Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Check insurance first!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sandm
progressive online rocks

and yes, boise is a cheap place for car insurance, but switching to progressive about 5 years ago dropped my insurance $475 a year from farm bureau....

I don't understand how, but my insurance dropped $25 a year from my 98 eclipse gs-t to my 03 evo when I bought it in feb04, and our insurance stayed the exact same a month ago changing from an 01 nissan sentra to an 03 murano. about 20k difference in retails and 2 year newer car...go figure......
There are cheaper places than Progressive if you have a squeaky clean record. I'd try Allstate or State Farm if I were you. Progressive in most states is meant for people with things on their record that prevent them from going with one of the big boys. A lot of people don't realize this because of the insane amount of advertising they do, but Progressive is a tiny company compared to Allstate or State Farm.

Your rates dropped because of car safety features. Definitely in the case of the Sentra vs. Murano. You get in a high speed accident in a Sentra, you can pretty much kiss your *** goodbye. You have a much higher chance of survival in a Murano.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yah, premiums here are more expensive than most places.

i have progressive as well....i have a few tickets though, but married discount and multi-car discount. turning 25 in march, mine should go down some more then!
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
i think you mean 800 every six months.
Nope! Every Year. My Insurance for two cars is around $580, a 2004 Subaru WRX and a 2002 Chevy Malibu. My WRX is about $360 for 6 months and when I asked about the EVo they quoted me around $403/6 months for the EVo.

I guess being older(33) , married and no violations help.

- JOhn
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

hmm, no kidding.

FL insurance isn't cheap either.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sandm
progressive online rocks

and yes, boise is a cheap place for car insurance, but switching to progressive about 5 years ago dropped my insurance $475 a year from farm bureau....

I don't understand how, but my insurance dropped $25 a year from my 98 eclipse gs-t to my 03 evo when I bought it in feb04, and our insurance stayed the exact same a month ago changing from an 01 nissan sentra to an 03 murano. about 20k difference in retails and 2 year newer car...go figure......
Who knows? Their rules, we just need to pay them. I guess??
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Your insurance depends on your location, your points and your age I believe
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kinetic
There are cheaper places than Progressive if you have a squeaky clean record. I'd try Allstate or State Farm if I were you. Progressive in most states is meant for people with things on their record that prevent them from going with one of the big boys. A lot of people don't realize this because of the insane amount of advertising they do, but Progressive is a tiny company compared to Allstate or State Farm.

tried both when we switched.... they were both more expensive....by about $200.
also tried farmers and oregon mutual. thinking that part is due to being online and not paying an agents fees.
have had 2 other agents try to beat progressive in the last 5 years and none could touch them..
btw, when we switched, we had 0 claims and 0 tickets and a great credit score.

funny thing is that if you had same cars and same record, state farm might be cheaper in your area or the time you needed the quote...

sometimes seems insurance can be so subjective......
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by initialDRacer
Your insurance depends on your location, your points and your age I believe
don't forget about credit score....
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

holy cow people, those are outragous quotes. I am alittle older but, i only pay $850 a year thru state farm. it actually went down from owning a wrx!
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

If you live in mass you do not have the option of using a Geico, allstate etc. Im not sure of the exact reason.

Anyways I was ran off the road which caused a major accident that was 4 points that I am appealing. In 03 My friend had a clk55 which was registered in my name but was his car that had some lorinsers with like a 1"drop. So this ***** cop gives him a ticket for a modified ride height that somehow I missed the appeal so that cost 2 points. Funny thing is the same cop gave me a the same ticket for my gs400a few years back which again was complete horse****. The car had Blitz rims with a tasteful drop. No where near illegal ride height. That one I won on appeal. Other than that I have had a couple speeding tickets in the last couple years as well.

Most of my problem stems from when I was much younger. Im 29 now and tend to drive much more conservative.

In mass before if you went 3 years without a moving violation your step defaulted to a 15. Not the case anymore. Its 1 point every year deducted without a moving violation.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

I know how some people feel with the insurance.. I was getting quotes when I was car shopping (17 years old then, 19 now--almost 20). I went to my provider, and progressive, and a few others my area. They all quoted me around the same price of $5200 to $5800 yearly for an evo. When I was deciding to make my car buying purchase for college 2 years ago, that was when the evo first came out. I had to settle for the regular lancer instead. (there was no ralliart then--and now my brother has a ralliart.. hes 17 lol ) But the insurance for my regular lancer is still pretty high, I believe 1800 a year. Thats the lowest anyone could get it. (depends on where you live too) Detroit area just happens to be one of the highest places for car insurance in the nation. Your best bet Theo, would maybe get a Ralliart? You could then turbo the thing and be almost as fast a stock evo. (well, not from a launch or in the quarter, but from a roll.) Check out RRM (www.roadracemotorsports.com). They sell turbo kits and all kinds of good stuff for the regular lancer and ralliart. They are great cars. I <3 mine.

edit: I was quoted with 0 points and no tickets.

Last edited by wiretap; Aug 12, 2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

how old are you and how many points on your record? I see that you live in Boston. Not sure if Boston is considered a bad area for owning cars and that's why your insurance is so high but jeez...6500 is fking retarded.