Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Two gauge questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Two gauge questions

I have some VDO vision series gauges I was getting ready to mount. I started dusting them off (they were installed in my Tiburon a long time ago, but have been in a box for about a year now).

First:
The boost/vacuum gauge is reading about 1 mmHg at rest. There does not seem to be any way to recenter the needle. With the light out, I can see the mechanism and move the needle both directions fine, so it is not stuck. With a tube and lung power I found I can generate 10 mmHg vacuum and 2 psi boost I put a call into VDO and am hoping they can either fix it, swap it, or tell me how to adjust it. But in the meantime, any advice?

Second:
The oil pressure gauge only goes up to 100 psi. That was more than enough for the old car, but I've been reading around here and it seems the 150psi gauges are more prevalent. Can I get by with the 100 psi, or will the needle be pegged the whole time? I primarily want it for low oil pressure warnings, so I'm thinking it might work, but wanted your all's opinions before I installed it.

Aside:
42draftdesigns seems like a great place. I was looking at their gauge solutions and pricing is comparable with Summit or egauges.com, but they include stuff that's hard to find locally like tubing, connectors, adapters, wiring splices. Having done a lot of this stuff on my old car, I know how frustrating it can be trying a dozen different adapters or converting BSP to NPT threads. Definitely worth a look.

Thanks for the help,
AC