Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hard ride on rough roads

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2003, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard ride on rough roads

I know this is a sports car, and it might have very well been the brick paver road we were on but it was such a rough ride i couldnt talk I was jarred beond belief. It was like trying to talk when you are beating on your chest bone.awa wawwawwawaw.

This road was maybe 1/4 mile long, and we were going about 25mph.

When we got on regular roads, semi smooth it was that bad. Very tight and hard sprung.

So what are some of your ideas from recent evo8 owners?
Can you live with it? Im test driving mine today to be sure I will be able to live with it, But I think I can
Old Mar 7, 2003, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

We have known for a long time that the suspension is very harsh by passanger car standards. And that the NVH in the car is very high in general.

If you are questioning yourself at all about whether you can live with the harshness, you should seriously think twice about getting an Evo.

SC~ who says... Even if the car rides like an American Flyer wagon on a gravel driveway, I'll still love it.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Hey man, that's what the car is all about... It's good and it's bad at the same time... That's why I will not pay over msrp cause it's certain things that I need to sacrifice to have this automobile... It's worth what it's listed for, no more... Good luck!!
Old Mar 7, 2003, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Well i have wanted a sports car for some time now, Im going to do it!!!!!!

What the hell, it should hold its value if I decided I dont care for it.

Maybe softer shocks or somthing down the road?

But Im sure when I hit the go fast pedal,,,,,, the only thing I will care about is my perma-grinn!
Fed ex needs to get their asses HERE!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 7, 2003, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

For real... As soon as the dealer calls me to tell me that they have arrived, I'm leaving work immediately... Then the wrestling will begin... I'm gonna go in full uniform with my handcuffs jingling... If they try to rip me I'll be super pissed!! Been waiting too damn long to play games...
Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:17 AM

Have you guys ever ridden in sporty cars w/ aftermarket suspension? I'm just curious as to how the stock ride in the EVO would compare to something along those lines.
I've got Bilstein shocks along with Intrax springs and 18 inch wheels on my BMW, and it is really stiff and kind of harsh on bumpy roads, but I tend to like that because the handling characteristics are SO much better than stock!
So do any of you have experience where you could make a comparison like that?
Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by silvrevo
Well i have wanted a sports car for some time now, Im going to do it!!!!!!

What the hell, it should hold its value if I decided I dont care for it.

Maybe softer shocks or somthing down the road?

But Im sure when I hit the go fast pedal,,,,,, the only thing I will care about is my perma-grinn!
Fed ex needs to get their asses HERE!!!!!!!!!!
Go ahead and upset the cars balance with softer shocks. Then you'll find out what understeer is all about when your sliding off the road.

Trust me... engineers are smarter than us. They know what works in this car and what you get is what works. Complain about a rough ride then go buy something else.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Believe it or not, they actually slightly softened the ride for the U.S. Spec. This car is not for you then - it is an ALL OUT RALLY SPORTS CARS. The ride is HARSH. It is not for long road trips.

Mike
Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

All sports car ride that way...its how you get that awesome grip of the EVO

plus...would you rather not feel everything in the road wit ha car that expensive with that kinda power?
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Just went out and drove mine about a half hour ago. The ride is a bit bumpy, but everything else brings it together like a dream.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by VOLSBimmer
Have you guys ever ridden in sporty cars w/ aftermarket suspension? I'm just curious as to how the stock ride in the EVO would compare to something along those lines.
I've got Bilstein shocks along with Intrax springs and 18 inch wheels on my BMW, and it is really stiff and kind of harsh on bumpy roads, but I tend to like that because the handling characteristics are SO much better than stock!
So do any of you have experience where you could make a comparison like that?
VOLS,

I have a full suspension in my eclipse and driving in the evo didnt seem out of the ordinary for me. It actually felt smoother than my eclipse. I've got tokico shocks, eibach pro-kit, fulyl adjustable camber 3 degrees each way, and more suspension dodads. It felt far more solid and balanced than my eclipse....probably because it's ligher. I didnt notice anything harsh. I can understand someone that hasnt had a tight suspension before thinking it's harsh. I've been driving my car like this for 5 years so i'm totally sed ot it. Driving something like that inifiniti m45 was really weird. It felt like it swayed a lot. I think it will be the same or better than your BMW....i havent driven the evo, but i've been a passenger twice already.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

"havent driven the evo, but i've been a passenger twice already. "

DICK Stop rubbing it in Coolguy....
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

LOL.....i didnt mean it to come out that way.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

I'm kidding... Just very envious...!!