Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Victory in Traffic Court !!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard EVO
It's not attorneys who can speed without consequences. It's OFF DUTY COPS. My cousin is a seargent with the LAPD. He has a police ID card like all cops do, and it looks pretty much the same nationwide. He was on vacation in New York and was speeding in a rental car. A cop pulled him over. My cousin flashed his police ID and the N.Y. cop aplogized, "sorry sir, I didn't know" and let him go in his way. Cops call this "professional courtesy." I call it BS.

+1

Old Sep 3, 2005, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shawnhayes
The system is the system. If you believe in the law- obey it - all the time, every time. If you don't, then you're just "working" the sytem in another way - you're obeying the law only when you want to, and going out of your way to avoid getting caught. That's no morally better than someone who fights prosecution once they've gotten caught - they're just working the system later.

We all know the difference between a crime of true harm, and just simple foolhardiness. I fail to see the difference between choosing to ignore the law and accepting the penalty than choosing to ignore the law and fighting the penalty. The crime was ignoring the law.

Shawn
not everyone agrees with ALL of the laws in their country. everyone is within their right to disregard whatever laws they want *as long as they are directly hurting nobody. if the government thought that speeding was so serious, they would have made it an offense punishable by death and made sure all of their cop cars were officially calibrated. as it is, the guy got away with breaking a law that he did not agree with. you should be happy for him.

strike

Last edited by strikethree; Sep 3, 2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 03:20 AM
Evolving Member

Not to bring you bad karma, but this happened to me and the cop rescheduled a court date!
Old Sep 4, 2005, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

kelmar stop been an a s s
Old Sep 4, 2005, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOONYOASS
I guess if you need to justify your need to speed on public roads with some of this mumbo jumbo...have at it. Just remember you're putting the lives of other people at risk who are obeying the law.

Why do you think they do test for braking distance at certain speeds?
Why do they do swerving test at certain speeds?

Safe speed limits are also set for alternate weather conditions like rain.
Why do they do certain test in the rain at certain speeds?

I take it these test are not done for safety?

The speed limits have varied throught the decades back and forth give or take 10mph. They were once lowered back in the 70's, then raised and again lowered in the 80's for safety. They were then raised back up even though national death rates increased from excessive speeding. There were too many deaths on the raod due to unsafe posted speed limits.

If you're over 30 like me then you would remember when they did this. Do you? Did they not lower them for safety because I remember everybody getting pissed off because of this. It was clearly stated back then it was done for public safety.

If you kill somebodys family member from speeding on the highway, try explaining to them you felt more comfortable driving that fast but didn't think you would hurt somebody. Do you actually think the people that die every day from excessive speeding thought they were in control of the situation before death happened? Most of them did, but I bet 100% of them would not speed if they had known that was going to happen.

People drive like idiots weaving in and out of traffic at 100mph so I couldn't imagine everybody doing it. Not everybody has the driving ability at those speeds nor do people have the ability to react to others driving that fast. Its not safe!

I do have a question for you. If speed limits are set for our safety in mind. Then why is the Autobahn in Germany one of the safest highways in the world? I think we need to implement driving tests every 10 years.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good deal. I always fight mine too, well have the attorney do it anyways! Last time the public defender didnt fax something back in time or something so my case was thrown out
Old Sep 4, 2005, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by EVO8UT
I do have a question for you. If speed limits are set for our safety in mind. Then why is the Autobahn in Germany one of the safest highways in the world? I think we need to implement driving tests every 10 years.
i would like to see them maybe every 5 years and GREATLY increase the difficulty. another nice thing might be lane limits. max AND min. faster as you move left.

also i dont believe for a minute any of these people that say they dont speed. utter bull****. if theyre for real i hope they keep their pokey *** in the right lanes and yeild to faster traffic because thats where a lot of our road rage comes from. dumb****s blocking the fastlane and getting mad when people pass them on the right.

to whoever fights their tickets!
Old Sep 4, 2005, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

If anyone has an EVO or a car that feels as good to drive fast as this one does I am certain they have broken the speed laws in it either every day or on many occasions - if they want to lie and say they don't every speed - fine. Lawyers can always come up with the best excuses as to why breaking the law is OK for them and their clients. This post and the opinions it is generating shows the polarity of how some feel that it is a victory and others see it as another a-hole lawyer finding a loophole like they always do.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8UT
In Germany, as well as most of Europe, driving is a privilege not a right. The license tests, both the written and the driving, are very very stringent. Trucks are not allowed on the Autobahn. Contrary to popular belief, it has speed limits in certain sections. The Autobahn is an engineering marvel of sorts. The concrete is even poured to strict specifications and entire sections are removed when a crack or pot hole is found.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

last time i was at the dmv, i watched a lady with a walker fail the vision test several times. when i left, she was getting her license pic taken. you mean to tell me a person who can barely walk or see has the reaction time and vision to drive a car?!?!!? its scary!
Old Sep 4, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

