Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Warped Rotors...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warped Rotors...

I have 20,000 miles on my 03 evo and the rotors are obviously warped. The wheel shakes enough to rattle your teeth if you brake past 60 mph. The stock pads are still on the car and biting well. Has any one else had problems with the stock rotors warping and if so is Mitsubishi covering this under warranty?? Is it worth resurfacing the stockers if Mitsu doesn't cover this or should I buy new rotors?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by s2krn
I have 20,000 miles on my 03 evo and the rotors are obviously warped. The wheel shakes enough to rattle your teeth if you brake past 60 mph. The stock pads are still on the car and biting well. Has any one else had problems with the stock rotors warping and if so is Mitsubishi covering this under warranty?? Is it worth resurfacing the stockers if Mitsu doesn't cover this or should I buy new rotors?
The search button is your friend!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=144826

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=91003

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73843

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37088
Old Aug 12, 2005, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Lots of info about this at the above thread. Mine warped at 15 K. Mitsu turned once under warranty and it lasted about a week and they were warped again. Don't drive the car hard either. I'm just going with some slotted rotors because I don't think turning them again is going to fix anything.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

check out the project mu's 2 piece rotors!
Old Aug 12, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

This may sound stupid but sometimes there is a build up of caked on brake dust on the inside of the rim. This causes the same effect as warped rotors. Try coating the inside of the rim with a really good wheel cleaner and then use a power sprayer at your local car wash to power away the build up. It worked for me!
Old Aug 12, 2005, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

mine where warped. I just had them turned and they are ok. mine wern't real bad
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

I had new pads put on (under warranty) at 4,000 miles because of steering wheel shake. It came right back, but worse. I took it in and Mitsu ordered new pads AND rotors (warranty). They'll be installed this Friday. I hope it works this time. Other than this, the car is wonderful.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Redcloud
This may sound stupid but sometimes there is a build up of caked on brake dust on the inside of the rim. This causes the same effect as warped rotors. Try coating the inside of the rim with a really good wheel cleaner and then use a power sprayer at your local car wash to power away the build up. It worked for me!
Yes, I initially thought mines were warped, but it turned out that it wasn't. Lucky me.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by mathgeek
I had new pads put on (under warranty) at 4,000 miles because of steering wheel shake. It came right back, but worse. I took it in and Mitsu ordered new pads AND rotors (warranty). They'll be installed this Friday. I hope it works this time. Other than this, the car is wonderful.
ask them if they have an on car brake lathe. rotor runout to determine if they need to be cut. usually anything more than .003" needs to be cut. believe it or not, ive seen pads eat up rotors making ridiculously deep grooved rotors.

Last edited by houdni; Aug 13, 2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Do not get the rotors turned you will ruin them....the problem is not warpage but the problem is due to pad material transfer....This problem seems to occur on customers cars that are too careful with brakes...
After several miles of spirited driving and true heating, the rotors will be fine..
It is my recommendation that you change the stock pads to Ferodo DS2500's ASAP
My 2c

Last edited by Dyno4mance; Aug 13, 2005 at 06:52 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
Do not get the rotors turned you will ruin them....the problem is not warpage but the problem is due to pad material transfer....This problem seems to occur on customers cars that are too careful with brakes...
After several miles of spirited driving and true heating, the rotors will be fine..
It is my recommendation that you change the stock pads to Ferodo DS2500's ASAP
My 2c

I agree! I had the "shaking Wheel" issue, off and on, until I switched to the Ferodo pads! It has never come back even after some really hard driving and braking!