Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Slip ring on steering wheel and bad mechanics

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slip ring on steering wheel and bad mechanics

Ok, here is the link to my post in the AEM sub forum: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=153132

Now the mechanic that did the clutch says that he thinks my slip ring in the steering column is defective. He does not seem willing to fix it. So I am thinking of taking the car back to the dealer an have them replace/look at the slip ring. This does sound like it is the problem. But has anyone heard of these things going bad? Also, does anyone know how many hours are involved in replacing one/cost?

So should I tell this guy there is no way my car coincidentally came up with a bad slip ring while he was working on the steering column or just cut and run and never let this shop touch my car again? (Mr. Clutch in Albuquerque, NM).
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
correct me if i am wrong, but the slip ring you are talking about is at the end of the steering column. if it is, then it is really not needed.

open up your engine bay, and take a look at some hoses. at the ends of each hose, you will see clamps holding them onto the nipple. well those clamps is the same clamp on the end steering column. they probably screwed it up from taking off the steering column a couple of times. its there fault and you should insist that they replace it. but the thing is, inorder to replace it, you have to slid the steering column off, slip the ring on, and insert it back.

the ring is really not needed at all. imagine those same hose clamps trying to clamp down on metal. pretty ineffect and useless clamp id say.

the dealer is gonna charge you a good $150-200 to replace it, so don't waste your time.

but ya, that shop was the one who F***ed it up FOR SURE!