, you see how easy it is, and it all becomes less stressful.

well thanks then. I am now offifially looking forward to the challenge
Old Aug 13, 2005, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seriously...exhaust is like 8 bolts. NOTHING MORE. it really is an 8-piece lego set.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

And if you get the buschur, it's a simple slip and clamp