Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Victory in Traffic Court !!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victory in Traffic Court !!!

I got a ticket which alleged I was going 82 mph in a 65 mph zone on the freeway in Los Angeles last January. I decided to fight it (as I always do). I appeared on the date on the ticket in and asked to be arraigned in person, so that I could force them to give me a speedy trial (within 45 days after arraignment under Calif. law). They gave me an arriagnment date in late July!. I went to the arriagnment and pled not guilty. The court gave me a trail date of today (Sept. 2).

I went to court this morning prepared to defend myself. I had a good defense ready and a pretty decent chance of winning. I was checking out all the police officers in the courtroom, looking at their name badges to see if Officer Berg showed up or not. I couldn't find him, but there were a couple of cops in street clothes and no name badge, so I couldn't be sure.

The judge tooK the bench a 9:30 (an hour late) and said the first thing she would do is dismiss all the cases where the cop did not show up. She called about six defendant names and dismissed them. I was not one of them, so I assumed my cop was in the courtroom. I waited another hour and a half, while about 4 trials went on. All 4 were found guilty. Then the court called my case.

I said Good Morning, Your Honor. She said the cop did not show up and my case was dismissed. I said Thank You Your Honor and left, not bothering to ask why I wasn't let go with the other dismissals earlier.

Victory is mine. I get my $200+ bail back an no point on my license. I doesn't matter how you win. Good defenses or cop no-show. ALWAYS FIGHT YOUR TICKETS!!!

Last edited by Richard EVO; Sep 2, 2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

IMO... if you did the crime, pay the time (or money)
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
congrats!! i almost always drive faster that your 82 on a 65 but i haven't gotten a ticket yet, must be end of the month when u got ur ticket?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kelmar
IMO... if you did the crime, pay the time (or money)
The "crime" was driving at a reasonable speed at 6:00 am on a wide open freeway. If you wanna bend over and take it, that's your business. I will always fight back.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

***** Yeah!!!!!!
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
The "crime" was driving at a reasonable speed at 6:00 am on a wide open freeway. If you wanna bend over and take it, that's your business. I will always fight back.
The crime was driving faster than the speed limit that you agreed to when you got your drivers license It doesn't matter if it's an open highway at 6am.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:32 PM

Your lucky the cop didn't show up because if that was your defense they would have laughed your *** out of the court room.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:34 PM

You got your 200 bucks back, plus your bail. But you had to go to court, what 3 times? So I'm assuming you missed some work. Does it really pay off?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

This is one of few times when the bad guy end up winning
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

I'm an attorney, not an idiot. The defense was that in Calif., when an officer determines speed using the pacing method and his speedometer, the speedo must be calibrated. I conducted pre-trial discovery and found out that the state planned to introduce a piece of paper that purported to be a speedo calibration form. It was not certified, it was done by a non-government agency, and it was highly unlikely that they would bring the custodian of records from the testing service to testify how the test was performed, that the form was what it appeared to be, and was prepared in the ordinary course of business.

Therefore, the calibration form was inadmissible hearsay. I have won before with this defense. I don't expect most of you to understand this post, but if you do, it works.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:41 PM

I'm an attorney, not an idiot. The defense was that in Calif., when an officer determines speed using the pacing method and his speedometer, the speedo must be calibrated. I conducted pre-trial discovery and found out that the state planned to introduce a piece of paper that purported to be a speedo calibration form. It was not certified, it was done by a non-government agency, and it was highly unlikely that they would bring the custodian of records from the testing service to testify how the test was performed, that the form was what it appeared to be, and was prepared in the ordinary course of business.

Therefore, the calibration form was inadmissible hearsay. I have won before with this defense. I don't expect most of you to understand this post, but if you do, it works.
I don't get it, why not take the punishment instead of trying to work the system. It's $200 bucks for god sakes. Take the ****ing ticket.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4cefedgst
I don't get it, why not take the punishment instead of trying to work the system. It's $200 bucks for god sakes. Take the ****ing ticket.
I'm really surprised by the response to this thread. I thought you guys were EVO owners, not Casper Milquetoast. LMFAO

Speeding tickets are just a racket to raise money for the city by extracting a tax from motorists. Plus, the ticket would have cost me at least $1,000 over the next three years on my insurance.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

I'm really surprised by the response to this thread. I thought you guys were EVO owners, not Casper Milquetoast. LMFAO

Speeding tickets are just a racket to raise money for the city by extracting a tax from motorists. Plus, the ticket would have cost me at least $1,000 over the next three years on my insurance.
Well, you tell us that you squeezed your way (or were going to squeeze your way) out of a ticket that you deserved on a technicality. Did you expect an applause???

The way I see it, if I didn't want to pay the extra grand then I would stop speeding.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

I will give an appluase. Good job. They get enough money out of us anyways.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 07:55 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4cefedgst
You're forgetting the possible years of increased insurance premiums for having a ticket on your record.

Congratulations, Richard Evo.

To all you "negative" posters, if a cop pulls you over tomorrow for speeding and says he'll just give you a verbal warning, how many of you will say, "No officer, I was speeding. Give me a ticket."

I'll bet not one of you.