Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

downshift or str8 brake?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
both
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grant
Slowing down and stopping is the function of the brakes. One should never use engine braking (the use of downshifting or coasting in a low gear to slow the car). Downshifting is done during braking (heel and toe) on the track in order to prepare the car to accelerate from the exit of the corner as fast as possible - it is never done to slow the car.

Aside from wear on the synchros and gearbox, slowing the car via downshifting puts wear principally on the clutch and engine. It is hard on a motor to use engine braking (especially over 5k revs) - much harder than running a motor to 7k revs under full load.

If anyone doubts this, please read a good racing book like "Going Faster"

Cheers,
Grant
+2,000,437.3
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Indeed. Been here a year now nd I've been wanting to go to check it out. Didn't know they were closing it. Only if I were a millioniare I'd buy the place.

Originally Posted by Grant
The same rules apply to street driving when it's done properly. I noticed that we're almost neighbors - you should come out for a trackday at 2nd Creek before they close it forever
Old Aug 11, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

speaking of 2nd creek is anyone going to it on friday for mike regiers drive? its 60 buck and that includes a track day. it starts at 5
Old Aug 11, 2005, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

down shift after I just washed my car to keep the break dust off as long as possible but other than that I prefer to just use the breaks. The front rotors are 12.7inches in diameter they are made for stopping. So, you might as well use them
Old Aug 11, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

I've always downshifted in all of the stick-shift cars I've owned, and I've never had any clutch issues whatsoever. While you may not use "engine braking" (IMO an ill defined term at best) at the track, you DO try to keep the car in gear as you are slowing down, which does help in slowing down and can make a sizeable difference in your brake points (depending on the strength of your brakes). When I'm driving on the street, I always try to downshift to keep the car between 2000 and 3000rpm, so that if I need to speed up again, I don't need to hunt for the right gear.

l8r)
Old Aug 11, 2005, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VTECH8TR
Well which do you think is cheaper to replace, your synchros in your tranny or brake pads .
unless you're doing something stupid like downshifting to 2nd gear @ 60MPH, gear breaking is great

2 years of regular gear breaking and i still have strong brakes & syncros
Old Aug 11, 2005, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

downshift always...
Old Aug 11, 2005, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I always downshift. I actually make it a point to slow all the way down without having to brake if I can...
You and me are alike man!
Old Aug 11, 2005, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

No downshift for a stop. I would rather wear my pads than my clutch.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

I always go back gears when I slow down but I also use the brakes, probably 50/50 like other people have said. I don't usually change down intending to use engine braking, mostly so I am in the right gear if I need to accelerate. It also helps to keep the car under more control. I rev match on every down change.

I have had no trouble with my gearbox or clutch by doing this and my car has been to race tracks frequently over the last 2 years, the clutch was also at least half worn when I got the car. My father also drives like this and he has had some of his cars for more than 200,000km without any gearbox trouble and he doesn't go through clutches very often.

At least half of the braking I do on the road is not to stop completely but to slow down or to maybe stop (like corners and roundabouts and stuff) so by down changing I am in the right gear if I have to go again.

Even if you don't change gears the car should still be left in gear (not coasting in neutral or with clutch pedal down) because that helps with control too, every driver trainer I have been with from the leaner driving school to the performance driver trainers have said this.

Aston

Last edited by astondg; Aug 11, 2005 at 05:29 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

i usually rev match when downshifting then use both. so im not actually engine bracking with the clutch so much and if for whatever reason i have to get on the gas again im already in the gear and typically rpm that i desire.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by PHiSH
OT but it's too bad someone doesn't cough up enough money to save Second Creek. I've had a long of fun out there.
I agree, but at least there was a bit of good news in the paper today:

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_2931576
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:13 PM

I'm very random with this. Most of the time I use the brake, sometimes I put it in neutral as I start to break and other times I keep it in the gear I was in and let it rev down. Although I usually down shift if I think I'm not coming to a complete stop. Like if a light is going to turn green again before I get there I'll downshift until it hits green.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

I have been downshifting/engine braking for 25 years. I have had brake pads last 60 thousand miles and have never worn out a clutch. I do not let the RPMs go over 3-3.5k when downshifting though.

strike

Quick Reply: downshift or str8 brake?