Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Victory in Traffic Court !!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good job, my attorney has gotten me out of 3 wreckless ops now lolol my tickets were gay, one was on private property going 32 behind walmart its like a private road to the movie theatre, its 15 posted. the other one was chirped tires into 2nd gear. then another was drifting in the snow in my dad's office own parkinglot i got outta that one jus tbecause it was my dads office. but the officer was given me a hard time and i just got pissed at him im like write me a ****ing ticket god.... i thought we could do whatever we want on our own land...

Last edited by EVO8 WHOA; Sep 2, 2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jo & Joey
This is about the funniest and long winded thread I've seen yet! LMAO

Ppl going around saying things like "if I don't get caught, it's not a crime". HA!! Don't let them fool you, they are the most guilty ones of all. Anyone that tells you, you should just own up to your crime are putting on a fasude. Hell they'd do just about anything to get out of something like that.

Not all cops are dicks...I have some good friends that are cops and have known honest ones, however, most of your typical officers are out for job security, or has control issues (why they joined the force to begin with)....hence the usual blacket statements. evo743, you know which cops those are and shake your head at them, saying things like "you guys are the reason we get such a bad rap".

Where is a good officer when you need one?!
I know exactly what your saying. It's usually on the 11 o'clock news and 6 cops are beating the sh** out of some poor dude for looking at them funny. When I see that, I just shake my head because I know that many more people will also see it and give them a reason to hate cops. I do my job to the best of my ability, and alot of times I will not give someone a cite if they're honest and courtesous. Remember, 99% of officers will listen to you, and not be a dick... but theres always that 1% that will be a hard *** with you because they have power issues
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

I would hope and pray that more officers such as yourself would follow what you stated earlier more consistently, and I quote -

"I do my job to the best of my ability, and alot of times I will not give someone a cite if they're honest and courtesous. Remember, 99% of officers will listen to you, and not be a dick... "

But it does lead me back to my point about citations being a "discrentionary" thing. Posted speed limits are there but the LAW truly states whay is "safe under the given circumstances", this is exactly why you have the authority and discretion to either write a citation or a warning.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Man I cannot type tonight if my life depended on it.

I feel dyslexic with all those typos.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by markeddy
I would hope and pray that more officers such as yourself would follow what you stated earlier more consistently, and I quote -

"I do my job to the best of my ability, and alot of times I will not give someone a cite if they're honest and courtesous. Remember, 99% of officers will listen to you, and not be a dick... "

But it does lead me back to my point about citations being a "discrentionary" thing. Posted speed limits are there but the LAW truly states whay is "safe under the given circumstances", this is exactly why you have the authority and discretion to either write a citation or a warning.
Close enough. Its called "spirit" of the law versus "letter" of the law. Unless it is a misdemenear offense or higher, then we have to take action.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
I got a ticket which alleged I was going 82 mph in a 65 mph zone on the freeway in Los Angeles last January.
I find it strange you think it is ok to do 18mph shy of 100mph on a highway at any time of the day. Morning shouldn't make a difference.

Also, the posted speed limits are made for certain road situation that happen like a tire blowing out and be able to control your car safely. This speed is chosen so when mechanical failure or what I'm describing happens, it doesn't cause a serious accident with other cars on the road.

Your car or any car for that matter is much easier to control at the posted 65mph-speed limit in a situation like this than 82mph if the tire did blow out. The car company’s and government does testing just for things like that. The posted limits are there for a reason. Just keeping it real.

Congrats on beating the law in this case, but please be safe. Take it to a track where those excessive speeds are legal.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Actually posted limits are there for 2 reasons -

1. The 1970's oil crunch in which a mandated 55mph posted limit was mandatory by the Federal government.

2. For the federal government to withhold funding if certain states don't comply then they are held hostage and don't receive federal dollars.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

I feel more than compentent to drive at a high rate of speed safely than I do at or under the speed limit. At 34 years of age I have been riding sportbikes since 1996 and have owned high performance vehicles since I was 21 when I bought my first 1992 Z28 by working my but off from 2 jobs.

