Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO <vs> R32

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO <vs> R32

I realize this is an Evo forum, but enthusiats are enthusiates and they tend to be a great resource.

I have a 03 evo and am kicking around the idea of selling it to purchase a R32. I love the way the car drives when I'm getting after it and realize that handling wise I will be disappointed with any car I own until I can afford a 911. The issue is that I tend to do a lot of long road trips with a lot of gear in tow and would like something that is a little softer around the edges with a more refined interior. Not to mention that I need something with seats that fold down for storage of bikes, skis, and surfboards when they're not on the roof rack. Also, I want something with a lower cost of operation.

What do you know about the operation cost of the R32's?

What problems have R32 owners had.

Does anyone here own both cars?

Has anyone drive both cars and how do they compare?

Thanks for your input.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

i drove the r32 and was NOT impressed at all...it was just to smooth for me. i didnt feel "one" with the car. but that's just me..the reason why i bought the evo was because it was a drivers car. i didnt feel that when i test drove the r32.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't feel like answering all those questions, since they can be found in tons of places if you just make an effort, but I will say that it sounds to me like the R32 is perfect for you. It does not compare to the Evo in terms of performance, whether straight line or twisty, but it is much more comfortable, much nicer on the insides, and much more tame for long trips. Add in the fact that it has the folding seats and you have a perfect car for you that is still fast, still has AWD, and still looks nice.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dont the STI seat fold down?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Nope
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

There is little to no comparison between handling and ride between both cars. I hate the way VW shifters feel. Any pre 2005 GTI variant just feels sloppy from the factory compared to the EVO. Comfort is another story. The GTI is a very comfortable car and the interior is very nice.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:48 AM

I have posted a similar thread on the VWvortex site.

When posting on a vw forum I'll get VW biased replies, and when posting on an EVO forum I'll naturally get Evo biased replies. I figured I'd do both then decide what to do. Since I recently installed a new clutch & flywheel I'll most likely keep the evo through the winter then re-evaluate the situation. But am worried about the devaluation of the car. I have about 55k miles on it already.

Still looking for more info and am certain that some body out there owns both cars.

Thanks...
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

By a saab or wrx wagon. Plenty of space and good fuel ecomony.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kendrick

When posting on a vw forum I'll get VW biased replies, and when posting on an EVO forum I'll naturally get Evo biased replies. I figured I'd do both then decide what to do. Since I recently installed a new clutch & flywheel I'll most likely keep the evo through the winter then re-evaluate the situation. But am worried about the devaluation of the car. I have about 55k miles on it already.

Still looking for more info and am certain that some body out there owns both cars.

Thanks...
how about why not instead of just taking other peoples' opinions you do some of your own research?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigfishs
By a saab or wrx wagon. Plenty of space and good fuel ecomony.
the saab 9-2x looks nice!
Old Sep 2, 2005, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kendrick

Thanks...
Just for the record, our car is the best car at holding its value for any sedan
Old Sep 2, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NYREDEVO
Just for the record, our car is the best car at holding its value for any sedan
According to Edmunds, the lowest cost to own sedan in the price range (< 35k) is the Accord V6 and the lowest cost to own in the next price point (<45k) is the BMW 3 Series.

Their cost of ownership information includes the depreciation.

CoachG

P.S. The G35 Coupe is best in its class.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

I like the Saab/WRX wagon idea, or a Volvo V70 R if you can find one.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't say "lowest cost to own" Coach....How could that be even remotely possible when tires cost 1500 dollar and have to be replaced every 12K? Lol

Residual Value is what I was reffering to
Old Sep 2, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Impulsoren
I like the Saab/WRX wagon idea, or a Volvo V70 R if you can find one.
I had the opportunity to really put the Volvo V70R wagon and S60R sedan through their paces. I wasn't too impressed. Here's a link to my very detailed review of Volvo's "R" range if you're interested.

I like the idea of the WRX/Saab wagon. Or maybe the Subaru Legacy GT sedan or wagon.

Emre