Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sold Evo, Here's a Story of my Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sold Evo, Here's a Story of my Experience

Well I owned my 03 Apex Metallic Silver Evolution for a short period of 1yr. In that period, i have went through good and bad times with this wonderful car. i first got the car with a slipping clutch, 25k miles, Greddy type S BOV, AEM intake and 3in catback. Immediately replaced the clutch with ACT HDSS with a new OEM flywheel and learned my lesson as i asked a "experienced" mechanic to do the job as I helped...BAD MOVe. Nightmare. Took 7 days total 8hr shifts and my car was not in the best shape. I started modding slowly and added small things, boost gauge, turbo timer, new exhaust, downpipe, etc... basic bolt ons, and also went through 10 BOVs just so i knew which was best for the Evo. I studied the Evo about 6-8 months before I got the Evo. The day i got the Evo was the happiest day of my life! I loved this car to death. The steering is ultimate, the low end torque was unbelievable as my other car was a N/A 2g Eclipse with i/e. I never knew a car could feel this way. It felt as if i was taking off in a jet.... unbelievable car. As i started studying online and seeing how the Evo was stompin on competition in magzines, videos, streets, i knew this was NOT a typical car. The Evo boosted my confidence, brought me happiness, stress, and cost me more than i thought it ever would. Through it all, i miss it like CRAZY but plan to get another one in about 2-4yrs but will be on these forums everyday and read about amazing Evo stories and graphs as if i still owned my Evo...PS DONT EVER GET AN 03! . PSS: Mitsubishi dealerships are the absolute worst people to ever serve customers and sell cars
Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

I've yet to have a problem on my '03. it's been a great car!
Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Ditto, I'm the third owner of my '03, rock solid thus far...
Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

why did you sell, are you planning on saving up for the X?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
this kid doesn't know anything...........

He tried 10 different BOV, most were probably VTA

and took 7 days to do a clutch job. Duh
Old Sep 2, 2005, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

03 Runs Perfect
Old Sep 2, 2005, 01:46 AM

my 03 is stock and ive never had problems and im hoping i never will
Old Sep 2, 2005, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
Well I owned my 03 Apex Metallic Silver Evolution for a short period of 1yr. In that period, i have went through good and bad times with this wonderful car. i first got the car with a slipping clutch, 25k miles, Greddy type S BOV, AEM intake and 3in catback. Immediately replaced the clutch with ACT HDSS with a new OEM flywheel and learned my lesson as i asked a "experienced" mechanic to do the job as I helped...BAD MOVe. Nightmare. Took 7 days total 8hr shifts and my car was not in the best shape. I started modding slowly and added small things, boost gauge, turbo timer, new exhaust, downpipe, etc... basic bolt ons, and also went through 10 BOVs just so i knew which was best for the Evo. I studied the Evo about 6-8 months before I got the Evo. The day i got the Evo was the happiest day of my life! I loved this car to death. The steering is ultimate, the low end torque was unbelievable as my other car was a N/A 2g Eclipse with i/e. I never knew a car could feel this way. It felt as if i was taking off in a jet.... unbelievable car. As i started studying online and seeing how the Evo was stompin on competition in magzines, videos, streets, i knew this was NOT a typical car. The Evo boosted my confidence, brought me happiness, stress, and cost me more than i thought it ever would. Through it all, i miss it like CRAZY but plan to get another one in about 2-4yrs but will be on these forums everyday and read about amazing Evo stories and graphs as if i still owned my Evo...PS DONT EVER GET AN 03! . PSS: Mitsubishi dealerships are the absolute worst people to ever serve customers and sell cars
nice post, and we will be awaiting your return
Old Sep 2, 2005, 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

PSS: Mitsubishi dealerships are the absolute worst people to ever serve customers and sell cars
strongly agree! this is so true.........
Old Sep 2, 2005, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

my other car was a N/A 2g Eclipse with i/e
Gosh it's like ME! kinda

this is me when I was 19 when I had my 2g with i/e as well. (almost 23 now)

luckily my 05 is running strong though. hope to see you back soon!
Old Sep 2, 2005, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

PS DONT EVER GET AN 03!
I have 46,000 miles on my 03 and it is running strong. I love my 03
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

I think when you first bought the car, it may have been pretty beat up on, sorry that you had to go through such problems. Buying used can be like flipping a coin. More often then not the new owner will be pleased with his or her purchase, but on ocassion a person can buy a real problem car.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I had an 03 and I was unfortunately plagued by the p0300 disease!!! I sent it to the dealer several times and had 4 ecu "reflashes" by Mitsu. Eventually I took matters in my own hands and permanently resolved my p0300....I'll post that in another thread!........dont get an 03!
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
PS DONT EVER GET AN 03!
The only real maintenance/reliability issue with '03 Evos has to do with the transfer case lube. You need to be **** about chaning the gear lube regularly...like with every second oil change (i.e., 5-6K miles). And you have to use the proper lube, which most people do not (for some reason). Once you do that, the car is dead reliable.

It sounds like you got stuck with a car that was beaten up a bit. And you made things worse for yourself by going to bad mechanics. A clutch job that takes a full week of 8 hour days??? That's unheard of.

Emre
Old Sep 2, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayaalp
It sounds like you got stuck with a car that was beaten up a bit. And you made things worse for yourself by going to bad mechanics. A clutch job that takes a full week of 8 hour days??? That's unheard of.

Emre

+1

And a 40hr week for a clutch replacement - holy cow. I did it with my mech. in 2 afternoons - maybe 3 or 4 hrs total of work.