Driving 85-90MPH is a comfortable speed for me especially in an EVO that can out perform, handle, and brake better than 90% of the vehicles out there.

I don't see much of a difference between 55 mph and 70 mph. Todays automobiles can travel at 70 mph safely. This is all about the revenue, not safety.

If it was about safety, the gov't could prohibit the auto industry from selling cars that can travel 100 mph plus. This is best described as state sponsored extortion, with the added bonus of a cop sticking his snout in your car, and maybe finding something undesirable in your ashtray, hence more interference in your affairs, and more revenue.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Actually posted limits are there for 2 reasons -

1. The 1970's oil crunch in which a mandated 55mph posted limit was mandatory by the Federal government.

2. For the federal government to withhold funding if certain states don't comply then they are held hostage and don't receive federal dollars.
Most of the posted limits today are based on testing being done for safer cars and safer roads. We're not talking about why they were originally implemented but rather why they are what they are in society present day.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

I feel more than compentent to drive at a high rate of speed safely than I do at or under the speed limit.

Driving 85-90MPH is a comfortable speed for me especially in an EVO that can out perform, handle, and brake better than 90% of the vehicles out there.
You summed it up right there. The Evo can out perform many other cars on the road today. What do you think happens when the old lady who doesn't comprehend you going faster than the posted limit and pulls right out in front of you. She sees a car a good distance off but doesn't comprehend your speed and the distance needed when she pulls out.

Most people on the road don't expect to have to react to someone excessively speeding nor should they have too.

When they are on the highway looking in a side mirror and see you a decent distance behind in the lane next to them. Then when they start to merge over and see you are coming up faster than the speed they are doing it may cause them to react in a manner that could be dangerous.

Having to swerve out of the way while doing 65mph is tougher for some of the older crowd. You need to respect all drivers on the road because you never know who is behind the other wheel and what driving abilities they might have or lack.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Good job. If everyone did a trial by declaration or fought their tickets, we wouldn't have bs enforcement. It's one thing to be endangering folks street racing etc. but a bs speeding ticket on an open road is just that- bs...
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

I feel more than compentent to drive at a high rate of speed safely than I do at or under the speed limit.
I find that comment amusing. How can you feel safer at a higher rate of speed? Ask any race car driver if driving at a high rate of speed can be considered "safely" especially on a daily driven car not equipped with a roll cage.

Most professional drivers know that when they get in a car that IS fully equipped with roll cages and safety equipment serious injury can and will still happen at high rates of speed.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Please....please...

Posted speed limits have NOTHING to do with safety today, and WHY they were implemented has EVERYTHING to do with why they are what they are today.

1. People today have the same bad habits as they did 10,20,30 years ago (i.e. driving too slow, failure to yield to faster traffic in left lane, tailgating, weavin in and out of traffic, etc.).

2. On 80% of the roads we have speed limits that are identical to what they were 30+ years ago but the cars we have today outhandle, outperform, and outbrake 100x better and more safely than anything on the road in the last 20 years.

3. Public safety was not the motivation behind speed limits or speeding tickets. Revenue is. It's a big money maker in rural areas.

I want a society where the police investigate murder, rape, and robbery; instead of sitting on the side of the road and waiting to extort and harass drivers.

I'll take a good driver going 80 mph in front of me over a bad driver going 55 mph any day.

Your position that speed limits are for safety doesn't hold water, as for this testing show me proof that this is the case.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Why is it funny that I feel more comfortable driving above the speed limit.

Go drive 10 miles under the speed limit and tell me you feel safer.

You are silly, go sit down.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

I guess you didn't read my posts close enough about driving at what I call "a high rate of speed" which would be 85 or 90 in a posted 65/70MPH zone.

If you have every ridden a motorcycle you would know what I mean. You drive offensively and stay in front of traffic which allows you more control over the situation and environment ahead of and behind you.

Simple as pie.