Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

5 and 6 speed shifters

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that Daytona Mitsubishi will do a 6 speed swap for $4995 plus core. Looks interesting but that's still a lot to drop on a swap like that.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, considering the 5 speed is just as good as the 6 speed. Why is the extra gear necessary? For $5K you could build up the 5 speed tranny and still afford a really nice clutch.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rlazer5000
Yeah, considering the 5 speed is just as good as the 6 speed. Why is the extra gear necessary?
What does this mean? Just as good at doing what? Look at your tachometer next time you're going 70 in 5th on the highway...that's one use of the extra gear, but that second overdrive also allows the earlier gears to be closer together, which means you're more often in the sweet spot. The teflon-coated shifter cables make shifting a dream and no grinds in any gear with speed- and power-shifting is nice, too.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

The gearing is not that different between top gear on the 5 and 6 speed trannies. It's about a 150 rpm difference at 70 mph. This is because the final drive is slightly shorter on the MR. The extra gear is like having an extra gear between 4 and 5. On the Evo IX, there will be a significant difference as the 5 speed is getting shorter gearing compared to the 6.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
What does this mean? Just as good at doing what? Look at your tachometer next time you're going 70 in 5th on the highway...that's one use of the extra gear, but that second overdrive also allows the earlier gears to be closer together, which means you're more often in the sweet spot. The teflon-coated shifter cables make shifting a dream and no grinds in any gear with speed- and power-shifting is nice, too.
It means that the 5 speed tranny is just as able as the 6 speed. It can hold just as much power, shift pretty smooth (I've never had a problem), etc. I'm not saying the 6 speed is bad, I'm only saying a 6 speed swap would be unnecessary. I could honestly care less about being a couple hundred RPMs lower. How does whatever you just mention justifty spending $5K?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ADizzle
The guy that has it put a 6 speed in it, it is not an MR. Just a regular 2003 evo with a 6 speed swaped into it.
having any problems with the installed 6 speed ?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rlazer5000
It means that the 5 speed tranny is just as able as the 6 speed. It can hold just as much power, shift pretty smooth (I've never had a problem), etc. I'm not saying the 6 speed is bad, I'm only saying a 6 speed swap would be unnecessary. I could honestly care less about being a couple hundred RPMs lower. How does whatever you just mention justifty spending $5K?
I never said anything about spending 5k. I was the first one to say that it was NOT WORTH IT, but you said the 5spd is as good as the 6spd, but that is definitely not the case. You may have no grinding issues, but many MANY 5spd owners do, which is why they have a TSB that fixes it for free. In no way is it worth upgrading from the 5spd to the 6spd and paying outright, though...

Last edited by Warrtalon; Aug 16, 2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I never said anything about spending 5k. I was the first one to say that it was NOT WORTH IT, but you said the 5spd is as good as the 6spd, but that is definitely not the case. You may have no grinding issues, but many MANY 5spd owners do, which is why they have a TSB that fixes it for free. In no way is it worth upgrading from the 5spd to the 6spd and paying outright, though...
Gotchya, glad we're in agreement about the swap. I'm sure the 6 speed is nice, and I would love to have one, and especially the ACD.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Bear in mind that the Vishnu One Lap of America MR has a 5 speed swap based on Mitsu's recommendations for durability. So for everyday the 6 speed is probably better but for competition it appears that the 5 speed remains the way to go.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nsnguyen
Bear in mind that the Vishnu One Lap of America MR has a 5 speed swap based on Mitsu's recommendations for durability. So for everyday the 6 speed is probably better but for competition it appears that the 5 speed remains the way to go.
(stock)the 6speed has better times than the 5 speed.(bmi test)
but that might change when the new 5 speed for the 9 is released and has the closer gear ratios
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
having any problems with the installed 6 speed ?
I dont quite have the car yet but I will update you all with all the information on it when it lands.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

does the teflon cable make it that much better? if so maybe i can swap that into it
Old Aug 16, 2005, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 7for8
does the teflon cable make it that much better? if so maybe i can swap that into it
It appears to. The shifting in my MR is ridiculously easy, whether in slow, daily driving or while shifting as hard as possible while dragging or autocrossing.

A fellow 03 Evo owner/racer tested out my gearbox and was astonished...
Old Aug 16, 2005, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, thing is i noticed that 5spd is notchy as **** compared to the butter feel of 6spd. This was both on cold start morning conditions on the same day and 5min apart. I was going to get a ss and bushings to maybe eliminate it. I might replace the cables since its just right there and might as well if i do the ss install.