Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gasoline, are they all the same?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
put 87 in your car, and let me know how it is
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolucion
HAHAHA, well I guess I'mma be driving my hachiroku instead of my evo for a while.
You're driving an 86 and hanging out at a gas station?

No more Inital D for you my friend.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:32 AM

You probably wont see a difference between 87, 89 or 91 on a normal car like a corolla or a camry. But fill 87 in an Evo and you will hear engine knocking, not a pleasant sound! You will have to get a new motor.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

I was driving to St. PAul,MN from Chicago and running out of gas close to Eau Claire, WI and they only had **** 91 octane gas so I was stuck with it for a bit. I never went WOT (dyno flash with 93 octane) but man my idle got worst and it sucked! Got to MN and all they had was 92 octane.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

I find a difference when using two different 93s. Maybe its in my head but my car runs much better with Exxon 93, suppose to no name 93.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Talking

well i think the reason he made that statement because hes been sniffing on gas to get high, maybe thats y he thinks they are same. lol. ill give him a gas to sniff on, and its free.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:09 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GOKOU
I was driving to St. PAul,MN from Chicago and running out of gas close to Eau Claire, WI and they only had **** 91 octane gas so I was stuck with it for a bit. I never went WOT (dyno flash with 93 octane) but man my idle got worst and it sucked! Got to MN and all they had was 92 octane.
There's 92 octane at some of the gas stations in Eau Claire (10% ethanol).

The gas station closest to my house (BP) had 93 octane, or at least we were led to believe that until I called BP's Gasoline Technical Hotline to ask why one BP station in town had 91 octane as their premium unleaded, another had 92 and mine had 93. I told him I didn't believe they were all different. He said he'd check into it. I'd already asked the owner if he was sure that it was 93 and he said yeah he was sure.

A few days later I noticed my station no longer had 93, it was now 91. I asked the owner what happened to the 93 and he threw up his arms and said, "They told me to change it."

BTW, many gas stations in WI (and probably the whole country) don't have the octane that's listed when they're tested.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

All gas stations in america use the same fuel the only difference is the additives that the individual company adds to the fuel (amoco, chevron, exxon, etc.). When a company puts "X" number of barrels of fuel in to the pipeline system they can then take out those "X" number of barrels any where in the country that they need it and don't have to wait the approx. 13 days that it takes for it to reach the other side of the country. All gasoline is required to meet a certain quality before it is added to the system. The difference that you are noticing among gasoline stations is from the additives that they are using.
Discovery or history channel had an hour long program on fuel pipelines that oddly enough was very interesting to watch. But then again I will watch just about anything that is in High Definition.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralliartist
You're driving an 86 and hanging out at a gas station?

No more Inital D for you my friend.
You're right, but I never got sick of watching it. I've musta seen the movie (live action) atleast 10 or more time now

Both cars are fun to drive, but once I got back on the evo. Man I felt really bad for my 86. Slow piece of Shhh . But it's still a fun car to drive. Eversince I bought the 86 I been driving that more than the evo, not because of the gas price. But it's just fun and that it's not an attention grabber like the evo. Wished that it's as powerfull as the evo though .

I would like to see that episode on discovery channel about the the differents of gas. Should be interesting.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Onikun
All gas stations in america use the same fuel the only difference is the additives that the individual company adds to the fuel (amoco, chevron, exxon, etc.). When a company puts "X" number of barrels of fuel in to the pipeline system they can then take out those "X" number of barrels any where in the country that they need it and don't have to wait the approx. 13 days that it takes for it to reach the other side of the country. All gasoline is required to meet a certain quality before it is added to the system. The difference that you are noticing among gasoline stations is from the additives that they are using.
Discovery or history channel had an hour long program on fuel pipelines that oddly enough was very interesting to watch. But then again I will watch just about anything that is in High Definition.
Not Exactly true.....but close. Different parts of the country use different blends Some use more of X chemical while others use more of lets just call it Y. The republic of massachusetts happens to use a higher ratio of MTBE than lets say TEXAS etc etc. In the same region of the country 93 octane is 93 octane so on and so fourth. And as for using 87 octane and calling it 89, I doubt it. Most stations use blender style pumps now, where the 89 is just a mixture of super and regular, much in the same way one would make 97 octane using 91 octane and some 100 octane race gas. I have NO idea how they do it in other parts of the country but here in MASS they have suprise inspections, test for octane and measurment accuracy ( a gallon is never a gallon but it needs to be close) I work at a gas sation with my name on it am I a loser too?

