Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Problems, problems ... any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wartalon do octane boosters really fouled the plugs ?? ive done extensive reaserch and have found to much contradictions on this subject!! i used NOS on my car and it started to give me a missfire code and it stutter!! also i pulled the plugs out and they were with a red color does this means they are fouled???
Old Sep 8, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys(Warrtalon & EVOFQ300),

You both know lots more than most of us here but please kill the pissing contest and share that valuable knowledge. Some of us are here have real problems and want your opinions.. all of 'em! btw, my car has a date with a leading tuner next week. He's actually built many all out race cars, for both drag and circuit.

And I did my mods in stages. Each time I tune, when its working, I go again. I plan to do everything but change the turbo and rebuild the motor (unless it blows and i'm serious).

I'll lower my boost now.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrsimon27
wartalon do octane boosters really fouled the plugs ?? ive done extensive reaserch and have found to much contradictions on this subject!! i used NOS on my car and it started to give me a missfire code and it stutter!! also i pulled the plugs out and they were with a red color does this means they are fouled???
You're scaring me here. You need to stop screwing around with your Evo and treat it properly. Do not use any "octane boosters" and do not use nitrous unless you know what the hell you're doing. I would venture to say that your plugs are fouled if they were covered in something red or whatever you were trying to say. Put in some new ones if you haven't already...
Old Sep 8, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure that he used the NOS gasoline additive. It has chemicals in it that turn the plugs a red color.

Pull the plugs, they're toast, drop the boost to 21, and get some data logging gear and learn how to tune your car in. More boost does not always = more power.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

thanks warrtalon i will change them soon!!
Old Sep 8, 2005, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

yes it was the gasoline NOS additive it claims to rise 60 points or 6 full munbers
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:02 PM
Account Disabled

Additives do just that, they look rust colored and foul plugs. We have a local who is a booster freak. From torco to NOS additives.

getfaster take a deep breath and listen to the ones that have the experience and the times/dynos to back up their abilities. Forget the rest.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Dropped my boost and cut some time off my markets. Funny thing is I'm not getting the stutter. Could be the cold air, or the fact that I raised my fuel reg to 28. Dont know but I'm almost ready for a fun weekend.

Dont think i'll interfere with the plugs right about now. Also, I'm 99% sure my the instructions with my plugs said NOT to adjust, but without the box I could be wrong.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by get faster
Dropped my boost and cut some time off my markets. Funny thing is I'm not getting the stutter. Could be the cold air, or the fact that I raised my fuel reg to 28. Dont know but I'm almost ready for a fun weekend.

Dont think i'll interfere with the plugs right about now. Also, I'm 99% sure my the instructions with my plugs said NOT to adjust, but without the box I could be wrong.
I'm sorry to say, but you're a disaster waiting to happen...
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I'm sorry to say, but you're a disaster waiting to happen...
hehehehe. I'm a bush tuner but there is a (verry little) method to my madness. But I do listen and am thankful for your input thus far.

How important is a fuel puter? Dont worry, I'll get everything mapped soon. This car's supposed to relieve my stress and it does, but hell. I have so much stress!!!

What can I say? I know I need hellp so I'm half way fixed.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Get the car SAFELY tuned by a professional so you have some piece of mind about the issue. From the types of questions your asking I hope your not planning on doing your own tuning.

Did you get the xedeflash along with your xede? Good luck on finding the bug.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 04:40 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Doogie,

Actually, I sent the ecu to vishnu but was told that while they can read it, unfortunately they were unable to write anything to it. My car is an evo 7 that was used in Japan.

While I've been tinkering to relieve stress, I admit that at this time the tuning is starting to stress me out. I'm going to an experienced tuner next week.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You should shoot for 20-21psi on 93oct for daily driving. As for the stuttering, I'm not sure, but you should probably buy a cheap set of copper NGK BPR7ES plugs ($1.40/each) at your local Autozone or Advanced Auto and slap those in. Go drive around and do some WOT pulls. If the stuttering doesn't go away, then we can do some more troubleshooting.

1) Turn your boost down to 20-21 at WOT in 3rd gear.

2) Try a fresh set of plugs.
Just sat with a junior tuner. He points out that my plugs were gapped at 1.1 (abt.041). This could be the cause of slight stutter/ backfire at WOT, so we're gonna check or change plugs and gap at .028. Will keep you updated with the results.

Again, thanks guys for all the comments.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

My caris back. Boost lowered, plugs gapped. So far no more stutter at wot.

Still cant figure why only this week that stutter started when plugs were changed months ago, maybe my pushing the boost up had something to do with it. All the time I'm tinking fuel was causing it.

Thanks guys, especially warrtalon!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by get faster
My caris back. Boost lowered, plugs gapped. So far no more stutter at wot.

Still cant figure why only this week that stutter started when plugs were changed months ago, maybe my pushing the boost up had something to do with it. All the time I'm tinking fuel was causing it.

Thanks guys, especially warrtalon!
Because they were fine when you installed them fresh, but then got fouled over time. Overboosting helps them foul more quickly...