Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is mitsubishi trying to lie to me?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is mitsubishi trying to lie to me?

I call all the dealerships and asked them what type of fluid the transfercase takes and they tell me 80-90...so thats what i put and it messed up my transfercase... why is it that none of the dealerships here in SD have any Diaqueen?!?!?! im taking my car into mitsubishi tom to have a transfercase flush and hopefuly that will solve the oil burning and loud whining from the transfercase... do you think the noise will go away when the right fluid is put in? will my TC be weaker now that i put the wrong fluid in 2x courtesy of mitsubishi?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Ouch! How long did you have the fluid in there before it developed problems and how long did you drive on it like that? Get a Factory Service Manual. Mitsubishi dealers are clueless.

I had to call and go to 3 different dealers to get a new MAF sensor. The first 2 said they had them but when i got there they tried to sell me a Lancer ES MAF... retards!
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

i drove 200 miles with new fluid and it started getting hella noisy...so i took it to my friends shop and we emptied out shavings and black stinky fluid! i was like so i took my friends car to the dealership to get some fluid and they told me 80-90 again! so maybe im like...did i put the wrong one in? well i put that one in and no improvement! i smell the TC burning oil as i drive do u think if i take it for the flush that it will stop the noise? and if i do have to replace the TC will it be covered under warranty?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

so a total i might have been driving 400 + miles
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

and is there anyone in SD with spare Diaqueen oil! PLS IL BUY IT OFF OF YOU! ul be saving the life of an evo!
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Wow you may have killed your TC. That oil burning smell is your TC getting too hot! That fluid was not designed for the TC and that is the reason the fluid turned black and shavings came out. If your TC isnt dead its life has been significantly shortened. I doubt Mitsu will cover that under warranty cuz they are cheap bastar ds and you did the work yourself with the wrong fluid even though they told you it was right. I say get it flat bedded to mitsu and hope for the best.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
damn that sucks man, just goes to show the most mitsu dealers have no idea what they are talking about...
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

good luck
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

what do u think i should do? im bringing it in tom for the flush for 65 bucks...then im taking it in on monday for the actually examination of my TC at a different dealership...hopefully they dont know whats going on...thoughts? ideas?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

oh and by the way...i called and asked what they use at the dealership and they said they use VALVOLINE 75-90!

Last edited by evo racing; Sep 8, 2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Ok, here's what you do. Pretend that nothing has happened to your car. Ask them what to put in the TC. Then ask them to put that in writing. Now you have something to negotiate with.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
Ok, here's what you do. Pretend that nothing has happened to your car. Ask them what to put in the TC. Then ask them to put that in writing. Now you have something to negotiate with.
lol already have it in writing but no signature il try again tommorow
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

imho get it flat bedded to the place where you are getting it flushed...unless it is really close. then drive it to mitsu if it doesnt work right after the flush. they will probably be able to tell you have it flushed and refilled though. any respectable mechanic would be able to tell if you a) put in the wrong fluid. or b) just drained and refilled the TC. best of luck to you though man TC's are expensive to replace

on and off the subject, public service notice: never get your car towed. only allow it to be flat bedded. Towing the car will F up the center diff!
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

so...basically im screwed? the other dealership doesnt know about it...
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

I went to the dealer to get tranny and tc/rear diff fluid. The guy comes out with some oil and I ask, "Is that the tranny fluid or the tc fluid." His reply, "Its both." First and last time I went to Mitsubishi for anything.

Quick Reply: Is mitsubishi trying to lie to me?