Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oil change and service at dealer Southern California

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change and service at dealer Southern California

I just went to Anaheim today for my first oil change at 500 miles. I went there because I bought my Evo there and the sales manager gave me my first oil change free. I asked how much they would charge for an oil change on the Evo and they said $90 to $100. I understand the Evo requires Mobile 1 10W30 syn. oil, but it seems like it is way too much just for an oil change.

In addition, I looked at the service and maintence part in the manual and I noticed that the dealer would only "check" the related parts for most of the minor and intermediate services, but they charge couple hundreds with the services just to check everything is ok and not replacing anything.

Would like to know where do you guys who live in So. Cal go for an oil change and services for your Evo besides dealership?

In case there is something happened later on with some parts (supposed they are covered under warranty), would they deny my warranty just because I went to non- dealer for services?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

i went to quick lube one time and one time only. paid 75 bucks. from then on i go to wal-mart and get the 25 gal bottle of mobil 1 for 26 bucks and then i go to autozone and get the mobil 1 filter for 12 bucks and do it myself. i like doing everything on my car myself.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for the reply, but I live in apartment and there is no way for me to do an oil change here. I would love to just to save money, but that is the limitation I have.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

well, if you can't do it there, i would suggest buying the oil and filter and take it to a quick lube place. the ones here in central cali don't mind if you bring your own supplies. they still make money from labor. but, i wouldn't suggest going to a dealer for maintenance. just too expensive.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Break-in fluid changes are paramount.

Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

I actually have a mechanics who does all the services on my Type R. They charge me for a super low price for an oil change too. Maybe I will bring in the oil and filter and let them do it again on my Evo.

Dealerships are just charging way too expensive for services.

So for those who have services in dealerships, how much they charge you for an oil change?
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

At least you got your first oil change done for free.

If you have a friend that's a good mechanic, that's the way to go.

Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

why change your oil only 500miles on your car?i thought every 3,000 mlies or every 3 months.anyways can't change your oil at your apartment?do it yourself or go to a friends house,if not maybe a family relatives house?for me i go to my dad's house for do my oil change,wash my car and etc...
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

I wished to find a place to do it myself, but the problem is all my friends pay someone to do their oil changes for their cars -_-

500 mile for an oil change because I am following a break-in procedure that some of you are doing for a brand new Evo. Not sure if it is correct, but it never hurt the car for an oil change and to drain the deposits from the new motor.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

(-_-); change it at 3000miles...no need to change at 500
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude filter and crush washer from mitsu is 7 bux... oil is like 18 bux.... your all overpaying

My mitsu dealer charges at most 65 for an oilchange, so i dont do it, also the fluids change of the diffs and stuff they wanted to charge over 400 bux.... i bought the stuff for 50 bux and did it myself @ my friends shop, it was so easy, and i didn't have those type of shavings the other owner above had, wtf did you do, launch every t ime you drove?
Old Aug 27, 2005, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fa$[- a$ $hi[-
i went to quick lube one time and one time only. paid 75 bucks. from then on i go to wal-mart and get the 25 gal bottle of mobil 1 for 26 bucks and then i go to autozone and get the mobil 1 filter for 12 bucks and do it myself. i like doing everything on my car myself.
I feel like I am looking in a mirror! Even buy from the same places I do....

For the guy who started the thread, if you keep all the reciepts they may try to get out of warrenty work, but you will be able to get them to cave in. Personally I used my warrenty as toilet paper and don't worry about it!

Keith
Old Aug 27, 2005, 09:01 AM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
If you don't want to do it yourself, get your butt to Huntington Beach Mitsu. The oil change shouldn't cost more than $60.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

I plan on changing mine every 5000 miles - I don't drive it that hard. Here's what I do. I buy 6 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic at Wal Mart for about $25. I then take it to Big O Tires. They charge me about $25 for labor and filter. They just use the synthetic oil that I bring them. The car only takes about 4.5 quarts. So your left with about 1.5 quarts. Every three oil changes, therefore, you'll have enough leftover to use for a complete change. So the total cost is about $45 bucks if you do it this way. I was going to change it myself, but I didn't want to buy ramps, a strap wrench, etc. Plus, I've changed enough oil in my life to want to pay someone to get dirty for me.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nbpal4000
(-_-); change it at 3000miles...no need to change at 500

WRONG

Quick Reply: Oil change and service at dealer Southern California