Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

speeding ticket........what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speeding ticket........what should i do?

got an out of state speeding ticket today going 84 in a 65 zone on 78 in new jersey. im from pennsylvania. i have a totally clean record, never had any points or anything, 23 years old. wasnt even in my evo. i know the points wont transfer back to PA but should i fight this thing or just pay it? if i fight it can i get it reduced and if that doesnt work will the penalty be more severe? the cop had me on laser (or so the ticket says). no court appearance required or anything like that. i guess you could say i was passing someone in the left lane, but i had to be going at least 75-80. should i get a lawyer? can i fight this thing myself? or should i just pay it? if i just pay it, how much do you think it will be? thanks for the help.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

If its going to cost you more to fight it than to pay it, just pay. Only worry about fighting it if your insurance doubles.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:22 PM

what if i fight it myself with no lawyer? is it possible the judge will make it even more severe than originally?
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:25 PM

First, Slow Down.

Second, if you were polite to the officer, he may not even show up to court. If you weren't, it is much more likely he'll show up to make sure you pay. If he does show up, you're most likely stuck with it.

On the other hand, if you plan on NEVER driving through that state ever again, ever, you could not pay it. I say never, since an unpaid ticket will become an arrest warrant after a specified amount of time.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Does New Jersey offer traffic school? A lot of states will let you do traffic school over the internet. Fighting a laser ticket is harder than fighting a radar ticket, probably near imposible.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

seriosuly if you got the dough just pay it, i just paid my out of state ticket from mass. and it didnt transfer.

most courts in nj will reduce it if you show up to court, so if you wanna spend the gas money and time then go to court

btw what municipality was it?
Evolved Member

What should you do? You were speeding - so you pay it.
Evolving Member

All I can say is good luck man. You have to way in if the price of a lawyer is worth it or not. They are not cheap unless he/she is a friend. As for the ticket, I'm guessing about 150. You can always go to court and hope that he doesn't show. You can try to fight it on your own (the internet is you best friend), the worst is, if you lose, you'll only pay what's charged on the ticket meaning they won't charge you more than what you're charge already. Some states require lasers be calibrated on a regular basis if it's used in traffic enforcement-research...research...research. If the ticket is out of state, maybe it won't affect you insurance rate but then again that varies from insurance to insurance also.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evil_1
All I can say is good luck man. You have to way in if the price of a lawyer is worth it or not. They are not cheap unless he/she is a friend. As for the ticket, I'm guessing about 150. You can always go to court and hope that he doesn't show? You can try to fight it on your own (the internet is you best friend), the worst is, if you lose, you'll only pay what's charged on the ticket meaning they won't charge you more than what you're charge already. Some states require lasers be calibrated on a regular basis if it's used in traffic enforcement-research...research...research. If the ticket is out of state, maybe it won't affect you insurance rate but then again that varies from insurance to insurance also.
+ 35$ court fee
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Well if you dont pay the ticket a warrarnt for you arrest will be issued in that state. But if you are positive that your not going to be in NJ for the next three years it will be cleared from their computers. I had a speeding ticket in maine never paid it , its been 4 years havent heard 1 thing.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a similar speeding ticket driving through New Mexico, I just paid it.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Fight The Ticket

OK

Everything these guys told you to do Don't!!!! (with the exception of a few)

The first rule of thumb is to always appear in front of some sort of judge.
Regardless if its just a hearing or actual court date.
That way you a beg for forgiveness. You can remind the judge of your flawless driving record before the ticket and ask him to give you a samll probationary period to have the ticket fall of your record if you don't receive any more tickets.
Or you could convince the Judge that you need traffic school to insure that tickets are a problem of the past and he/she should drop the ticket on completion of traffic school.

The #1 thing is trying to get the ticket of your record. Or pay an extra 100 a month for your insurance for the next 3 years.

You might even get lucky and the cop may never show.

Don't just pay the ticket because it's the easiest thing to do.

Fight!! Fight!! Fight!!!

or at lease beg for mercy

Last edited by EVO_JOE; Aug 19, 2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by travelsize420
seriosuly if you got the dough just pay it, i just paid my out of state ticket from mass. and it didnt transfer.

most courts in nj will reduce it if you show up to court, so if you wanna spend the gas money and time then go to court

btw what municipality was it?
it was in bridgewater right where 78 and 287 meet.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 01:02 AM

Seriously ... You were at fault speeding , and got caught ... You played and you losed , now pay your fine and next time be smarter and don't overspeed and/or don't get caught
Old Aug 20, 2005, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Just pay the ticket; you WERE breaking the law.

Quick Reply: speeding ticket........what should i do?