Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stuck between complete opposites...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found a number of very low mileage Evos for sale when looking for ours. Ending up finding an MR for 30k from a private seller that had 2581 miles on it. Literally like new in and out, just broken in.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Eh, i wouldn't trust a low miles new evo... probably beat on and owners can tell you anything they want....
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
Eh, i wouldn't trust a low miles new evo... probably beat on and owners can tell you anything they want....
....and you would trust a used GTO? I like the '05 6sp GTO (I'm old) and Holden has been making fast cars in AU for years. But, I would be very leery about buying a used performance car, unless you know the owner and it hasn't been abused.

I think deals are too good right now, not to buy new (GSR) and the deals on both GM and Mits are only get better as we head towards 06, but stock will be harder to locate.

I bought a brand new 03 Evo in June 05 (leftover w/no miles) for like $26k with all rebates. I have 22k miles now, no problems except for new alignment under warranty. The car is driven correctly everyday, only about a dozen hard launches at the track to date (~13.7 Stock) and the clutch is very strong. Overall love the car, but "hate" the attention sometimes. (but your RS would have no wing)

The decision is a difficult one, I am currently browsing to see what i would replace the Evo with (GS35, Legacy GT, TL, etc..) and I'm coming up blank, but there is some intriging stuff on the horizon.

I think you need to drive both right one after the other and see what you like better. I think either way, you'll be happy.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Well it's just that Turbo AWD cars are much easier to abuse, and who knows what mods they did (and took off before resale). Also how many launches before i bought? heh.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 12:01 PM

GTO. It has a Corvette engine! It will be more comfortable for 20k miles a year. It has like 400hp? The styling is deffinitely more bland when compared to the Evo but I still like it, especially if its an 05 with the hood scoops.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Yea the engine is badass, but so is the EVO's (strongest 4 cylinder production engine).

They are very different in their approaches to power however....

LS2 = Extremely flat torque curve, strong from off the line to redline....

4G63= Weak below 3000 RPM, strong from there on until a little before redline when boost tapers.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

I've decided on the goat.

Mitsu wouldn't let me test drive unless i was going to buy the car right then and had proven i was approved to buy. Screw them.

So I test drove another A4 Black w/Red interior. This time i got to really feel the power at lower mph and from a stop. The thing just GOES. You can feel the weight being shifted to the rear and it just takes off. No wheel spin at all. Didn't check to see if T/C was on or not. Felt extremely strong though. Most of what i list is stuff i've already said, but some new things i've thought about.

I think the main reasons why I finally made my decision is this:

1. EVO, while it has good looks, is just too immature looking for me. It looks like a 16 year old should be driving, yet costs 28k.
2. The interior is so bare bones I would probably get sick of it after a year. I want a car that is going to last me at least 6 years. That plays right into my next reason...
3. Suspension. The EVO is much too hard for someone like myself that spends 20k+ miles a year in my car, and while i can see myself liking it at first, after a year i would likely want to sell it.

And the things i like best about the goat:
1. The LS2.... what an awesome engine and sound.
2. Comfortable ride. It rides only slightly more stiff than my parents GS300 and is more comparable to their new M45. Has a very tight turning radius too.
3. The interior is just awesome. I checked out the G35 interior... that is horrible. Horrible design. The dash is centered around the CLOCK! and it looks like they didnt know where to put a vent so stuffed it between the steering column and the dash. Plus the leather in the GTO is very high quality (better than the G).
4. Potential. Some day i may want to SC this puppy, and a SC V8 will be very strong from any RPM and much more reliable than a 2.0L producing 400+whp.

So that sums up what i've been thinking non-stop about. I am searching for the right used 05 GTO for me, and will post with pics when i get it! Thanks for your opinions and help.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you made the decision that works best for you. I would have been more turned off by the Evo suspension if I had a longer commute to work. I will probably only put 10K on my car in a year, if that.

I will certainly agree with you on the simplicity of the Evo interior, but I guess I look at is as having all the necessities, just a very simple presentation.

Keep us informed on the goat. Looking forward to some pictures. I will do the same for my ride. Good luck on your used 05 search.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And on the other side we have crappy paint, horrible interior, gauges, no power windows/locks/mirrors, weak low end power, no ABS, a weak stock clutch, and high maintenance costs
crappy paint job! my paint job is awesome the best paint job i have ever had! no chips and my car is lower! and yes i have a RS

on the interior you have to get use to it..... yes the cluster in nothing out of this world but it works fine ....

no power... well i did a full power transplant.. from mirrors to locks....

weak low end power : learn how to drive!

no abs who care i rather not have it anyways!

weak strock cluch ... i have 27K miles on my clutch and i drive my car i dont baby the thing ... and it holds like a monster!

high maintenace ... the only maintenace i got is this stupid fuel cost! 2.95 a gallon! crap!

thos are my 0.2 cents!
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've decided on the goat.
good!

3. The interior is just awesome. I checked out the G35 interior... that is horrible. Horrible design. The dash is centered around the CLOCK! and it looks like they didnt know where to put a vent so stuffed it between the steering column and the dash. Plus the leather in the GTO is very high quality (better than the G).
you have to be kidding me! you cant never compare a american crappy design car VS a japanese ride i dont care what kind of car!

its like comparing a evo vs a neon!?., or even worst a focus vs a civic?!?
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gabesir
you have to be kidding me! you cant never compare a american crappy design car VS a japanese ride i dont care what kind of car!
Why not?

You can compare engines, power, ride quality, features, etc...you can certainly compare interiors. Not sure if you've looked inside a GTO, but "american crappy design" is not what I'd use to describe it. Plus, they aren't assembled here, they are done in Australia.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
4. Potential. Some day i may want to SC this puppy, and a SC V8 will be very strong from any RPM and much more reliable than a 2.0L producing 400+whp.
Nice choice but be careful with this last part. The LS2 compression ratio does not make it good for boosting. A nice heads/cam package, however, would work quite well.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:27 AM
Account Disabled

Which year GTO? Make sure it has the LS2 and not the LS1. You will make the GTO faster for cheaper in a straight line but to me it looks like a bloated Cavilar.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:45 AM

+1 on the year... I dont think they got the better engine til 2005.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gabesir
crappy paint job! my paint job is awesome the best paint job i have ever had! no chips and my car is lower! and yes i have a RS

on the interior you have to get use to it..... yes the cluster in nothing out of this world but it works fine ....

no power... well i did a full power transplant.. from mirrors to locks....

weak low end power : learn how to drive!

no abs who care i rather not have it anyways!

weak strock cluch ... i have 27K miles on my clutch and i drive my car i dont baby the thing ... and it holds like a monster!

high maintenace ... the only maintenace i got is this stupid fuel cost! 2.95 a gallon! crap!

thos are my 0.2 cents!
Is this your first car?

Everyone knows the paint quality on the EVO's is horrible. It's be noted by pretty much everyone. I don't want to pay $500 plus a whole day of my time to install things that should be there in the first place.

How would learning how to drive add low RPM torque/HP? Do you think about what you are saying or just type the first thought that pops into your head?

You must be a lucky one with a clutch that has lasted that long. Maintenance is notoriously high as well due to the AWD system, very expensive stock brake pads, and very expensive/quick to wear stock tires.

Quick Reply: Stuck between complete opposites...