Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Arco Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arco Gasoline

simple question:
Do anyone know about ARCO gasoline, is it cheaper because of less quality or ............ ?

Gas price so expensive nowadays....need to save up!
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:28 PM
byt
Evolving Member

Cheaper because they do not accept credit cards. Cash/atm/debit only.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Dosen't Arco use (u.s.a.) non imported oil? i thought that's why it was cheaper
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:38 AM

I used to use Arco on my integra because it was cheaper. I'm not sure if it's because of less quality. But when I used the more expensive gas (Shell, Exxon, Chevron etc) I found that I got more miles to the gallon. And when I did the math, I saved more going with the more expensive gas. Since then I try to use Exxon or Chevron. I think it might be less quality. But I have no proof.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:44 AM
CDO
Evolving Member

From ARCO website:

For years, ARCO has had a simple business philosophy: "high volume equals low cost." We continue to operate that way. That means the more efficient we are, the more you save at the pump, often 6-7 cents per gallon, compared to the competition.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

All Arco fuels have 10% ethanol year round. They have to add it to reach the proper octane levels required. I get worse gas mileage with the ethanol.

I've heard there’s a service fee when you use your debit card.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 02:35 AM
Evolving Member

I noticed while using Arco in my prior car (02 Maxima) that I actually got slightly better gas mileage with Arco instead of Chevron or 76. The car was just a hair down on power. I had to throw in $5 of Arco the other day because my light came on earlier than expected and that's kind of all I had to chose from. It seemed to run just fine and I didn't notice any power loss. I toped off with 76.

Dave
Old Aug 26, 2005, 03:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Autoxevo
All Arco fuels have 10% ethanol year round. They have to add it to reach the proper octane levels required. I get worse gas mileage with the ethanol.

i believe you are right. i filled up my gf's car and got the reciept and i think she said, "wtf they charge you for using your debit."
Old Aug 26, 2005, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Autoxevo
There is. When you pay on the island by the pumps there's a note (in small print) saying there's a fee for paying with a debit card. I haven't been to Arco in a while but I think it's like 39 cents.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

I only use top tier gasoline Arco is not listed. http://www.toptiergas.com/
Old Aug 26, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

I have a few family members who work at the Arco refinery in Carson, California. All Arco gasoline in California is from domestic oil, they have TONS of the stuff stored up where if they wanted to they could seel it for 2 dollars a gallon. But they wouldn't make as much money as they are now heh
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:52 AM

I use it all the time. Maybe I'm a bad evo owner, but I have a hard time paying 20 cents more next door. I've had zero issues with it and haven't noticed a difference when I have filled up with 'better' gas, and that includes 94 octane.

BTW, the 94 isn't available around here, I actually have to go to Canada to get it or else I'd use it all the time.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Most of the station around here have generic distributors and rarely will you see a rig with a corporate logo.The least expensive here is either Racetrack or Sam's.I haven't had any problems with the quality based on the name on the pump.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by zmeli
I only use top tier gasoline Arco is not listed. http://www.toptiergas.com/
good answer thank you.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultra721
I used to use Arco on my integra because it was cheaper. I'm not sure if it's because of less quality. But when I used the more expensive gas (Shell, Exxon, Chevron etc) I found that I got more miles to the gallon. And when I did the math, I saved more going with the more expensive gas. Since then I try to use Exxon or Chevron. I think it might be less quality. But I have no proof.
Probably it's different combination of driving or weather. (atmospheric pressure)

I use to work for SFPP and they own almost 100% of all military and civilian Gasolines/Diesel/Jet Fuel pipelines in California, Neveda and I think also arizona. AFter they merged with Kinder Morgan, they probably own more. All 87 gasoline is the same for every gas station, except that certain ones like chevron add extra additives on top of the regular additives. They justify a price increase per gallon because of this. Some stations also have different rules on how much water can be at the bottom of the tank at the gas station without having to pump it out.

In fact, 87 octane is slightly higher than 87 because if they run through the same pipeline 92 octane before the 87, they cut the flowin the tail of the 92 octane stream so that you don't degrade the 92 octane thus getting a little bit of 92 octane gas in the 87. But essentially the additives are mixed right before the truck picks up the fuel.

The minor difference between the so called "worst" station and "best" station won't give you a difference in your mileage. On a cold higher pressure day, if you floor it, you are using a little more gas than on a hot low pressure day because you are putting more oxygen in your engine on a cold day. If one week is scorching hot, you fill up and the next week is cool weather, you'll notice the difference. It has nothing to do with the quality of gas.

Water is not added to gasoline by the attendants, it flows in to the tank from rain or washing the station floor. After some time it settles at the bottom of the tank. The pump pumps from the surface of the gasoline so it never pumps water. Except when they fill up the tank with new gas, it stirs up the water and gas content and that's how you get a little water in your car's gas tank.

Quick Reply: Arco Gasoline