Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Vs Sti, that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:23 PM
PCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Vs Sti, that is the ?

Hi All,

First post, have been reading for a while. I am trying to decide if an Evo is going to work best for me. I would like to hear from folks who have driven both the Evo and STi and how they compare/differ. I know there are a lot of this threads out there and have read them, however, I'm 40 years old and have family type size concerns for a car. I would like to test drive both, the 06 Sti's are out but not the Evo 9's. I have been thinking of an CTS-v, however not feeling good about the problems, rearend, wheelhop etc...not to mention the $.

Thanks,
PCW
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

From my own experience I have driven my friends 04 STI and i have an MR.
The Evo has no power until 3000 rpm. Feels like you are driving a very weak 3 or 4 cylinder car. When the the turbo kicks in it's a totally different car; Dr jekle/Mr Hyde.

Sti is a better daily driver. power is much more linear and the turbo tapers off real early.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm 40+ with kids. My Evo's great for getting around town with the family (although the wife says the ride is too rough). I test drove both the (03) Evo and STI and liked the handling and gearbox on the Evo better than the STI.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:37 PM
PCW

The insurance differents is 800.00 more for the Sti, per year, that surprised me. Is the ride really that rough? I drive a Saab 95 Aero with 17" wheels with a sport tune supension, the ride is fairly ruff
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

I've seen a couple of the new STis out on the road... they look good in person. As you've read in all the threads, they're both great cars.

Something that may not have been mentioned in the other threads: The Evo has 3" more legroom in the back due to a longer wheelbase
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
I love the stiff ride - My wife likes to complain!

Actually what took me the most getting used to is the lack of insulation in the floor. They spread a lot of salt/sand on the roads in CT in the winter, and you can hear most of it hitting the bottom of the car once the snow melts.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

If you have no desire to do any modifications, then I'd go with the STi. You could get back some of that sub-3000rpm power deficiency of the EVO with a simple turbo back exhaust, while still being very quiet. If you're concerned about how rough a ride the cars are for the kids/wifey, then you're looking at the wrong bracket here, sorry. These might be sedans, and some people might get along fine with them in the daily driven family sense, but thats not the intended purpose. They're fast, quick steering, fast braking, bumpy riding sports cars in "econobox" clothing begging to be driven at their limits. You want power + awd + real world comfort? Then maybe Audi S series, Volvo R series or BMW iX's are your answers.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:49 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I just may sell all and get the new ZO6

Personally I like the evo better since it has the quicker steering and better seats. If you prefer a better dash over seats get the STi. Anyways for the performance difference the STi is the better deal in terms of pricing.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PCW
The insurance differents is 800.00 more for the Sti, per year, that surprised me. Is the ride really that rough? I drive a Saab 95 Aero with 17" wheels with a sport tune supension, the ride is fairly ruff
LoL no offense, but "sport tuned" usually means a SLIGHT drop in ride heighth and maybe a couple lbs stiffer spring, even with 17" rims I'm sure the stock Saab wheels are H or V rated tires. I took a ride at an autocross in a Saab quite like yours, no comparison. These cars have very, very stiff suspension compared to dang near anything else on the road, and the tires of the EVO (not sure about the STi) have sidewalls made of stone. You WILL feel every crack, rock, bump and imperfection in the road. Your best bet is to really just go test drive these cars.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 07:37 PM
PCW

Thanks all!!!!!!
Old Aug 28, 2005, 07:42 PM
Account Disabled

driven 05 STI & 05 EVO 8. Evo sportier and better conected to road, Roomier and deeper sitting seats. STI a bit more smooth ride but both feel sports suspension. STI gives 6 spd, side airbags (won't miss unless you get nailed) You can drive a better deal on an STI $$. STI will hold current body to 08 - evo changes next year. Both ugly super performance machines a blast to drive...I like ...I like, I'm still trying to decide too.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

For personal enjoyment, I would prefer the Evo. Stiff suspension, precise handling. If the vehicle will be driven 50%-50% between you and your spouse. Maybe the STI. A little more forgiving suspension and not so pricise handling (compared to the Evo that is). Also less turbo lag on the STI due to the bigger displacement engine.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

It was hard for myself deciding between the two. I believe the Evo is slightly more roomier than the STI. Evo seats are more ideal for a leaner person.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
In my case the decision was easy. I drove both the STI and the EVO on the track and I liked the EVO better. I will not comment on the suspension since the EVO had JIC FLTA2 and the STI had lowering springs only.

The steering of the EVO was way more precise and immediate than the STI. The gear ratios on the STI SUCK BIG TIME. They are so short that you are always shifting even on a technical track like Streets of Willow. I hated life with the STI. Everytime the fun started the car was at redline and I was forced to shift. Why in the name of God would you put such short gear ratios when you have a 2.5 liter engine!!!

I also do not like FRAMELESS windows and every darn Subaru has them. The door feels flimsy and rattles every time you close the door as time goes along.

I do not agree that the EVO does not have power below 3000 rpm. On my 2005 EVO power is adequate in all the gears down low except in 5th gear. I have no problem accelerating from a role in 5th gear as long as the speed is at 55-60 mph. On the freeway I drive at 75-80 mph and I do not have to shift to pass.

Is the suspension stiff? Not for me it isn't, but then again I like stiff suspensions on my daily driver. My SR20 powered Sentra rolled on KYB AGXs and 300 front and 250 rear spring rates. I loved the suspension on that car.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

If you have any desire to modify look at it this way:

STI: US-Spec only engine setup, not the 2.0l setup everywhere else. Drive by wire throttle which ultimately takes control of the throttle out of your hands and leaves it up to th ECU. For a large jump in horsepower, it will cost you much more than similar gains in the EVO.

EVO: Time tested 4g63 engine, Cable throttle, a buttload of performance options and knowledgeable tuners. To make good power gains is relatively inexpensive in compared to the STI.

Quick Reply: Evo Vs Sti, that is the ?