Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO <vs> R32

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Dont the STI seat fold down?

Uhhh..I beg to differ...My friend has STi seats in his WRX wagon and there is a handle that is used to fold the seat down....I wish the EVO VIII Recaro's had the handle instead of the stupid knob..so much more efficient!
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:41 AM
byt
Evolving Member

s6 avant
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kendrick
I realize this is an Evo forum, but enthusiats are enthusiates and they tend to be a great resource.

I have a 03 evo and am kicking around the idea of selling it to purchase a R32. I love the way the car drives when I'm getting after it and realize that handling wise I will be disappointed with any car I own until I can afford a 911. The issue is that I tend to do a lot of long road trips with a lot of gear in tow and would like something that is a little softer around the edges with a more refined interior. Not to mention that I need something with seats that fold down for storage of bikes, skis, and surfboards when they're not on the roof rack. Also, I want something with a lower cost of operation.

What do you know about the operation cost of the R32's?

What problems have R32 owners had.

Does anyone here own both cars?

Has anyone drive both cars and how do they compare?

Thanks for your input.
Just save your money for the 911
I'm already have way through~ 2000 Porsche 911 coming soon!!!
I love the EVO tho but 911 is the ultimate sports car, so freaking SEXY!!
umm.. R32.. yea I like the Skyline R32 GTR... hehe
sorry for off topic
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:07 PM

I have to disagree with a lot of this. First of all, the Blue Book Value of the .:R was only released 2 weeks ago, and the value has INCREASED over the past year! Used .:R's with 15k miles are selling for $36,000, and they were bought new for $29,000. Yes, i like the Evo, but I'm pretty sure its value is depreciating over time (unlike the .:R).

Second dispute...Yes the Evo is quicker, but the .:R handles in the same category. It is extreemly responsive, and the clutch is smooth like silk. Feel free to disagree ( i know this won't be well received), but it is the truth. I race them often, and my car is stock.

Hey....we can agree to disagree on certain points. The Evo is still hot. I like the .:R better, but that is personal prefence. Frankly, I think most of you guys are pretty cool on this forum. I came over to see how bad you'd be, and was pleasantly surprised. I love my .:R, but I can also recogize that the Evo is hot.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

I hate VW,since my last car was a vw passat 2.0.
very slow and in the wrx price range.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

subaru legacy, is250, bmw 330xi, audi a4 quattro, used audi s4, actually id look at a used audi s4 if i was you
Old Nov 12, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BuffsR
Second dispute...Yes the Evo is quicker, but the .:R handles in the same category. It is extreemly responsive, and the clutch is smooth like silk. Feel free to disagree ( i know this won't be well received), but it is the truth. I race them often, and my car is stock.
It doesn't handle in the same category, otherwise it would be in the same SCCA class...
Old Nov 12, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

not a big fan of the VW
Old Nov 12, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

i have an evo and my dad has an R32.

The exhaust on the r32 is pretty loud on long trips.

The cost is about 30k for new one used you cane find for like 22-23k.

It doesnt have true all wheel drive after 60 or so it switches to front wheel drive, it only has AWD when your front tires start to lose traction.

There's no spare in the trunk due to the awd.

The interior is really nice is has cruise control, 6 speed, sunroof, nice sound.

It seems like this car would be good for you but a wrx would probably be cheaper and just as nice.

My dad gets about 27MPG, and he drives pretty normal.

I hope that helped.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by evotec
I hate VW,since my last car was a vw passat 2.0.
very slow and in the wrx price range.
You can' t possibly be passing judgment on the .:R based on a 2.0 Pasat!!!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 03:08 PM

yeah the new wrx's have options for leather, sunroof, sound system everything the r32 has and the wrx's are a little bit faster and most likely handle better (im not 100 percent sure because ive only test driven a wrx, not an r32). Another thing is that you can get a brand new wrx for about the same price as a used VW r32.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

^^^there's really no comparison between an R32 and a base wrx. the R is a much nicer car and, while possibly comparable in straight line speed (?), it's also a much better all-around performer. i'd take the R over the wrx in a heartbeat.

R32 vs. evo is a tough call. personally, i prefer the no-compromise performance of the evo but others may prefer the luxury and softer ride of the R. used R32's are in very high demand for a reason.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Madison
R32 vs. evo is a tough call. personally, i prefer the no-compromise performance of the evo but others may prefer the luxury and softer ride of the R. used R32's are in very high demand for a reason.
This is pretty much how I look at it. If you want a very comfortable, nice-looking car that has great overall performance, then get the R32. If you want raw, max performance with no frills, then get the Evo. Just don't get upset when you buy an R32 and can't keep up with Evos even with lots of money spent on mods. Likewise, if you get the Evo, don't complain about creeks and rattles, a crappy stereo, and plastic interior.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mooreboost
R32's are slow as *****.

And I have never been impressed with VW quality.
you have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyway, I've owned both now, had the R32 for a year (46,000 miles) and recently switched over to the Evo about a month ago (6000 miles).. I've posted a few threads with indepth reviews, and I'll post the links below..

Long story short, if you are looking for more than just performance, you will absolutely LOVE the R32. Maintenance costs can be high, but you can save a great deal if you do the simple stuff yourself (oil changes, haldex fluid changes, etc)..

My thread on VWvortex when I sold my R32

My thread on EvoM when I joined
Old Nov 14, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

A friend of mine ran a 13.6 in the 1/4 with just an intake and I think a chip or somethin. Not sure exactly what he had, but an r32 is NOT a slow car.