Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any regrets after buying your evo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no regrets, it's been a week. . . .suspension is stiff, the small rattles from the stiff suspension can be annoying on crappy roads, but that's part of the package. . . I'm not regretting it one bit, especially if I had open highways to commute on, I'd be tearing it up . . . .(my commute right now is 10 minutes, maybe 4 miles, so I barely get to warm up and cool the car off). . . .
I like the SSL package though, I couldn't deal with the stock spartan interior, and in that vane, the SSL=Acura TSX for interior refinement IMO.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:58 PM

Ok I was driving about 80 miles a day to work in the ol evo and man I was putting miles on my car like no other. Mobil 1 every 3-5k and I had to get some tires with better tread wear rating. The only thing that stunk about the drive was the lack of cruise control, other than that It was fine. Seats are comfy (was driving my prelude the same trip for a while and got back pains), road noise is good for a sports car (until I got my droning turbo back ). This was my dream car and I love it, its fast AWD (good in rain) and beautiful. Guess your going to have to make up your own mind on it. Just FYI I was getting aprox 19-21mpg at the start and after an intake and TBE i was getting 24mpg consistantly. Thats crusing on the highway at about 85-90.

update: Last week i moved to into an apartment thats 3 miles from work (so I no longer drive 80x miles a day)

Last edited by Osiris1012; Aug 16, 2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

so far no complaints except that i am getting broke with having so many aftermarket parts available for it which is somehow, irresistable!
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jedi_Gill
80 miles a day is alot of miles.. I'll give you my spin on it, 1. You have to really think about what you want a car for, if you want performance and fun while driving then get the Evo hands down, If you want to relax and just enjoy the scenery buy the Acura. when I drive long road trips I love ripping through traffic weaving in and out, it's kinda like a video game with a valentine 1 radar detector as my continue button. I don't think I enjoy the scenery as much because I'm flying through it, not to mention an Evo will make more noise overall than the Acura your describing. If you want to simply enjoy music in your car and have the comforts of enjoying the scenery then get the acura. It won't get you as excited but you'll still look pretty good driving through town with maturity status. If your're interested you could always go for a better interior like the SSL package with those nice leather seats and sound system. It's up to you, and your wallet honestly. An Evo might seem like it's more maintenace but it's really because the people that buy them drive them hard. I'm sure If I drove it like a sissy and didn't boost too much I would have great mileage, my tires and brakes would last if anything longer since they are superior brakes with a larger braking pad surface.

Bottom line, how do you want to drive. Do you want to enjoy passing people up with ease and get excited with the acceleration or do you want to be more mature and drive in comfort peace and harmony.

P.S. one important thing to consider, Evo's don't have cruise control.

my .04 cents
I have never used cruise control once in my life so no biggy there. As far as driving habits I drive my cars hard and I guess that is what worries me about crap breaking on this car. And the other thing is I am starting to get older 27 now so 3 years down the line will I still want to be driving the evo daily?

As far as 0% financing not really worried about that. Just buying the car outright.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

". . . . . starting to get older 27 now"

You funny man. You standup comic, maybe?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Second thought I would never afford to drive my EVO 80 miles a day. I do not think you will regret a TL or TSX. Very nice cars. TL with 6-speed is pricy, the EVO can be had for the same price as a TSX. Since I already have a EVO I would get the TSX. But only because I had a EVO first and the logical part of me is starting to kick in brcause gas prices are going up and knowing Honda quality you get the picture.(sorry for the run-on)
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh god no. I love the thing.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Darn you are a old ba stard! better start ordering a tombstone

Originally Posted by Stangar
". . . . . starting to get older 27 now"

You funny man. You standup comic, maybe?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:08 PM
CGs
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by underpressure02
I could get an auto beater but then I could not get an evo. Not to sound like and *** but I was going to use the evo or acura (whatever I decide to get) as my daily driver/beater car. I have a few nice expensive cars and also a car I drag race at all the import events. This is actually the closest I have ever commuted to work my past few jobs were over 200 miles a day round trip.

I guess my main concern is all the posts I read about people having issues with their evos. I have heard some bad stories about mitsubishi's warrenty and not really standing behind it.
In that case, and if it was me, and I already had a race car and some other nice cars -- I would go for reliability first, comfort second and performance third when picking a daily driver.

Not sure how the Acura would compair to the evo then, but the 80 mile trip would probably be more comfortable in the Acura. That's just me though, good luck!

Last edited by CGs; Aug 16, 2005 at 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:09 PM

Forgot to add if I get the evo I will be getting it with ssl.

Also are people getting better gas miliage when they get a reflash or an aftermarket EMS? I am putting down 300+ in my turbo civic with 75# injectors and get 28mpg beating on it.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

what jedi gill said. the acura tl is definitely luxurious and very refined, with the navigation, xm radio and power everything its a complete package. comfort is not of great concern to me right now and although it is a pimpin ride, it does not satisfy my crave for more power. try looking at the tl a-spec. that thing is a factory beauty. 80 miles is a lot of miles everyday, i would pick the tl.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I've had mine 2.5 years and drive 50 miles round trip to work (41,000 so far), also acts as toddler carrier. My only regret is if i wanted to get something new, there's nothing on the market to touch it apart from possibly the STI.

I traded in an Acura CL Type S for the Evo and am so glad that i did, no problems with either car though.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

I feel your pain, I cross shopped both of those cars. I came close to buying the TSX and to this day wonder if I would have loved the car or got bored with it. I just was in a position to buy the EVO knowing it would be a weekend car. If I had to drive a car every day the TSX gets my vote. Plus you can give Comptek a call and they can fix it up.

If money is no factor the TL A-spec 6-speed is the Ticket. Team Honda Reasearch took 3rd place in the Thunderhill enduro! the car is bullet proof.

Last edited by zmeli; Aug 16, 2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Nope. Any regrets I might have about anything are instantly blown away as soon as I get behind the wheel again.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

no regrest here i love my evo

Quick Reply: Any regrets after buying your evo?