I do know the autobahn has speed limits. One big diffrence between between our highways and theirs are the drivers. People know in germany if you see a car coming really fast behind you, you move. In America people see you coming and they just drive slower.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Darwinian
If anyone has an EVO or a car that feels as good to drive fast as this one does I am certain they have broken the speed laws in it either every day or on many occasions - if they want to lie and say they don't every speed - fine. Lawyers can always come up with the best excuses as to why breaking the law is OK for them and their clients. This post and the opinions it is generating shows the polarity of how some feel that it is a victory and others see it as another a-hole lawyer finding a loophole like they always do.

Perhaps, law enforcement officers and our policy makers should be
required to follow the same laws that they make and enforce without
special privledges, or so called professional courtesy. I think this is really
the issue here.

Also we as citizens have a right and resonsiblity to keep or our government
and policy makers in check. Remember, they work for us, not us for them.
It is us, the citizens that pay the taxes for maintance on the roads,
law enforcement, etc... etc...

As mentioned in this post earlier, perhaps it is time to reaccess some
of the antiquated policies that where put into effect many years ago.
Todays automobiles have better handling and braking capabilites, as well
as safety features incorporated, more so than ever before.

IMO, I feel that a 65mph speed limit during off rush hour traffic, should be
brought up to more contemporary standards.

Last edited by Spec'd; Sep 4, 2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

I honestly think the speeding laws are too lax for us.

You guys have to realize that this is an evolution board, most of us can drive 160 3-4 times a day and not flinch or break a sweat.

Then you have the rest of the population 99.999999 who are afraid to lane change, talk on the cell phone, just general people who are not up to your expectations

Then again you have to realize that you drive an import. It is a high end import, but an import nonetheless. Cops dont have the time to cruise these boards and realize we can drive, they only see a civic or a focus wrapped around a tree. All that done with only 110~ bhp. Imagine what they think when they hear 400whp and above. Most of our general population (imports) have given us a verrrryyyyyyy bad name.

The rules were set in place for everyone, if it was just OUR own evom highway, the limit would easily be 100, and i would be comfortable driving alongside you guys. Normal highway? forget it, im always watching out for that lady in the h2 with blang blang 56 inch rims that make her 60-0 distance seven thousand feet while shes on the cell phone doing 80 weaving through the highway while its raining.

I think that we can handle the speeds, but honestly people are just too stupid to realize the fast lane is for *gasp* higher speeds. They think if they are in that lane they get teleported to their destination even while going 55.

I think the cop was right to pull you over, you could have been drunk, or maybe he thought you were one of the import drivers who wear no fear shirts and drink red bull with the linkin park so loud they cant hear an ambulance coming. I honestly think you could handle that speed, but the cop was just trying to do his job, albeit it wasnt warranted for you. I dont think you deserved the ticket, and im happy that at least one of us has gotten out of something stupid, but we have to realize that the laws are there for everyone, not just evom drivers, so they naturally will **** us off (65?!?!).

I am nowhere near perfect i probably break the law everyday. Cops are like fishing nets, trying to catch all the bad drivers and people that CAN and WILL harm us, but sometimes one of the good guys gets caught in the net. If its a bad ticket then i think EVERYONE should fight them (i got one for going 48 in a 45, judge laughed it off) , but when i do something stupid ill realize that i could have killed a kid or something that i wouldnt be able to live with, then you kind of understand why the cops are there in the first place. There are plenty of dick ones and fighting tickets should be more commonplace

Richard congrats i completely agree with you, score one for the good guys

evom : 1
usgov: eleventy billion
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:46 PM

Hey Richard Evo, I had the same thing happen to me. Instead of waiting an hour and a half, my name was called first and the presiding judge told all of us (about 8) that the cop didn't show up and the cases were dismissed. You should have seen the look on the state prosecutors face. Priceless. He was all like but no judge, some of the cases are pretty series, and the judge is like cases dismissed and we all filed out. All the other people in court were like NOOOOOO WAY!! But they gave us high fives and **** and were saying **** like that never happens consider yourself lucky. It wasn't all great though. I paid my lawyer $500 right before stepping in court (damn guy!!!) and like 10min later my case was dismissed. Guy got $500 richer in a matter of minutes. Oh well. I saved insurance in the long run and didn't get a point or two on my license. THe point is...
ALWAYS FIGHT TICKETS...NEVER KNOW WHAT'LL HAPPEN