Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Vs Sti, that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used my 03 Evo as a daily driver for almost two years now, and it does absolutely fine. I have two teen-aged boys and they appreciate the back seat room, something the WRX STi simply doesn't have. I take my Evo to the grocery store (the Evo's trunk easily swallows up a week's worth of groceries), drop the kids off at school, fill the trunk with sports equipment, and occasionally drive down to the coast for beach trips. The Evo accomodates all of that very well. Thre is a lot of talk about how stiff the Evo's suspension is, but honestly, it really isn't that big a deal. You get used to it pretty quickly. I replaced my Advans when they wore out with Pirelli P-Zero Nero all season tires and noticed a significant reduction in interior noise, plus a sightly smoother ride. The all season tires made the Evo a year-round car, and the reduction in cornering performance is not noticeable in everyday driving. I replaced the audio system to make my long drives even more pleasant. I am debating the installation of an aftermarket cruise control, as that would make the beach trips more comfortable. Other than that, the Evo is a suprisingly good daily driver that does everything I could reasonably ask of it.

My wife loves driving the car, plus freaking out the local car enthusiasts when they see a forty-five year old woman tooling around town in an Evo. As they say, the looks on their faces is priceless...
Old Aug 31, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lee_K
I've used my 03 Evo as a daily driver for almost two years now, and it does absolutely fine. I have two teen-aged boys and they appreciate the back seat room, something the WRX STi simply doesn't have. I take my Evo to the grocery store (the Evo's trunk easily swallows up a week's worth of groceries), drop the kids off at school, fill the trunk with sports equipment, and occasionally drive down to the coast for beach trips. The Evo accomodates all of that very well. Thre is a lot of talk about how stiff the Evo's suspension is, but honestly, it really isn't that big a deal. You get used to it pretty quickly. I replaced my Advans when they wore out with Pirelli P-Zero Nero all season tires and noticed a significant reduction in interior noise, plus a sightly smoother ride. The all season tires made the Evo a year-round car, and the reduction in cornering performance is not noticeable in everyday driving. I replaced the audio system to make my long drives even more pleasant. I am debating the installation of an aftermarket cruise control, as that would make the beach trips more comfortable. Other than that, the Evo is a suprisingly good daily driver that does everything I could reasonably ask of it.

My wife loves driving the car, plus freaking out the local car enthusiasts when they see a forty-five year old woman tooling around town in an Evo. As they say, the looks on their faces is priceless...
Well put...Do you have any links to aftermarket cruise control retailers. Please share with us. I also want to install a cruise control system.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nextcar
Lets add into the equation the Nissan G35 coupe with all wheel drive @ 300hp
actually, the g35x does not come in a coupe. a coupe is a 2 door car.

to be honest with you, i have been considering the pros and cons of the sti/evo/g35x/audi a4-6 for several months now. i ended up going with neither of them since i have a friend who is a mechanic and loves to work on cars. i now have a 92 Talon TSI.

I would have eliminated the g35x eventually based on the fact that a supercharger would be a $5k investment and a naturally aspirated engine sucks in the mountains. i would have eliminated the audis as well because they cost too much for the performance.

Ultimately, it boils down to sti vs evo. the wart on the hood of the sti eats up too much of my vision to be tolerated but many other things are better than the evo, such as interior, 6 speed (5k more for an mr), dccd, more miles per gas tank. but, why is the evo still an option? handling. modability. more rear legroom. the evo just seems like it was designed by someone with a philosophy near to my own. the evo is such a sexy beast.

your question is unanswerable by anyone except yourself.

strike
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
Well put...Do you have any links to aftermarket cruise control retailers. Please share with us. I also want to install a cruise control system.
Yes, Rostra:

http://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm
Old Sep 10, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Test driving both cars made up my mind. I couldn't stand the STI seats for more than 10 minutes before my back hurt. The EVO was heaven. The STI has a nicer interior though - automatic climate control, cruise control, nicer and easier to read gauges. Also the EVO's steering is night/day better than the STI's. Quicker and more precise. I say drive both and decide for yourself. They are both fast, handle well, and both ride stiff.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 09:43 AM

Unmodded id go STI
Modded id go Evo
Old Sep 10, 2005, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

like he said mods go evo, keeping it stock go sti