Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New clutch=Bad news?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone define abuse? This car was made to run so I want to know what abuse is.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:10 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by dsm95hybrid
+1- restrictor removed + ss braided line = 12.07@113.89 & 107 hard drag launches (1.7 60') and 10k mi.
I HIGHLY doubt you are making 400whp and still on the stock clutch. Also the HP doesn't make sense with your trap speed. Enlighten me please.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:19 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 1BADASSEVO8
I HIGHLY doubt you are making 400whp and still on the stock clutch. Also the HP doesn't make sense with your trap speed. Enlighten me please.
You have been enlightened. Check your PM for dyno charts.

We are also speaking of a 6sp that takes 5 gears to get down the 1320 which drops trap speed. I am the fastest MR on stock turbo in the country, I know.

Last edited by dsm95hybrid; Aug 30, 2005 at 07:25 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To be completely honest....these cars can take a beating.....thats what they were made to do.

Even if the guy was aggressive with the car it isn't gonna make a bit of difference to you except that now you have a new clutch to beat on.

I beat the crap out of my 2G eclispe for 138k miles......and the only thing I replaced was a clutch and a two timing belts. The EVO is 4X the car and made to take abuse. Odds are you will get the car beat the crap out of it and sell it before you have any problems.

If the car drives great and doesn't have any problems now you are good to go. Just make sure you check with mitsu to verify there is an existing warranty.

When I bought my EVO (used) I told the guy I dont care how he drove it because no one is worse on cars than I am. At 19K miles I am on my fourth set of tires.

If the car is strong.....work out a great deal and get it.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
To be completely honest....these cars can take a beating.....thats what they were made to do.

Even if the guy was aggressive with the car it isn't gonna make a bit of difference to you except that now you have a new clutch to beat on.

I beat the crap out of my 2G eclispe for 138k miles......and the only thing I replaced was a clutch and a two timing belts. The EVO is 4X the car and made to take abuse. Odds are you will get the car beat the crap out of it and sell it before you have any problems.

If the car drives great and doesn't have any problems now you are good to go. Just make sure you check with mitsu to verify there is an existing warranty.

When I bought my EVO (used) I told the guy I dont care how he drove it because no one is worse on cars than I am. At 19K miles I am on my fourth set of tires.

If the car is strong.....work out a great deal and get it.
That's the way I see it.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:31 AM
Account Disabled

You have been enlightened. Check your PM for dyno charts.

We are also speaking of a 6sp that takes 5 gears to get down the 1320 which drops trap speed. I am the fastest MR on stock turbo in the country, I know.

What dyno is this on. Aerocomp or CFT. Because if it is Aerocomp that explains it. That dyno reads really high. About the stock blah blah blah. I tihnk you have the fatest stock turbo on this board, not in the country .
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

What dyno is this on. Aerocomp or CFT. Because if it is Aerocomp that explains it. That dyno reads really high. About the stock blah blah blah. I tihnk you have the fatest stock turbo on this board, not in the country .
http://www.evolutionmr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:02 AM
Account Disabled

Everyone should VOW down to you as you are making 400WHP and ONLY trapping 113mph.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:06 AM
Account Disabled

Everyone should VOW down to you as you are making 400WHP and ONLY trapping 113mph.
Since when were we married? Learn to use english. You come in here to discredit AMS's numbers, my own and with what basis? Go home.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:16 AM
Account Disabled

Since when were we married? Learn to use english. You come in here to discredit AMS's numbers, my own and with what basis? Go home.
Since i pointed you out, you now are talking about my grammar. lmao. I am not discrediting AMS in no way, as Martins #'s are on HIS dyno and not Aercomps HIGH READING dyno. Go dyno on a REAL dyno and come back and tell us what you are making on pump and meth.

Check out the link with the Bogus 469 whp on stock turbo on the HIGH READING DYNO, no wonder you claim 400whp. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=144371

P.S. Why don't you add to the sig that it was ont he Aercomp dyno .

Last edited by 1BADASSEVO8; Aug 30, 2005 at 08:21 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

^Damn...I'm not getting involved in that. I will say this. The Evo is a strong car, but the clutch has been known to be a weak link. Perhaps it's an effort by the brilliant men at Mitsu to protect the rest of the car or simply a design flaw. Either way, I've driven the Evo like an Evo (not a Buick, which may be percieved by some as abuse) and my clutch is still working great after 16.5k. Check the rest of the car and don't make a determination based solely on the clutch alone.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:22 AM
Account Disabled

Since i pointed you out, you now are talking about my grammar. lmao. I am not discrediting AMS in no way, as Martins #'s are on HIS dyno and not Aercomps HIGH READING dyno. Go dyno on a REAL dyno and come back and tell us what you are making on pump and meth.
Oh, did I mention that the AMS car was within about 7whp of "their own dyno" when run at aerocomp. Tell me then what is the variance in %, I'm not very good in math.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:25 AM
Account Disabled

Oh, did I mention that the AMS car was within about 7whp of "their own dyno" when run at aerocomp. Tell me then what is the variance in %, I'm not very good in math.
Yeah ok, what about the cars that were their, and were making 390whp on PUMP with HARDLY ANY MODS and NO Methanol. Did you read what i wrote earlier. What about EVIL EVO that was caliming 357whp with on cams etc....
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:39 AM
Account Disabled

Yeah ok, what about the cars that were their, and were making 390whp on PUMP with HARDLY ANY MODS and NO Methanol. Did you read what i wrote earlier. What about EVIL EVO that was caliming 357whp with on cams etc....
Yeah OK what? Go call AMS or email KevPSR if you want the truth. It was the "truth" you were looking for, wasn't it? Or to save face would you rather not investigate further?

Show me the dynosheet you speak of on 93 octane at 390whp. I showed you mine so this should be a simple request.

You have to dyno in the correct gear for that dyno. It is not a "cheap" (relative to dyno costs) dyno, it is a complex $125k+ precision unit. The settings are calibrated for measurement in a certain speed range and more recently have been calibrated to meet dynojet readings =even. You put it in 4th or 5th and the numbers get a little bent. Some found this out the hard way as the dyno day came right after the calibration and this issue was unknown. 3rd gear pulls on a 5sp are rock solid accurate, 4th gear gets a little bent due to additional load and hence boost and partially it runs out of it's accuracy range. BoostedJoe has since rerun at 3rd gear runs at 408whp, a few mods later 432. It is accurate.

Those others you spoke of came the weekend after Mustang came down and calibrated the unit as this is like one of 5 dyno's of it's kind in the country.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:57 AM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
If the car feel good to you, doesn't show any machanical symtons and you get a good deal (good price) then get it. The car is on a stock clutch which is good since it implies the tranmission cannot take any more abuse than it should have.

The evo is damm easy to fix for a pretty low price compare to other high performance cars so keep that in mind. 15k on stock clutch is consider normal if the guy was driving it did some clutch slippings at the light for the launch.

Get it if you feel good about it. :-)