Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone had a car accident settlement b4?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOONYOASS
Typically a back fusion is worth $150,000. A whiplash and knee surgery is worth probably around $50-75,000, after doctor bills and attorneys fees(33%) you should end up with $15,000-30,000. That is where I got that number from. This is just a guess though. If it goes past normal mediation than your attorneys fees go up to 40%. Keep that in mind.
My attorney fees are 33% so you are correct in that. If it goes to court, yes it can go as high as 40%
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
My attorney fees are 33% so you are correct in that. If it goes to court, yes it can go as high as 40%

33%
is the law for what an attorney is allowed to get, BUT if they have to file a case it goes to 40%. If it goes to a jury trial it goes to 45%.

When the last offer hits the table you can have everybody but your attorney leave the room and you can tell him/her you are not happy but you are willing to settle if they come down off their percentage. I negotiated my attorneys fees down to 20%. Tell them if you are going to take one up the butt they need to take one up the butt too. You should atleast get it down to 30% at the least, but my situation was a lot different than yours and I was REALLY pissed with what they(both my attorneys) wanted me to settle with. Everything is negotiable.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOONYOASS
33% is the law for what an attorney is allowed to get, BUT if they have to file a case it goes to 40%. If it goes to a jury trial it goes to 45%.

When the last offer hits the table you can have everybody but your attorney leave the room and you can tell him/her you are not happy but you are willing to settle if they come down off their percentage. I negotiated my attorneys fees down to 20%. Tell them if you are going to take one up the butt they need to take one up the butt too. You should atleast get it down to 30% at the least, but my situation was a lot different than yours and I was REALLY pissed with what they(both my attorneys) wanted me to settle with. Everything is negotiable.
Thanks a lot bro , youve been the best so far with advise since you have been throught the same as me.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Heres some pics of the accident. I was in the passenger side

Damn, one of the worse Evo wreck I've seen. Glad you're alive though.

Btw, that gold rims look good on RR and RR look kinda orange.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

I was involved in a car accident back in april, 2005. I was riding in my friends rr evo and i was the passenger. We were on our way back to drop off some tools for another Evo owner that let us borrow so we could install the cams. As we were almost to the friends house my friend was making a right hand turn, some 18yr old kid was coming at 60mph on a 35mph zone, unfortunately as we were turning i was t-boned real bad. I was knocked out and i was taken to the hospital. I got cuts, bruises, mesed up neck and back. I also tore the miniscus and ligaments in my knee due to the accident. I have been going to a chiropractor since april and i had knee surgery a month ago. I have never had this happen to me before or experineced this. I currently have an attorney representing me with my case. Since i have never done this before, what can i expect? I have no idea what will happen when they do a settlement, what will i have in my favor since i was a victim and was the passenger? Im kind of nervous and stressed out about all this for the last 5 months. Anyone been in this situation? What was the outcome? Thank you and i appreciate it.

unfortunate things happen to good people. i was too involved in an accident that took over a year to settle. i was a lawsuit. a lady turned left while we were coming towards her and t boned her in her passenger door. similar to yours. check my profile and you will see the pics of my former 2G eclipse GST. the lady was trying to sue us for everything we had. she lived in a mobile home and didnt have much. long story short and things we learned-get a good attorney. log all the hours or minutes you speak with the attorney about anything-i mean anything. they charge you for that. DONT TALK WITH THE OTHER INSURANCE HOLDER WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR ATTORNEY. IF THEY TELL YOU TO SIGN ANYTHING, REFUSE AND GIVE THEM THE NUMBER TO YOUR ATTORNEY-PERIOD. even if they say it is a formality, dont sign it. forward it to your shark. let him/her look it over before you put your name on anything. READ THE POLICE REPORT. make sure that the report is correct to the letter. any inconsistancies may be to the other parties benifit. point and case-our accident- there was a strong odor coming from her vehicle that smelled of alcohol. SHE WAS NEVER GIVEN A B/A/C TEST!!!!!! she very well could have been drinking but was never tested. the claim of alcohol smell came from a witness/bystander. okay back on track-as far as you being a passenger, they (the insurance carrier) may ask you to go after your friends insurance and sue them on your behalf to accuire money for pain and suffering. my wife was the passenger in our case and they suggested to her that they sue my insurance holder for more money. my wife declined to sue me(insurance wise) for obvious reasons. i was the driver and she was the passenger in her own car. that is why they suggested to sue my insurance(i have a separate carrier for my other cars that is different from hers.) ALSO ANOTHER NOTE-try not to talk with your friends insurance too much either-it may hurt you or your friends case because you may give them information unintentionally that may put you at complete fault-because of your "modded supercar" or you were racing or something.

good luck to you. let me tell you, it took at least year for our case to be settled. my wife still has back problems to this day. i occasionally have back problems as well. result of our case-the other party got $50k, yup fifty thousand dollars because she turned in front of us....taking our right of way away from us...hmmmm dont make sense does it??!!? guess what we got?? after attorney fees and such $2800. yup, didnt even pay for the wheels on the damn car. talk about a crappy attorney. sorry so long and winded, but be very careful. makes you think about other peoples driving abilities and how fast your life could have ended doesnt it....my wife now has high anxiety when ever we drive somewhere thinking that it will happen again. good luck. pm me if you want to know more about what to do. thank you all for reading.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, i really appreciate it
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AznFlip
Damn, one of the worse Evo wreck I've seen. Glad you're alive though.

Btw, that gold rims look good on RR and RR look kinda orange.
yea red looks kinda orange in pictures for some reason
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

I think it has a oranage mica, that's why it look orange on pictures, especially with flash on.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Okay.. Evo owner want to be safe in Evo.. time to install Roll cage!! more safe!
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hanahawaiian
Okay.. Evo owner want to be safe in Evo.. time to install Roll cage!! more safe!
Funny you say that because my friend was just about to put in a roll cage, too late for that
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

DAmn but ur lucky to alive!.. so put in your Evo if u want to be safer
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hanahawaiian
DAmn but ur lucky to alive!.. so put in your Evo if u want to be safer
I know! It wasnt my time...I will be putting a roll cage in my car bc since the accident i dont feel safe anymore, also good for when my car is heavily modded for the track so i dont get kicked out
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah.. also make sure buy High quality racing Seat (sparco or bride.. Evo stock Seat okay) with Racing harness (Takata, Sparco.. etc) but they are $$$$ but they will save your life with Roll cage.. good for Autocross, racing and trackin or street drive daily..
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Took years to set up my settlement, so don't hold your breath or count on it... just enjoy it and use it wisely when it does arrive.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

I have read that a roll cage is actually more dangerous in a street car. I would guess this is because on the street the driver isn't wearing a helmet, head striking roll cage(big metal pipe) means bad news! I can see the danger in it.

Quick Reply: Anyone had a car accident settlement b4?