Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

best exhaust for evo's

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Bigger is not necessarily better unless you have an upgraded turbo. You don't need a 3.5" on a car with bolt-ons...
Do you know this to be a fact or are you just repeating something you have read?

Last time I checked a larger diameter pipe is less restrictive then a smaller one; less restriction on a turbo car = more power.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Ti does not flex very well it will crack if push to the limit of tensile strength were as steel will bend. TI is very strong for it weight and thickness compared to other metals.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
Do you know this to be a fact or are you just repeating something you have read?

Last time I checked a larger diameter pipe is less restrictive then a smaller one; less restriction on a turbo car = more power.
In this case, only from what I've read as written by respectable tuners in the DSM arena. Larger diameter is only better up to a certain extent. The marginal returns are diminishing as you get larger, and 3" seems to be the best combination of size, performance, and price...
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreenPsycho
Sorry to correct you, but titanium is very hard, but not as strong as you think. I believe its quite brittle actually, the reason why he made the comment on it cracking.

Steel is strong, so it will dent or flex
I don't know, back when I played lacrosse I used a titanium shaft on my stick. They took enormous beatings and never cracked. Sure they dinged, but never cracked.

But I could be very wrong
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
In this case, only from what I've read as written by respectable tuners in the DSM arena. Larger diameter is only better up to a certain extent. The marginal returns are diminishing as you get larger, and 3" seems to be the best combination of size, performance, and price...
Seconding this. The only reason you would want to go > 3" is if you are running a huge turbo like a T78-88 or something those crazy Supra guys run.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know if there is a best exhaust but I have a Magnaflow Ti catback and have been very happy with it.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

My vote goes for the Works Stealth muffler, because it looks stock.

m~
Old Aug 30, 2005, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by macster
My vote goes for the Works Stealth muffler, because it looks stock.

m~

+1

Old Aug 30, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost

You will also start to lose street drivability (torque) when you go bigger than 3". I wouldn't recommend it either unless you have a big turbo.

As far as exhaust, the Buschur 3" with Magnaflow is almost as quiet as stock and performs very well.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Nobody has mentioned Rhys Millen...are they no good for exhaust?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

I have the megan racing catback (along with helix dp and test pipe), and I have to say it works very well. I dont see how you could get a straighter, better flowing exhaust without mounting it in the middle of the bumper...heh. That being said, it is very loud since it does not include a resonator, and the muffler doesnt look like it does much. But it makes great power, which is most of the point.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

If you have the money go with Greddy Ti Catback, and a titanium test pipe/and downpipe. Or the APS 3.5 (it's not over-kill!!!!!). Just my opinion.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 09:19 PM

Last edited by monmashq; Oct 11, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by monmashq
Why do you guys wanna put a new exhaust on a the Evo and make it sound like Stock?
Because changing the exhaust is for power, not sound. Sound gets annoying over time and in some places, like where I live, you get ticketed for anything that makes anymore noise than stock.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

With a very large >3 inch exhaust you will lose back pressure which will cause a lose in power with bolt on's. I have the hks dp and exhaust, I total recommend it for those that want great power and good sound (not to loud). I remember looking at exhaust threads like 2 years ago. This thread brings me back to the drive home from the shop with the new exhaust. Loved it.

Quick Reply: best exhaust for evo's