As an aside I am one of those unbranded guys and used to actually do my own trucking of product.....my gas came from 1 of 2 places, Sunoco or Mobil. Suprisingly Mobil unbranded is the least expensive to buy at wholesale yet the most expensive on the retail end.

As to the guy who says his car runs better on X brand rather then A brand, its not in your head but has more to do with the state of the storage tanks at your particular gas station rather then the actuall name on the sign.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 06:28 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evovette
And as for using 87 octane and calling it 89, I doubt it. Most stations use blender style pumps now, where the 89 is just a mixture of super and regular, much in the same way one would make 97 octane using 91 octane and some 100 octane race gas. I have NO idea how they do it in other parts of the country but here in MASS they have suprise inspections, test for octane and measurment accuracy...
We have inspections in our state too, but excerpts from an article (below) states why we don't always get what we pay for:

Drivers pumping premium into their gas tanks aren't always getting high-octane fuel and instead get swindled by service station owners and delivery drivers, a Journal Sentinel investigation has found.

How, Why It Happens

Station owners order too much regular gas on purpose.

They have haulers dump the excess into the premium tanks.

Drivers don't have to comply, but they are paid per delivery and usually rush so they can get to their next stop.

If a driver objects, the station owner may find a new hauler.

High-octane gas vital for high-performance engines

One of four doesn’t pass test

No one can say exactly how prevalent fraud at the pumps is because the state's octane testing program has been dysfunctional for years, regulators concede. But industry insiders and state petroleum inspectors say it is common.

"Gas is being mixed in the tanks improperly when it's delivered," said Marty Kehrein, president of Wisconsin State Inspectors Local 333, which represents Wisconsin's petroleum inspectors. "The octane might not be what it's stated to be, and they (inspectors) have been told by supervisors they can't investigate."

According to industry sources, corrupt station owners strike when they know the price of gas is going up the next day. Some watch the futures crude market on the Internet, others keep in close contact with distributors, still others watch for oil companies to post the following day's price hours before it takes effect.

Ordering too much

The station owners want to buy as much as they can before the new price kicks in, so they intentionally order too much regular no-lead gasoline, and when the trucks arrive to deliver it, there is not enough room in the station's storage tanks to handle it. Station owners or employees then tell the truck drivers to dump the extra into the premium tanks, which often aren't kept as full. They may even offer the drivers a tip for the switch.

"People make mistakes, but it's obvious some people are scheduling mistakes," said Greg Klimek, president of Klemm Tank Lines, Wisconsin's largest transport company. "The opportunity is definitely there."

The delivery drivers do not have to comply. They can call their company's dispatcher - as required - and seek another station to take the remaining load. But drivers are usually paid per delivery and rush to make as many drops as possible. Seeking another station slows them down and, ultimately, there may not be one that can take the blend or amount of fuel they're carrying.

In addition, if the driver objects, the station owner may find a new hauler.

"It's too much of a *****'s market," said the owner of one petroleum transport company, referring to competition among haulers. "There are too many guys that will truck their fuel." The transport company owner - who feared that having his name published would peg him as a rat and destroy his business - said he has lost contracts for not going along with the deception.

"I've worked hard to try and maintain integrity, but the industry and the people driving it make it almost impossible," he said. "Some of them are just . . . crooked. They can get away with it. There's nobody policing it."

Testing problems

Officials with the state Department of Commerce, which regulates petroleum, said they didn't find any octane fraud in Wisconsin last year. But that isn't saying much.

In 1995, the state spent nearly $300,000 on 14 fuel testing units, but there were "major problems" keeping the equipment calibrated and maintained, said Phil Albert, director of the bureau of petroleum products and tanks. Documents show the state spent more than $200,000 over the years servicing the machines but could not keep them consistently working.

"We called it the $20,000 nightlight," said one inspector who did not want his name published for fear of retribution from managers. "It was plugged in. There was a light on. But it just didn't work. . . . For nine years, these people (administrators) spent money on stuff they knew didn't work."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/apr05/317263.asp

Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Wow
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evolucion
That friend of his is very close to the boss so the guy found out that all gasoline are the same.
thats a crooked dealer
turn his a$$ in
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:58 AM
Evolving Member

are newly built gas stations better because of better/modern storage tanks?
Old Nov 18, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

This has been covered before: http://www.toptiergas.com/

Quick Reply: Gasoline, are they all the same?