Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will this hurt tranny / clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will this hurt tranny / clutch?

Hi guys i'm trying different driving style to see if gas mileage will improve.
What i'm doing is first gear up til 3krpm and shift to 3rd (skpping 2nd), and up till 3.5k or almost 4k then upshift to 5th.
has anyone try this? will it hurt gearbox / tranny?

the shift is quite smooth from first to third but due to gear ratio i have to rev up until almost 4krpm to get some smooth shift --> this will leave the RPM to around 2krpm @ around 40-45 MPH

hopefully it's going to save some gas?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I dont think that it will hurt the tranny, but I also dont think that it will aid in saving gas. Just dont rev past 3000, the turbo wont spool and you WILL save gas without having to go from 1-3..etc
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:55 AM

i don't think we bought this car to save gas fellas...
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah that seems sorta pointles... Just shift at 2.5k You might boost a lil, like 1-4 psi but thats fine. As long as you arnt hitting bit boost, in high rpms, then you're ok!
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

don't hit boost. plus you'll save a little wear on your synchros by shifting at a lower rpm.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Drink less alcohol. Eat in instead of eating out one night. Pass on some snacks when you're shopping at the supermarket. I'm not being a smartass. Some simple and minor wallet management will offset this gas price increase.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exciting News
Drink less alcohol. Eat in instead of eating out one night. Pass on some snacks when you're shopping at the supermarket. I'm not being a smartass. Some simple and minor wallet management will offset this gas price increase.
Yeah plus I don't know about you guys but gas prices are going back down around here. It only cost me 40 this week to fill up instead of 50 last week.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Just keep an eye on that boost guage and dont go over 0. I know its hard with the stock turbo but it can be done! Youll notice a serious increase in gas mileage if you previously boost all over the place... like me! Ive been driving much more conservatively lately though.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

When your car bogs and shudders when shift like that, it's putting extra wear on your rods. Too much load at too low of an RPM.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just shift between 2.5k to 3k rpm and u will find great improvement in mileage... almost double mileage than when boosting a lot. This is what i have found.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
When your car bogs and shudders when shift like that, it's putting extra wear on your rods. Too much load at too low of an RPM.
What are you talking about!? Rods?!! It would put wear on your main bearings. But only if you shift at <2k! If you shift at a reasonable rpm there is no ill effects. ie 2.5k-3k, you stay out of boost and keep your main bearings happy.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I shift between 2-3k, sometimes even as high as 4k but with light load on the gas pedal. You can go up in revs, just don't get into the boost when you're up there. My last tank was 27.7 mpg, and I'm completely stock except for the K&N. It takes some serious discipline, especially since I'm in Denver at 5k feet above sea level and without boost a Geo can whoop me off the line.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

i cant imagine this hurting your transmission at all. as long as you are shifting at an rpm where it just slides into gear without clunking or anything there shouldnt be a problem. i have done this a bunch of times wheni have people in the car who are scared of driving fast, it keeps me from boosting and keeps them happy.. how much it will help your mileage i dont know.
also i remember reading something about corvettes doing something like this, but i cant remember (****ty memory.hmm wonder why)
Old Sep 8, 2005, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDrift07It would put wear on your [u
main bearings[/u]. But only if you shift at <2k!
I apologize for spreading wrong info. What I meant was lugging the motor at a low RPM by shifting into a gear too high for the MPH you're at will cause premature wear on the upper rod bearing because there isn't sufficient oil pressure at that high of a load and that low of an RPM. I'd assume revving to ~3k in one gear and jumping into a gear two step ahead would cause the car to go under 2k RPMs in that higher gear. Again thanks for catching my mistake, I just typed out my response quicker than I had a chance to think about it :P