Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo having problems

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo having problems

Ok this has to be one of the most confusing things I have ever had to deal with. A couple days ago I put a MBC on my 2003 evo 8 and when I got it on I could not put the boost up to 19psi where I wanted it. For some reason the car kept hitting fuel cut. So I think that is fine and I will just take it to a shop later and have it looked at and stay off the gas. So today I am on my way to work and I am just cruiseing on the interstate and hit the gas and the boost jumps to 26psi and the blow off valve sounds totally different. So once I get to work and I open the hood and all I can see is the vacum line came off the back of the valve, but would not explain the spike in the boost. Does anyone have any ideas of what is going on with my car? BTW my mods are turbo back exhaust, turbosmart mbc, apex timer, k&n typhoon intake, and hks ssqv.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 05:46 PM

that line is what controls your wastegate opening......without it attached to vac your wastegate wont open, and you'll hit full boost until your motor or turbo fries. the bov sounds different (louder for one) when you're running more boost. my brother blew his $8000 sr20det motor from this same thing happening with a very large turbo. put hose clamps on any lines that route from wg to bc to vac etc. good luck.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

What kind of MBC do you have?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Scoot
What kind of MBC do you have?
can you read?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ he has a legit point. There are different brands of MBC out there. And some are really cheesy and don't work well at all....even old bleeder set-ups were once considered MBC :þ
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Alot of people have had problems with a couple different boost controllers. Im pretty sure ive read a similar story with a turbosmart a few months back... your intake is messing with your maf probably causing fuel cut.. Unless you have a boost leak ( which would also cause you to hit fuel cut) its most likely your boost controller, your bov might have a part in it. Get rid of the ssqv and IMO you will solve problems in the future before they even happen, especailly if its vta.

Last edited by bigjhoney; Aug 23, 2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Its The Intake Causing The Fuel Cut. Get A Tune Or Put Back On The Stockie!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

^^ completely missed the intake... put the stock box back in and get a K&N..wont be loud, but i think drivability is more important.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigjhoney
^^ completely missed the intake... put the stock box back in and get a K&N..wont be loud, but i think drivability is more important.

LOSE SOUND, BUT PICK UP DEPENDABLITY AND DRIVABLITY!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jo & Joey
^^^ he has a legit point. There are different brands of MBC out there. And some are really cheesy and don't work well at all....even old bleeder set-ups were once considered MBC :þ
yes, there are. and he listed which mbc he has!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

BTW my mods are turbo back exhaust, turbosmart mbc, apex timer, k&n typhoon intake, and hks ssqv.